Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ural Solo

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by mattb, Aug 10, 2012.

1. I just came across this video, published yesterday, which suggests that Ural Australia is looking to import the solo model. I can't find anything on their website. Given that the basic outfit is about $16k onroad it'll be interesting to see what price they'd do for the solo, especially as my guess is that the quality is not on par with the sorts of bikes you can get for $11-12K (Bonneville, W800), and at best is equivalent in quality, I'm guessing, to the new UCE Royal Enfields? Which start at $8K. It's a bit ugly too, but that could be be sorted out - the basic canvas is wonderful. All this said, what an interesting bike! A new airhead.

2. Very interesting. Ugly mufflers, though. I wonder where they sourced the forks? They don't look soviet, and the disc seems to be on the opposite side to other photos of ural solos I've seen.

They'd surely have to price them at the same level as Enfields. They can get away with high pricing on the outfits because there simply isn't any competition. There are too many good "retro" styled bikes at the higher price levels to try and pull it off with the solo.
  3. Classic looks - Dont like that ugly rear seat. Everything else looks NTB.

SPECIFICATIONS Europe - 2009 Ural Solo:

Type Air cooled 2-cylinder 4-stroke Boxer engine
    Bore/stroke 78 mm x 78 mm
    Capacity 745 cc
    Rated output 29 kW at 5,600 rpm
    Max. torque 52 Nm at 4,000 rpm
    Carburator Twin KEIHIN L22A A
    Max. speed approx.130 km/h
    Ignition Electronic

Power transmission
    Clutch Dry double disc
    Gearbox 4 speed plus 1 reverse
    Final drive Bevel gear with drive shaft
    Starting Electric plus kickstart

Frame Double loop steel tube
    Front suspension Telescopic fork
    Rear suspension Double sided swinging arm with hydraulic
    spring shock absorbers - 2 x adjustable
    Wheels 2 cross-spoked wheels
    Rims 2.15 x 18

Tyres Road tyres
    3,50 x 18

Brakes Front: hydraulic discbrake
    Rear: mechanical drumbrake

Dry weight 215 kg
    Permitted total weight 382 kg
    Length/width/height 2530 mm / 850 mm / 1300 mm
    Seat height 810 mm
    Usable tank volume 19 l, 95 Octan
    Fuel consumption 6.5 l/100 km
  4. Good luck filtering with that bad boy
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hehe....but sometimes I just want to cruise along...Lazily! Without a care in the world and no rush to get anywhere. Stop when the traffic stops and move when it moves.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Shouldn't be any worse than a BMW and you can get those through traffic with decent pace if you try :D.

I don't know what the current Enfields are like but, based on MrsB's outfit, the Ural is a lot more bike than the Bullet and, in solo trim, should be very robust indeed.

Quality of finish is basically good although, unless they've upped their game significantly, the chromework is crap. I believe there's a lot more stainless on the current models. Quality of engineering is excellent, as long as they've fixed the problem they had with the brake shoe springs.

Got to remember that, regardless of how many Japanese carbs and alternators, Italian disc brakes or Ducati ignitions they slap on it, it's a 1940s motorcycle. That confers both advantages and limitations. However, it is no longer a badly built 1940s motorcycle :D.

If they could do them for <$12k I'd have one. And I'd be prerpared to consider it as an only or, at least, primary bike. Given that I do 25,000 km a year in commuting mode, I think that should count as a vote of confidence.
  7. Indeed. A quick google shows it to a be approx 47kg worth of scrapped t34s more.
  8. Looks pretty cool, i got to have a good look over a side car one at jerrys once. I loled when i saw brembo brakes on it, not what i was expecting. The quality of the bike seemed decent on inspection, much like any old bike just not covered in 40 years of oil and grease.

At the time i wished for a solo version that would work as a proper bike, and they seem to have delivered, perhaps one day ill go for a ride on one. The exhausts are quite interesting being high mounted like that, cant think of a reason why they wouldn't just keep them low.
  9. The stock pipe position on the combo would be quite limiting for ground clearance, especially with the smaller 18" wheels. Admittedly you've also got the fixed footpegs to get in the way but every little helps. Even the rocker covers are chamfered on their lower side to give that bit extra margin.
  10. Not sure if the back indicators are large enough.
  11. With roughly 60% more power to pull it and the low-end torque of a D9 the extra weight shouldn't present a problem.
  12. i've been reading a bit on some of the uk dealers sites, looking for bits for mine, and they report the factory at one stage this year announced solo production was finished, then apparently they relented but said production would be in very limited batches. consequently some of the uk dealers have been giving back deposits as they can't confirm delivery dates and they are taking no more orders. given what's going on over there it seems unlikely we will be getting them here.
    if you fancy one have a look at this
    it's a hard tail and supposedly one of two pre production prototypes that were not continued with.
  13. They must have been available here many years ago. I remember reading a test of one in Two Wheels by one of the older riders (Smith/Groff or another). He'd ridden it up through the mountains and back home from Omeo through Bairnsdale and back to Melbourne. It made me want one at the time. That was probably in 1980's.