Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Upshifting and right hand turns

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by pug, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Time for my first embaressing newb question.
    I've read that you shouldn't upshift when turning corners due to the chances of the back wheel skidding.
    Okay. There are times when I'm turning right when taking off from either traffic lights or a stop sign. There's a car behind me and seeing the L plate, they decide to help me by sitting right up my arse and give me sweaty palms.
    I'm riding a 250.
    Do I stay in first gear all the way through the turn? If it's a wide street I'm turning into, sometimes I find I really need to shift. Basically I want to know what I can do to get around that turn faster without revving hell out of the bike.

2. Having the back end step out a 250 cruiser is not something you have to worry about at this stage.

Get through the gears as quickly as possible; get the revs up and shift through, and by the time you are at 50 -60 kph you'll be miles in front of any possible molesters anyway..

I suggest you practice this at a deserted intersection or factory complex!

3. you're allowed to rev hell out of the bike! they are designed to run at high revs. :grin: just watch the red line.
    but if your changes are smooth going into second shouldn't be an issue.

4. No taco on my bike unfortunately.

5. if the engine gets whiney and seems to be slowing down in accelleration chances are you have gone to far. Give it a go and listen to the bike. It will tell you, when you get used to it.

6. You can change gears when leaned over a bit, just be smooth.

7. Sometimes faced with the same dillema. When attempting to make some distance with the car behind me at a set of lights. ( usually some rev-head ) :roll: I find keeping it in 1st ( max speed 60k ), is not enough. I try to shift to 2nd ASAP which allows me to hit a max speed of 90k before having to upshift to 3rd. I'm not saying I ride flat out like this, only when I need to get away quickly and make some distance.
    There is something to be said for more powerful bikes I guess.

8. Mmm. All good advice me thinks. Had a ride this morning and used a combination of things. Some corners I rode longer through first and others I changed quickly to second which gave me enough to work with. Many thanks people.

9. I have found shifting mid corner on my commute to be a non issue, basically. Can't comment on spirited riding though.

10. I don't know if it's the best way, but...

There is a sweet right hander near me, turning right from South Rd into Bluff Rd ie enter from left of image, exit to the bottom.

gx1KXfxS.

As you turn into Bluff, it's a long off camber corner so it means you get the bike really leaned over - it's magic when you get through already moving on the green arrow.

But if I catch a red light, when I am stopped at those lights and take off, I nail it in first to quickly shift into second just before you really lean over. Otherwise, you are left in first gear, at high revs and snatchy throttle and it just doesn't feel anywhere near as good.

So...one option for you is to take off quite briskly in first to get the revs up a bit, short shift into second and take the corner in second. It depends on the corner obviously.

EDIT: This is also an awesome similar corner, but it's constant radius and not off camber and the road surface is better. Turning right from Beach Road into Glen Huntly Rd. This is fun coz once you get your line, you just hold it and hold it until the corner is done. w00t! Now this I'm just turning this into a 'my favourite right handers' thread :LOL:

aV1_9NrS.

11. you have to go through the gears quick on a 250...if you're starting from a stop you can change up to second as you go around the corner...if you're moving and about to enter a corner you should change down prior.
    starting from a stop- have the clutch in, bike engaged in first gear and your left toes underneath the gear lever ready to flick it up.
    btw if you really want to get that 250 moving (maybe not starting on a corner yet though)- don't bother with the clutch upshifting...just flick the gear lever up when it revs hard...i would'nt do that all the time, but if you're at the front of the intersection (headcheck no-ones going to run a red anyway) and you want to get out and up to speed fast, clutchless upshifts well timed won't hurt your bike

12. :popcorn:

13. Where'd ya read that?

What happens when you UPSHIFT???

14. Hey Morbo28,

Impressive use of images! I know both the corners you mean and your description of the first is just exactly the way I get it too. Thanks. I usually go straight past the second, but I'll give it a try next week.

15. I'm assuming he just meant it will upset the bike in general and it's better to remain in the one gear and keep the bike settled through the corner.

Ah cool, I see you are from my suburb - I will keep an eye out for you.

Just did a sweet ride around the suburbs taking in Yarra Bend Park, North Melbourne, Bayside etc. Jeeeez it's humid out there.

16. No assumptions, I think the OP needs to logic this one out.

17. Not sure where I read it now lol. I thought it was in my owner's manual but it only refers to downshifting. It could have been in a DK Everything Motorcycling book I was reading but I no longer have it. Sounds as if I have gotten muddled.
    In my L's course we were told not to upshift on corners. Perhaps they were just saying that for the purposes of what we were doing in the course.
    I haven't had any probems upshifting, other than those times when I've released the clutch lever too quickly and the back wheel has let out a little squeal.
    So I assume by what you're saying robbsalvv, I've got it wrong?

18. A bad upshift might unsettle the bike - especially if you're hamfisted with the clutch, but why would it cause a compression lock up?

A botched downshift could cause a compression lockup as the engine tries to spin up to a higher rev in an instant.

The ideal is not to change gears in a corner but going up (especially if you've just taken off from a stop) is ok if you're smooth with the clutch.

By the way, it's never OK to get a chirp from the rear after a change. Work on your technique.

Welcome to riding. :)