Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Uphill or Downhill???

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by rc36, Jul 14, 2005.

1. After watching that insane footage from the Spur the other day, I was wondering, which type of riding do you prefer, riding uphill or riding downhill?

I prefer uphill; I feel I have more control (yes, I know, it's all relative). Downhill it seems that the bike is trying to get away from you all the time.

Any ideas?

2. Love up hill , but also look forward to down hill runs just as much . I use the down hill to hone my skills (what i call a level of skill anyway :LOL: ) Theres a lot more effort generated , mentally and physically on a down hill run .
  3. gravity is cool :D . It is the only time my little yamaha can trully accelerate. AND yes I also feel safer going up.
  4. My friends call me strange, but i love riding downhill :D
    Dont know why i prefer it, but i just do, and any sort of riding for that matter.
  5. I do prefer uphill since it's a lot easier to wash off speed before a corner and on a 250 you have the added fun and complexity of having to constantly change gears to keep the thing moving.
  6. lol I like it up the black spur and down the reefton...

only once did I ever do it the other way... lol it was on a netrider ride...

also I must add CT110 are built for taking the Reefton dowhill...
  7. For me, uphill has it slightly over downhill. Engine braking probably reduces the stress of downhill.
  8. downhill on a 250 with decent brakes is always heaps of fun, uphill on any bigger bike, as the power is more fun to use without having to break too hard.
  9. I think I have posted this story before, but back in the late 60's, early 70's the standard test for bravery for riders in the Melbourne area was to see who had the courage to ride down Arthur's Seat without braking. And it was a young and very brave Andrew Johnson who proved to be the bravest of his group, riding the whole way down on his little Honda 125 road bike without braking at all.
  10. After last nights conversation I'm leaving that well alone! :LOL: :LOL:
  11. in 1st gear? :LOL:
  12. No, sorry, I should have said that.

No, the challenge was to ride down in NEUTRAL!
  13. oh... it says in my owners manual not to do that :LOL:
  14. I doubt AJ has ever READ an owners manual, let alone taken any notice of the advice written in them.

One of the most radical and amazing riders ever to strap on a helmet.

15. Thats funny, someone told me you liked it both ways!

:D :p :LOL:
    (unless that joke has been done already...)
  16. Prefer going up, don't mind a slight downhill gradient but when it gets steep it all gets a bit too much like hard work.
  17. My thoughts entirely!
  18. I'm happy to be corrected on this one, but I would imagine that the extreme "sports" riding position of many bikes would place a great deal of strain on wrists and arms while riding down steep roads.