Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Upgrading to a supersport bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by DGA16, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Hi ya all,

Just upgraded to a full licence so today I began my quest for a bigger bike. Been doing loads of looking online and i've narrowed down my list to the below;

1: What sort of bike are you after?

a. BMW S1000rr
    b. Honda CBR 600 or 1000
    c. Triumph Daytona 675r

2: What will you be doing with the bike? Weekend only and really thinking of track days. Pillion would be a possibility maybe 2% of riding.

3: How much do you want to spend? I'd like to spend less than 20k, but I really like the features of the S1000rr, and it could be a good selling point to my wife.

4: Do you have any limitations/preferences that will affect bike choice? I'm 85kg, 1.8m tall, i've never ridden super sport, so tomorrow when I test ride an S1000 will either break me or convince me!!

On aother note, can anyone tell me what the difference in servicing say a BMW Vs Honda machines?

Thank you
  2. If the S1000RR is an option, there is no other option.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Deadsy is 100% correct.
  4. I feel the same way. Tomorrow will tell for me. The other thing is can the dealers move much on price or an I better off asking if they can throw in some goodies?
  5. go the bmw, but do a few levels of CSS asap
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Go the 675 Daytona, Ohlins kit, quickshifter, Brembo's and one of the motorcycling worlds best engines = tonnes of fun!

Unless you moonlight in WSBK or MotoGP an S1000 will only have an advantage on the straights

for the record I own a 2010 CBR1000rr, I only bought it because I wanted a 675R and Triumph oz couldn't tell me when they were due..while the 675 doesn't have the outright power of my bike it's as good or better in other areas.
  7. The Daytona gets pretty much universally reviewed as a bike that is high on performance and is usable in the real world roads we have to ride on (mind you, so does the CBR1000RR).
  8. if most of your riding is being done on roads you're better off with the 675( I've just got one to accompany my Ninja 1000 :)). The torque spread is fantastic and with its light weight it is going to be hard to beat on the twisties. I know I'd love to take it down to Phillip Island. Cant wait for the day. You could get a brand new 675R for under 18G. The Ninja 1000 again is awesome for the torque and can be an absolute blaster(i.e. license loser). The original write ups say that they would beat a lot of bikes on the track(for an experienced track rider)/ You're best off getting a ride before you toss your cash. Cheers.
    ps: if track riding is the main activity - the S1000RR it is.
  9. just got a full license?

bang for your buck, you won't be able to ride it NEAR it's limit anyway, dont't get a 200hp bike when you're just off your L's.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. #10 dima, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    Sorry mate, I don't know how well you ride and your experience, but most people I talked to seem to agree that jumping from a LAMS to a litre bike isn't a good idea.

I would go for a smaller capacity bike (~600cc) and do more training to bring the skills up.
    No way you'll be able to ride close to the capabilities of the supersport at this stage.

Most experienced riders on the forum (such as raven) are still learning the S1000RR and still can't get 100% out of it (correct me if I'm wrong).

I think your best bet at this stage would be CBR 600RR because it is one of the friendliest bikes.
    Or if you plan to go to track more often and be more adventurous, then perhaps go with 675 (which is just an amazing bike).

S1000R is a no question best bike out of these. But are you ready for it?
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I'm curious, I'll be off restrictions in around 11 months.
    OP mentioned that he likes the features of the S1000R. Do they have anything else worthy of mention going for them other than the sheer power and supreme handling? Surely he doesn't have to try and ride it at it's limit straight off the bat. Are these bikes only worth the coin if they are ridden flat out and as aggressive as is possible?
  12. they have a bunch of electronics that looks nice from a newbie perspective.... but they're still a serious bit of kit for the unfamiliar.

the ZX6R.. or 636 or Ninja 600 or whatever the kwuk they're calling it this week has a similar package but is a mid weight bike.... if you WANT the electrics then it is probably well worth a look.

the CBR can be had with ABS.

middle weight bikes don't need all the fancy shit to keep their power in check cause they don't accidentally deliver it.
  13. BMW S1000RR: Sent shivers up and down my spine, just completed the test ride, and WOW, OMFG WOW. So the good news is, felt good on it, tons of potential to learn and progress through once I get more confidence.

Very impressive handling, power on tap high in rev range, was an older model, but on to the next test ride as I'm sure all the bikes in my list will deliver the above, just trying them on for size and comfort, but WOW that was impressive.

Didn't take me much to adjust to the new position, in fact when I rode my 650 away I felt the position weird. Test ride was 45 minutes.

Thanks all for you suggestions thus far. Appreciated.

For those commenting on the performance v's experience, understand now, but thinking this will be a long term purchase that i'll grow into with experience. But food for thought and hoping to test a Daytona 675 today also.
  14. When I was in the market for a new 1000cc bike I test rode the BMW and Fireblade (among others). The BMW was very nice and I probably would have bought it if it wasn't $10,000 more than the Fireblade, but for me it wasn't worth that much extra. If I was the greatest rider in the world who was capable of wringing every last ounce of performance out of a superbike then the BMW would be the only choice, but in the real world it makes no difference to me and I have an extra $10k in my pocket. If you have the cash to spare then it is the best of the best and you should go for it, but for someone with your experience you will not notice the difference between the BMW and any of the big 4 jap superbikes.

I don't know what the servicing costs are like with the BMW but if it is anything like their cars then prepare to get reamed.
  15. I always suggest that people test ride everything they can and buy the one they like the most. My guess is that you'll be buying the S1000rr
  16. Interest to hear how your Daytona test goes - and to add a bit of a twist - the 2013 Daytona will be in shops in a couple of weeks!
  17. I agree with Dnagir. Going from Lams to a Thou is a pretty serious call!
    My CBR600 has been great. Good to commute, good for a friendly blat and good for the track. The Thou is just a weapon, not to be mistreated, bites you on the ass real quick.

My mate has the daytona, also a great bike. I'd choose between the 6's, have fun, learn, sensible insurance, and trade up later.
  18. What if he rides the 600's/675's and doesn't like them as much as the S1000RR, should he still get a 600?
  19. Ohh, yeah. That's another good point. Hope the OP has already shopped around for the insurance.
    Otherwise he can easily change his mind :)

I think he shouldn't be he would :)
  20. If you had $30K it might be $24K on the SS then have some money left over for track days and tyres.

Since your budget is $20K, a $16K supersport with $4K left over for TD and tyres is smarter IMO.