Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Upgrading to a 600 - advise

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Garbled, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Hi All,

I have been riding a ZZR250 for about two years and am going to convert to a full license today! That said I am going to test ride a few 600's this weekend.

I am a bit nervous about riding a bigger bike (for the first time) and was wondering if anyone had any tips? I am reasonably comptent rider however was wondering if there anything specific that I should look out for (compared to my ZZR).

Btw I am drooling at the 2008 CBR600RR and the Triumph Daytona 675 atm.

2. My first piece of advice is be willing to abuse the clutch for the first little while.
    Let it out slowly, and get the weight onto the engine progressively.
    Getting used to the take off is the first thing that I found caught me out. (Especially on the CBR) I haven’t had the pleasure of riding the 675, but looking at the torque curve on it (Which is $exy) you will have to follow the same advise, though you won’t have to spin it up the same way.
    The next thing you will find has absolutely nothing to do with the bigger engine.
    Moving from a ZZR to a CBR or 675 the geometry is completely different and the COG Is way higher. So it tips in very differently, be patient and work with it a little until you get used to the feel before you throw it at a corner.
    If you get into heavy traffic give yourself some space until you are confident with that whole clutch thing, because once again it can catch you out.
    Other than that. Play and smile and don’t get caught at licence burning speeds by the po po…
    Oh one other piece of advice, when you get back on the 250 go through all of this again, because it will be all different and take some getting used to again (even after just half an hour on the 600)
  3. +1 To FL

He's the most qualified to give advice on the topic. Getting him to let go of the 250s was like getting a mum to let go of her kid so they could go to their first day of school. :LOL: Wasn't going to happen till HE decided to do it! You've gotta admire the resolve. :LOL:

As far as advice I can give, don't stress out. Don't be overconfident. Having too little confidence results in mistakes and too much does too. Just have a go, a good time and focus on the task at hand.

and remember ATGATT, there's no point paying the excess off a bike you don't own and having to worry about skin grafts. It's very easy for people to test ride and not wear their usual gear, i'd suggest not taking the easy road.
  4. Ok thanks! Will definitely be taking it easy and wearing all my gear. I am so comfortable atm with my ZZR and having to rev it so hard to take off, will definitely have to watch for that.
  5. Throttle. Control.

You'll have about 43 bajillion times more power available at any point in time. Make sure you use the throttle as an analogue not digital device.
  6. Apart from those helpful advices given by others, just relax. Most of people (I used to think the same) think these super bikes are just monsters waiting to bite (that's true in some ways as they get to the wrap speed so quick and wrong rider input will lead to a disaster :p )
    But generally these bikes have the best available design, technology and a suspension second to none. So they handle much much better and stop much faster (be careful what you ask from front brake).
    IMHO, most of I4 replica bikes are kinda of user friendly at the lower rev range, but prepare for the surge of sheer power if you're playing at the higher rev range of the engine.
    Enjoy it! :p
  7. A few people have touched on the throttle-control bit, and how the bikes are (relatively) tame at low revs.

My 1050cc Tiger might make 125rwhp at redline, but it "only" makes ~40 horsepower if kept around 3000rpm, for example.

So until I got used to the handling of the new bike, I kept the revs low (below 5000rpm). Be smoooooth with the throttle. Progressive.
  8. just get a grip
    it'll blow your mind
  9. As already said, keep the gears highish and the revvs low and you'll be sweet. Enjoy!
  10. Ok just came back from the RTA and have my full licence and have booked a time for test rides tomorrow!

Will try and take it nice and easy thanks for th advice. Also, the dealer has mentioned that he will come out on the ride in front, so hopefully that might make things a little easier.
  11. I have just two days ago gone from a gpx250 to a gsx750f. I found the willingness to rev quite amazing. However, it also means the throttle is incredibly sensitive - at standstill with the clutch in, the tiniest throttle movement send the revs skyrocketing. On the gippy (same engine as your zzr) you use a lot of throttle. NOT on the bigger four cylinder!

Take it easy, use plenty of clutch slip at first, and don't even think you're going to be able to rev-match on gear changes for a while!

Oh but it's fun! :shock: :eek: :) :grin: :LOL: :twisted:
  12. Just take it easy and you'll be right. I was pretty surprised the first time I took a 600rr out for a test ride after not riding for a couple of years and it was pretty tame and not such a monster i expected. Just told the salesguy that I hadn't ridden in a while and was gonna take it easy so he wouldn't just take off and I would feel the need to keep up.
  13. Get the 675

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
  14. Extremely good and well educated reply FL !
    +1 on throttle/clutch control.
    A larger bike is only as powerful as you allow it to be.
  15. The bigger bikes are vastly more capable, and thus easier to ride, as long as you follow FL and other replies.
    They ARE'NT going to bit you, unless you do something idiotic. So don't.
  16. What Browny said, although my bike has spent most of the last month at the shop with an electrical gremlin hidden in it somewhere. I suspect voltage regulator, we'll see.
  17. fcuk i hate electrical problems! :evil:

Good luck with it man, hope they don't drain you too much trying to find the problem...

If worse comes to worst, i'd suggest downloading the wiring diagram for your bike and hunting the b@stard yourself... It's what i've decided to do.
  18. John, this will be my mantra when I'm testing bikes later this week :LOL:
  19. how did you go ?
  20. I just graded from a ZZR250 to a new Daytona and found it an easy transition.
    The power delivery is so linear and smooth that it is very easy to get used to.

My first ride on it was with brand new tyres in the wet. Took it easy, but had no scares.
    The riding position takes more getting used to than the power.