Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Upgrading skills from scoot to bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by NofC, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Ok, the more time I'm spending on this forum the more I'm contemplating a new ride. Go figure.

My current skillset has been learned on a Vespa GT200. The bikes I'm toying around with are both Trumpys, the Tiger and the Street Triple. I understand that both are very different breeds, and would consequently have different skills required, but I'm wondering if my best bet would be to look at those two options as being the upgrade after next and get something a bit easier to handle initially.

I did a lot of cycling in my younger years, and I'm fairly confident with my roadcraft and cornering on the Vespa, but I do wonder how much of a learning curve I can expect with the extra torque from both bikes, and the intricacies of gear changes.

One of my options is doing a couple of advanced courses at HART on a 250 - would that be likely to be enough to start me off on the learning curve without representing too much of a danger to myself and others? Or do I just bite the bullet and try not to bite the dust?

Thanks in advance.

:moped: :biker:

2. Inline-4 supersport is a good starter bike. Try the Suzuki Hayabusa, Yamaha YZF-R1, Honda CBR1000RR or Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Heh, think thou+ sports bikes might be a bit beyond where I'm at somehow, but thanks anyway.

It's a serious question btw. I know I've still got plenty more to learn, I'd just prefer to stretch without exceeding my grasp.
  4. I did a HART practice session, which you can do in Melb. Rode round changing gears for 1 1/2 hours and that was it. So I'd suggest a course of some sort.
  5. The only way you learn is by doing, so get on one and ride. Gotta start somewhere.

I moved from a 50cc scoot, to a 250cc scoot, to a 500cc bike to 1050 that I currently have. The learning curve is not that hard and a few hours on each step up gets the feel for the bike.
  6. I asked our local motorcycle training group (when I had this same perdicament, but a 100cc Bolwel) and the cheapest/best way was to do the p's course, but not the actual test on the second day.

They had no problem with that.
  7. Does your license say you are restriced to Scooter only ? If so then go to HART and get in a bike thru them, at least you'll have 'trained' people in a controlled environment to guide you, you'd piss it in. Dont think a rental mob with rent a bike to you [if your license shows scooter only] but rental might be an option!!
  8. I stepped up from a GT200 too a few years ago too. What I did first though was get some private tuition on a manual bike so I could actually test ride some of the bikes confidently and I think this is the best bet.

private tuition is actually not that expensive and IMO was better than having to wait for a course and its one on one. 2hrs is really all you should need to get use to the gears and the slightly different seating arrangement on the bike, rear brake pedal and clutch.

If you are near bikescape in parramatta road they should be able to give you the details of the instructor (and will arrange for the hire of the bike) - his name was Mick mccloughlan from memory I should have his card at home somewhere so send me a pm if you like.
  9. This brings to mind memories...
    Back in Spain and up until only 10 years ago or so all the motorcycle riding tests were done on Vespas (125s and 200), the original ones with the gear changer on the left handlebar.
    There were a lot of complaints form motorcycling groups and media about people getting their full licenses on one of these machines and jumping straight into a litre sportsbikes and killing themselves.
    It has thankfully changed now but, as with everything, it's better to do things progressively and thinking rationally.
    In my opinion, a Street Triple would probably be about as big and powerful as you want to get coming form a 200 and with no other experience (ie: track or dirt experience).
  10. Depends how your manual skills are, if they are still up to scratch then jump on low power 600s like er6n, xj6n or a 250 for a test ride. See how comfortable you are on them first and then jump on the more power bikes like supersports or street triples.

If you manual skills arent up to scratch then do a riding course first at hart on their bikes first. Once u have the gear changes sorted its all about throttle control.
  11. I know a person who bought a S1000RR after riding a scoot for two years. Both me and the sales person advised him against doing that but it was the bike he wanted. He has been riding the RR for the past few months and hasn't killed himself yet. But saying that, he had a hard time getting used to the new bike initially.

Everyone is different, a bike that could be a reasonable upgrade for you, might be too much for another person. Get something that you feel comfortable riding it.
  12. I'd personally recommend getting on a smaller bike for an hour or two just to get used to it. Hourly training isn't expensive, it'll probably cost you $100/hour which is way less than the cost of dropping and damaging your brand new bike.
  13. Yes I read what you say. Please so you can go to do P course for manual.

Because RTA tell to me that it is not allowed if you have license for automatic. He say that you can only do test for manual not course again for manual.

I feel this is funny I dont know.
  14. Thanks for all the feedback, some really useful info in there. Think a couple of hours private training is the go, sounds like the most rewarding learning curve for the least outlay.

I'm on my full licence now, even though I was restricted to auto on Ps. I haven't ridden a dirt bike since I was 16 (25 years ago... holy crap...), but from the sounds of it all, it doesn't sound like the gearing is as much of an issue as throttle control. Should be fun :D

@thatfella - I'd ignore the RTA and just contact a training place directly.

Once again, thanks for all the responses.
  15. Do HART, and THEN decide.
  16. In this situation I had a manual license, just very little experience with gears, etc. There is no way to skip getting a manual license.
  17. Perhaps I've missed something in previous posts or maybe things have changed - but I got my full licence (manual) because I was over 30 with a gold licence. Did my L's and P's training on a scooter but passing my P's effectively gave me my full licence, no need to display P plates and could ride whatever size bike I wanted manual or auto. The only restriction was that I could not take a pillion for the first 12 months on my full licence
  18. Yes I think this was for some years before. Now is different if bigger than 30 yes you must be with P for 1 year and can get full license after 1 year.

They tell me yes with full license you can buy any bike because is legal. But when you have automatic P you must only be on automatic bike.