Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Upgrading on LAMS

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by BrassoMan, Mar 9, 2011.

1. [NSW] Upgrading on LAMS

G'day
    I have a CBF250 that gets thrashed by me every day but I'm bored of it. Problem is, I've only had my red P's for a few months now and because I'm a young fellow I have to go through the green P's. This means I'm restricted for another few years which somewhat annoys me because after I looked into it, there really isn't all too much to choose from that's LAMS approved.
    I get excited when I look at Suzuki's SV650S and the DR-Z400SM but other than that, I don't know what will satisfy me for another few years if the CBF only lasted half a year.

I understand that every other bike available is an upgrade from the CBF...
    That thing is slow. Even WOT in redline.

Has anyone here gone through the green P's and upgraded?

2. mate you're in NSW.

have a look at a husaberg fs650 if you want a drz style bike with proper hp. if having a ride of one of those doesnt excite you, well, then.....

3. Wow, just took a look at the reviews haha.
    I'm guessing for it to be legal as LAMS it needs to be restricted, with that crazy power to weight ratio?

4. well, i dont think they were restricted from new, its just one of those bikes that falls through the cracks.

they go quick, will pull over 200 as a standard bike.

5. Hyosung 650 on the cheap side of things, I haven't looked on the NSW lams list, but I assume they're on there.

I'd get a copy of the lams list & google them until you find one you like. Pretty much any bike on the list will have more go than the Carn'tBeF*cked250.

6. bergs wont just go 200 km/h , its how they get there.
    those things will pull to 200 with the front wheel lofted most of the way if your that way inclined. Im in the same boat as you mate, but Im cruising on a Drz400e, the big bore singles are truly the way to go for most fun under <100km/h

7. Only having a small number of horsepowers does make things a bit boring in a straight line. I think I made it about 3 months before my lil' VTR250's acceleration became well and truly dull to me.

(Having to commute 75km each way to Geelong and back didn't help)

... and then a few months later, something changed - I discovered just how easily 250s can keep up with much, much bigger and more powerful bikes on sufficiently twisty roads. :D There's still a lot of fun to be had on learner-legal bikes, riding the wheels off of 'em in the corners and humiliating 600cc and 1000cc sportsbikes on supersquiggly ribbons of road where they don't have a chance to put their power down and carry too much weight to match a 250's agility.

8. I did consider that but I hear they're not so great due to cheap-ie-ness.
    On your other note, I did some research and the CBR125 is about as quick as the CBF. Really shows how slow the thing really is.

Haha, that's what I hear from the reviews. Are you tired of your DRZ? I'm leaning alot towards the 'tarded DRZ but hey, maybe I'll get tired of that too?

Yeah, the VTR doesn't have much more than the CBF. It's rare that I can legitimately beat the big bikes but on the real twisties I can follow them for quite some time.

I tried out a Dakar 650 and a KLX250 this arvo (mates bikes) and they're sh*t tonne of fun. They're so high up compared to the CBF you don't realise how fast you're going and when I thought i was doing 50 on the dakar I was close to 100...

9. The cb400 is a well respected LAM's bike, plenty of zip..

10. a tarded drz is a nice choice though, even if they feel a bit slow to accelerate compared to say the berg or an sxv, they are still quite quick through the turns. i couldnt make any time on a few DRZ's at a track day down the straights when i was on my WR450F, but i held more speed outta the corners. it was probably more a rider skill thing than anything. i would feel comfortable enough to slide a DRZ around like a mofo on the street.

in fact, i'm probably going to buy one soon. just for a street hack. that i can crash, trash and generally be a bad ass on.

the thing that most people dont get about motards is the fun factor. and how you can just ride them THAT agressively. like just rip on the bars and slide around.

this is my tard, and just a normal road ride. its that much easier to ride hard than my sportsbike.

11. Hell' yeah. Your current tard seems pretty damn fine though. I tried the KLX today and I absolutely loved the sound of it with the aftermarket on. Not to mention the way it wheelies so nicely without having to drop the clutch at redline or carry a pillion like i do on the CBF.
    I'll probably settle with the DRZ due to there being a very small number of Husa's and that you have to change the oil every time you look at it.

12. Drz's are absolutely bulletproof. Mines done 25,000 kms of mixed dirt and road riding. And valves have not moved. Literally all I have done is changed oil/filter every 1000~1500 kms and clean air filter. But as Jimmy said most <600cc bikes get boring on straight roads. But dirt bikes/motards can do wheelies / stoppies with ease. Can jump up and down stair cases, ride median strips, refugee islands, jump the kerb onto the sidewalk,cut nuts in secluded parks when it rains, I could go on but you see what im getting at. Also if you get a spare weekend, try your hand at a bit of trail riding - why not? best fun on two wheels really. And the best thing - when you drop your bike (not if) doing these crazy stunts, you simply pick your bike up dust yourself off and keep going. None of this broken plastic stuff, maybe a broken lever or scratched frame but no biggy.
    Seriously I've had some horrendous offs on my Drz that would hospitalise a sports bike, but the wheels keep turning on the Drz. If you get bored from riding a Drz then you arn't riding it hard enough to be honest.

Edit: Grammer is appalling, been studying all day :(

13. I rode one of those for a while, and it was good. Mind you, it was a pain in the ass at highway speeds because it didn't quite ave the revviness of the smaller bikes and didn't have the torque of larger bikes. Solution?

Honda XR600R. I bought one roughly 6 months ago now and can't get enough of it. Its not very stock but it sure does go like hell - under my rein its seen a Unifilter performance cage and element put in the airbox, a new ignition unit with advanced timing and an extended duration camshaft. All that cost about $250 and in my opinion is a MUST DO for the bike. It wasn't a slouch stock and now its got even more power... everywhere.

Its physically about the same same as a DRZ400 but a tad heavier - mine weighs in at 150kg fully loaded with a 23L tank and some offroad goodies like rack and frame guards. Around town its a total hoot and on the open road it'll easily cruise at freeway speeds, although the most fun is twisty backroads where you can play in 4th and 5th gear at 80kmh~150km/h til the cows come home. Fuel economy is good, too, with my not-exactly-conservative throttle hand delivering around 5L/100km, which is 370km to reserve on the big tank! Spare parts are plentiful and very cheap - brake pads $45 the lot, clutch cable $28, oil filter $7 (bought in a 3 pack).

Only thing the more modern bikes have over it is service intervals and suspension. The suspension on mine is fine but is lacking compared to modern mounts... especially the competition bred 450's. Service intervals are 2000km or thereabouts for both oil and valves, probably 3000km is fine if you don't flog it all the time. Combined, I do them in my driveway in half an hour so it doesn't really bother me. If you're not mechanically inclined then get something else, but this really is a simple bike to work on and a great one to ride.

Hope that helps - boingk

14. What more could I want in a bike? ;D
    I've torn my clutch up from all the crap I've given my CBF. I tried to learn how to do a donut on gravel a couple of weeks ago and only stopped when I got a flat tyre...

My mate on his KLX slid his back wheel on a corner and dropped the bike the day I helped him drill the licence plate onto it. He still had knobbies on which was why he slid but he held the clutch in, jumped back on and blasted off. Didn't even stall the engine hehe.

15. Good idea. I can pick up an XR a hell of alot cheaper than a DRZ, too. I need the bike to be reliable as I use it to get to commute aswell as tear shit up when I get the time. I don't mind changing oil frequently but if I mess something up I don't want to risk the whole engine blowing up haha. It's going to be atleast another couple of months so I'll keep it in mind.
    Cheers.

16. Yep if your going to ride 99% road, go the Xr600 simply because it has a bigger capacity although i'd hazard a guess and say the drz's suspension is better. Weigh pretty much the same 10kg's difference probably and both exhibit excellent reliability with copious spare parts available. If you buy the Xr600 think of all the go fast bits you can book up and still have change compared to a new-ish Drz400.

17. you're gonna have to spend some coin on the xr to get it near a drz sm through the corners though.

i'd allow $1.5k to do it properly.

18. I'm still leaning towards the DRZ but my dad suggested I take a look at some husqvarna's. They're pretty pricey and I'll probably break everything and be left without cash.
    Went for another good ride this morning on a KLX. Addicted to the soft suspension...