Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Upgrading...getting use to weight

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by warnzie, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Currently have a dr650 motard, but am purchasing my bro's VFR800. Now, naturally, first ride was weird at first, coming from a motard where there is no fairing, i can see the wheel, and gaw blimy weighs absolutely nothing its taking me a while to get use to the VFR, not to mention a new bike geometry and feel as compared to the dr - i know it will take time to adjust and as with any bike get use to, just as it would be for a VFR rider to ride my DR, would anyone like to share their experiences and tips for a situation like this...and don't even mention the word u-turn yet:beer:

2. Carpark practice time..... you need to get used to those U turns and using more counter-lean then youre probably used to.

I dont think weight is bad though, it helps to soak up bumps on the road and make the suspension take more of the force.
  3. Exactly, thats all you need. Time.

Get out there and make the most of it, work your way up the experience higherarchy until you end up at the most challenging of situations. You'll be fine. There are a lot heavier bikes around than the VFR, you just need to build up a new skillset. The best way of doing this is by riding.

Cheers - boingk
  4. I went from a 250 to an 1100. I found it pretty daunting at first because I am short and fairly light weight and kept the first few rides nice and easy out on country roads. NOw I dont even notice the extra weight (except tight u-turns on gravel)
  5. Yes, just a matter of getting used to it. VFRs are easy to ride. Maybe take a close look at the tyres? What year is it?
  6. You don't just have to get used to a new bike! You have to get used to it throughout ALL the riding situations you commonly ride.

THEN!...you have to explore it's limitations, quirks, power..etc, etc.
    Ie : how does it handle in corners..does the rear-end jossle about, the front wanna skip on bumps.

You have to know what your bike is going to do, and it how will behave, under all riding conditions.

Then train yourself to ride it accordingly.

7. So many falls are at slow speeds. Sad really.
    Whether by intention or just plain luck all bikes have a slow speed verticle stabaliser in them.
    Under thirty clicks it's your crank. You can increase or decrease this by the use of your throttle against the back brake. We call it the gyroscopic effect.
    One of the first practicle things they teach you in Qride is the slow crawl. Same thing when they teach you tight u turns and then finaly fig 8's. There's a good reason for this. Nothing worse than the class having to wait while a new clutch/front brake lever is fitted to noddy's bike. or worse the amount they will charge you if you do brake one. Or worse ding a tank so forth.
    If you master this slow speed shoite then the weight of a bike should never really be a factor till it's stopped or broken lol
    It will feel stiff and ungainly for a while until you gain confidence in yourself and the machine.
    Just get out there and practise. And make sure you have fun doing it. That way you will keep doing it.
    And for god sake don't forget emergency braking. 240+kg is a whole different kettle of fish to bring to a halt then a 140 kg dirt bike.
    Happy days
  8. quick way is to do a training course on it or another big bike. I did a day on a 600 before I upgraded from a 250 to a 600 and it made the transition fairly easy.
  9. Weight your pegs. Instantly gives you lower CoG and will let you steer alot faster.