Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Upgrading from Ninja 250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by RavenR3, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Hello forum,

I have learned nearly everything from this forum over my first year riding. Thank you!

Until now all my questions have been answered by just browsing threads, this is my first post as i would love some advice.

I am feeling a little rushed to make a decision on a new purchase due to my old bike dieing.

I have been on a ninja 250 (09) for just over a year. The last week it started loosing compression, then sounding rough above engine) oil was fine, ive regularly maintained all i new of. I limped it over to the dealer, it died on the way once (sounding bad) manged to restart and got it there, they had one listen and dived for the ignition switch and gave me the news .. Its f..k.d

It was, i really didnt need a 2nd opinion.
    I loved this bike, i really did, my first and until now never missed a beat. Sad

I am now in this situation.

My bike - trade in value -$250 (i know, i could strip and salvage but i dont have much time, or trailer even to move it) it may be easiest to throw this away for $250 (it pains me to keep it)

I was looking to upgrade to a 600 ninja or yam

I have not saved enough yet and was not prepared to purchase now.

I have $5500, i do not want to add finance as an option, i just need to be back on the road. I work nights as a nurse and have 5 kids who need the car.

They have offered - used R3 (1700klm) on clock for 6k (i may lean this way, 20month dealer warranty attached) i need reliability this time so even 20months warranty helps, this bike has also had initial services, reg etc 6k drive away.

I know i could look at ninja 300, i have a slight kawasaki bad taste after my bike died, even the guys at the shop cant understand why my engine failed (i paid 2k a year ago off gumtree)

I was wanting to step up just a little to the 600's i could look second hand but may also end up buying a lemon.

I really only commute short distances but is my primary transport riding every day, and i was still enjoying my little 250, was fun.

I am thinking i may be pressed to buy the R3, i will still be happy its a great upgrade on features and looks great, has anyone stepped from a ninja 250 to R3?

Anyone been in similar predicament?

Any advice?
    Thank you

2. If you need a friendly commuter bike, you can have a little fun on as well, why not check out the Honda 500 range.
    You could possibly get a used one on your budget, or a Ninja 300 new for a little more.

Otherwise Suzuki GSR600 may be an option, or there's a boatload of GS500, naked or fully faired from $3.5K upwards.
    Air-cooled and not EFI, but a bikes none-the-less.

3. Buy a used gs500, if you're only commuting it's perfect. I paid $3k for mine.

4. Bummer mate. The R3 with warranty sounds good, any warranty obviously offers piece of mind. If you're interested in a ninja 300 though, and you're in Melbourne, I have one for sale in the "bikes for sale" thread at present.

5. Maybe I'm cynical but I got a mental image of the dealer rubbing his hands together with a big smile on his face while offering you the R3.

As others have mentioned, you can get a very solid used bike in the 500-600cc range that will be both great for commuting and having a little bit of fun. I think by getting the R3, you end up with a newer bike with nice features, but essentially the same bike. How about buy something a bit below the top of your budget and hold the change in a safe place should it have any problems. Like any used vehicle, make sure you have it thoroughly checked out prior to buying and you will hopefully avoid any major concerns.

6. Do u need a lams bike? Where are u from ?

7. Call your mechanic and ask for a quote to install a second hand running engine in your Ninja.
    You could probably get it back on the road for around $1k if you source the engine yourself from wreckers. Also some wreckers install engines they sell as well.
    But if your bike had other wear and tear issues then it might be better to trade up.

8. Shame about your bike mate.

Do you want a fully faired bike, or would a naked suit your needs?

9. Thank you all so much! I was waiting for notifications that someone had replied and i had none.. Assumed no one cared :) just logged in and saw all the helpful info, thanks guys/gals

I woke up determined this morning, i hate problems, i didnt want to stress on this and just needed it sorted.
    After reading all night, i had decided on the R3, i really was happy with all reviews and information surrounding it, i wasnt entirely sure i REALLY needed a new bike, but ABS, warranty, little bigger and looked nice for a decent price, ill look after/resell i just needed peace of mind, ive had a bad run with 2nd hands.

I thought the sales team was giving me a crap deal, and i agree as stated above, I SAW THEM RUBBING THEIR HANDS. I spent a long time in sales selling Yamaha guitars, i know they at least have good margin. I called another dealer, told them a rough story, said im paying cash today, i know its end of month, you need figure etc etc.. Got them to 6700 over the phone. Called back original dealer, told them about how ive been loyaly shopping their for a year, this situation happens and they offer a used R3 for $6000, I then told them i had cold call one shop this morning and get a Price of $6500 cash for a new one over the phone (little lie). He told me he'd get back to me.

Store manager called back, offered $300 trade on old bike and would match 6500.
    So i walked out paying $6200 on road.

I have just had first ride from dealer, i am a happy camper. I have never purchased any vehicle new, i kinda wanted that special new bike smell just once.
    I do really think for $6200 with 2 year warranty is not bad, it is a fun toy, and quick ride totally different ride (good way) than the ninja.

I will not red line it for first $1000 ks,
    Im watching the brakes and tyres as they wear in.
    Anything else to watch on a new bike.

Oh its fun :) kid @ xmas here :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Well done!

Watch out for speed smears too!

11. Nicely negotiated.

12. Speed smears?!? I probably should have proof read that first. It should read speed cameras. Stupid autocorrect.

13. Haha, i wondered :) i am a newb and had never heard of a speed smear.. So i googled thinking its some amazingly worrying thing to worry about that id never heard of.

Turns out a speed smear is where things start to blur in your peripheral vision as you hit speeds...
    I was thinking, f..k! 250-320cc gonna blur things much more :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. I just looked it up in the dictionary-

Speed smears (noun): the marks left on the road following a crash by a motorcycle rider not wearing the correct protective gear (see: road crayon)

My apologies, time to get back on topic......

• Like Like x 1
  15. Read your owner's manual, that tells you how to run it in. Sadly although this might not be the best way, it is the way You need to do it. The reason is that many ECUs remember the last 15 minutes of history. This creates the drama that if you have a failure and you go for warranty, they will check that history and if it hasn't been run according to procedure they "could" deny your warranty claim.

Within the bounds of what your manual says though remember this, revs on a new engine are not your enemy, excessive load is your enemy. So more than avoiding revs, avoid large amounts of throttle. To assist with this on a little engine, it is actually better to allow it to build up some revs rather than change up too soon and load the engine up.

Whilst running in a new engine it is actually just as important to look after the gearbox as the engine. Try for smooth regular shifting, avoid slamming it through.

Engines in modern Japanese motorcycles are very well built these days so either way you are unlikely to have an issue. Enjoy the R3

• Informative Informative x 1