Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Upgrade to 600cc

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by R66, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Hi All

Iam 6ft 3in and looking to upgrade to a 600 very soon, I have yet to ride any 600's, obviously I will find out what I prefer once ridden but was after some info before testing any!

As the username suggests I am quite keen on an R6 but have been told by a few people it would be to small and quite uncomfortable as the riding position is very hunched? Is this correct?

If so are CBR's more suitable and if so what year? I am planning on spending approx $9000 on a bike!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. It's the type of bike you've chosen rather than the capacity which can be a problem when it comes to over 6'. 1000cc sports are no bigger, some are smaller than the 600's.

It depends on what sort of riding you want to do, you'll be fine on any if you stretch regularly, and stop at regular distances to get the blood flowing again.

$9k will probably land you a +/-1999-02 model, some of these don't have the extreme ride position which the most recent ones have.

The best thing to do is take them for a spin like you said. Pay close attention to the ergos, as you often can't know how the bike will feel after an hour if you only take it for a 10 minute blast.

The R6 of that era was probably the most extreme of the supersports when it came to riding position, but I reckon you'll be fine if you use your head. The GSX-R600 of that era was probably the comfiest.

Edit: The CBR600F4/i is far more comfortable than all of the supersport 600's.
  3. Why resrict yourself to a 600 go a 900 or bigger then u got more options for comfort :grin:
  4. 600's

I owned a ZX6R for a few years as my first sports bike (after an XJ750, SRV 250 and KLR 650). They are an awesome bike and have heaps of room (compared to an R6). Mine was a 95 model and I picked it up for under 5 grand. Im 6'2'' myself so I know how you feel trying to fit on a 6hunge.

The ZX's are a little heavier than the Honda or the R6 but I found the engine to be just brilliant. No reliability problems at all. Did stack it though but repairs were cheap. The subframe etc is heaps stronger than either an R6 or CBR. Let us know how you go

5. If you going for a CBR600 try to go for CBR600F4i (with the "i" :grin: )

It's the same bike Honda is selling until last year - CBR600F5i (only different is F5i with one piece seat & F4i with 2 pieces seat).

CBR600Fs are not the fastest 600s, but it's the most rider friendly one on road.
  6. Ben i know im bias but test ride a R6...they are brilliant

because of the high seat it would suit your height better......very impressed with mine in all areas

for $ 9K you can get a 05 model with low kms
  7. Get a GSXR750. Just because you can.
  8. Your only 6'3", you should't have many troubles. I'm 6'7" and i've sat on the R6 and the R1 and fit quite comfortably on both, with the R1 having more room. But still i didnt have my knees around my head.
    The new CBR600 is a a spacious machin as well, with quite a comfortable sitting position.
    Just get out there and sit on as many as you can :grin:
  9. for what its worth i own a thundercat, like an R6 but slightly different tune to the engine, higher bars etc- in essence it feels a little more roomy which is nicer on the longer rides :) .

- you'll know which bike is right when you ride it, till then its best to keep an open mind.
  10. Try them all. Find the one that suits you best. Dont limit yourself to a 600 only. Good luck. :grin:
  11. IMO, comfort on motorcycles has little to do with your body proportions. It is more a matter of what you are personally comfortable with. You could get 100 guys of the same proportions, and put them all on the same bike. Not all of them will be comfortable on a long ride.

Sure, advice is always a good thing to have, but the only way you'll know for certain is to test ride as many as possible. Even if you don't spend much time on a bike, you'll get a really good understanding on how it would suit on longer trips.

That said, you should become quite comfortable on any bike after you've had it for a few months. So, enjoy the hunt, and you'll eventually find the bike that's right for you.