Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Upgrade time thread

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by cygnus, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

I got off my P's in January, and sold my '96 GS500 last month. I'm in the market for my next bike, and would like to hear your thoughts / suggestions. I'm not entirely sure what I'm after, but something along the lines of 600cc-800cc naked / sports / sports-tourer. Some bikes that crossed my minds are Street Triple, Z750, Shiver, SV650S, SV1000S, VTR800, Sprint, Daytona.

It will be mainly used for commute to and from work, and some weekend fun. The commute to work is reasonably good in terms of traffic, and its about 15 km. ( From Rhodes to The Rocks via Victoria Road ). Haven't taken a pillion before - it would be nice, but not a necessity.

Budget is $6-8k at the moment, but maybe stretch to $10k if I wait a bit.

I'm 183cm, and 84kg. So in theory that should mean most bikes would fit okay. I'm not particularly strong, so a bike under 200kg would be preferable. Also, I've been riding for only about 6000km, so lacking a bit of experience.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Doesn't that make you a P-plater?
  3. Given your lack of experience and want for something light an ER-6 might be the best option.
  4. That's what I was thinking. In which case, you should have held onto your GS500. :)
  5. Oops. I meant I just got off my P plates. ](*,)

Obviously it shows my lack of experience. 8-[
  6. Right-o. Carry on then...