Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Upgrade, downgrade or sideways-step?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Kris, Jan 7, 2009.

1. After riding a Hornet 900 for a while, would a 2003 cbr600f feel like an upgrade, downgrade or just different? I'm after something a bit sportier for twisty shinanigans but still practical enough the commute on.

I'm trying to snag a test ride somewhere but if anyone's had an experience on both bikes or similar I'd appreciate any advice.

2. You're not comparing apples to apples here but losing 300cc will be noticeable in the tractability of the engine. IMO you'll decide if it's up, down or sideways after you ride it. For example, some people think a Tuono is too much, some not enough, and I think it's just right. It's what suits you and not what we write that is important when buying a bike.
  3. I'm more of a waltz man, myself.
  4. I own a fzr1000 and an fzr600 and if you are used to the 900
    the 600 is gonna feel a bit "frantic" you'll be changing gear all the time
    and revving the thing.

The fact is that the 600 gets twice the K's on it and is the preferance for the

Rides out of town, the 600 stays at home.

you are welcome to try my 600 if you like....pm me

5. i've had a hornet 900 and a cbr600f2 - which is very similar motor-wise to the hornet 600. the 600 is a big downgrade in torque and power. more gear changes and less lazy roll on with a 600. you want to improve your twisty performance on the 900, get decent rubber and the suspension dialed in.
  6. Kris - not actually sure that the 600f really counts as 'sportier' than the H9. Both are kind of detuned versions of the relevant RR engines, IIRC, and the fairing doesn't make much difference in the twisties. N*A*M is probably right - spend the money the changeover would have cost you on brakes and suspension on the Hornet instead and practice riding it more.
  7. Thanks all for the input. I'm heading out for some test rides to see if I'm missing out on anything. If I come back to the Hornet afterwards and love it again I might take that advice on board and just 'sporty-up' the H9!

8. It really comes down to how you like to ride. Instant torque and lazy riding vs revy engine and lots of shifting.

I had a 750 and 1000, despite the 750 being a far better bike, the 1000 made the riding incredibly easy and relaxing. Have you taken some of the 600's for a burn? I think you may be disappointed after being spoiled by your 900.
  9. Just tried a 600 (1999 cbr600f)... pffffft! Maybe I just needed to try something different to appreciate the Hornet again. After a 10,000km return trip Melb-Cairns I think I was taking the old cb900 for granted!
  10. Take a Street Triple R 675 for a test ride and then say that it's lacking in mid-range and requires shifting all the time. Might be out of the budget of the OP though.
  11. Yeah, ridden both (test rode the 900 and WANTED to buy it, and used the 600 for a training day with HART) and they are utterly different bikes.

I can't imagine anyone who is used to the smoothness and 'unfussed' nature of the 900 ever settling for the buzziness and frantic personality of the 600.

+1 to spending a bit of money to sharpen up the suspension.

If you want to improve your twistie shenanigans, spend some money getting training. Unless you are already a gun, improving yourself will make far more difference to your carving / scratching than improving your bike ever will.
  12. Excellent call. Which is why the *first* 400 bucks I have available is going on a course, and the *second* on a suspension setup. ;)
  13. Did you change your bars to the Renthal Ultra Lows? (you were going to do this) If not, I suggest you start there, it really improves the feel of the bike for twisty work.

Next thing I want to upgrade (apart from minor cosmetic mods), is most probably the suspension (as others have suggested) - Ohlin or Penske, etc.
    In the meantime I stiffened up the stock suspension a bit - I found the factory setting much too soft.
    I am on this bike almost everyday, and just getting to love it more and more. :grin:
  14. I took a Street Triple 675 for a burn and thought it was a fantastic around town bike. The mid-range people rave about wasn't happening on the demo i rode though. Lots of low down grunt then it seemed to be a bit empty mid range followed by a big whoosh in the last 2000rpm.

Because of that up and down style power delivery i found it frustrating to ride. It had Aarow pipes but no tune so perhaps that's why it felt a bit off? I wish i rode a stock one but none available.
  15. I rode my 929 back to back with the cbr600f last weekend, through 10 mile on putty. You really do miss that stomping great low and midrange and any gear pull.. BUT the smaller bike is farr more suited to commuting than my blade engin, not sure how much better the detuned 919 is for cruising around on.

Position is an upright orientated sports tourer. Likes to rev and does mambo when you get it high in the rev range.
  16. The 919 engine in the 900 Hornet is just a lovely unfussed creature. It's still an I4, so I've heard complaints about a lack of bottom end, but upon investigation these complaints are usually coming from people in the Vtwin camp, so they're not comparing apples with apples.

The simplest way I can put it is that the 900 hornet just lets you ride the way YOU want to ride. It can be the easiest commuter in the world to ride, or it's a hooligan monobike, or you can scratch (and keep up with a surprising array of competition, unless they happen to be in the 1% of riders who are actually good enough to take advantage of the keen riding position and super sharp reflexes of their supersports mounts) or if you're really keen you can get all motard on their a**, but I'm not that keen... or that good.

For me, the riding position gave me such command and such confidence that I was willing to chuck it around in a way that would have had a 'serious' sports bike throwing me into the scenery as punishment for my disrespect. And that's the advantage of a bike like the 900 Hornet. It's NOT as fast or as agile as it's competition, but it lets it's rider ACCESS it's speed and agility, which means in the real world with REAL riders, it BECOMES every bit as quick as many other 'faster' bikes.

The 600? You have to ride it IT's way. No choice. Wring it's neck or go home. Thats a real thrill for two hours... then it's tiring... and after a days training I was VERY happy to give it back get onto my (15 year old) VFR.

Going back to the OP, you seem to have decided to keep your 900. I hope you do mate. I really hope you do. :grin:
  17. Good replies all, thanks muchly! The Renthals are on their way, as are some braided brake lines; I think the urge to keep the Hornet returned as quickly as it left in the first place!

I'll go out this arvo and get stuck into some fun riding somewhere!