Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Update: Busa, Gixxer and King Z1

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by tim650, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Its been a very busy few years and absence from the forums, but my trusty gsxr1000 i posted 2.5years ago on NR still pleases me, but then again it has a few brothers keeping it company.

2011 Hayabusa and the Famous Early '73 Z1 900.

The GSXR has seen multiple build phases, marchesini's, top of the line tyres and all out a beast to ride, and now returned to more standard and running twin Leo Vince pipes.

The Bus wears all the good stuff, and lots of money later, im happy with how it looks, and rides.. And it is ridden like this.

The Zed, what a slow piece of sh*t, was ONCE the worlds fastest production bike...........40 Years ago.. =D> It goes ok, not learner legal but a tuned cbr250 might catch it.

The GixThou when it was at its peak.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. #2 jag131990, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Wow nice bikes mate

3. Cheers.
  4. Awesome collection. (y)
  5. Stretched busa? You've been watching too many American bike mod shows lol ;-)
    Nah, cool collection, did you go a 240 on the back of the busa, or even bigger?? .....love the white gixxer best!
  6. Love it or hate it when it comes to stretched custom bike, as long as its two wheels :) The gixxer is the sort of bike made for corners, and you gotta admit it the Bus looks much nicer stretched hugging the ground.

As for the tyre size, standard 190 on 6inch wide marcheesy rim. Didnt want to go wide tyre kit on it, then the bike will be bit impractical for normal riding. Believe it or not, having the bike stretched 9inch and lowered 2inches, i can still ride this thing around small roundabouts and lean it over and touch the ground with my hand.. Its easy to ride, i had a stretched R1, and the same story, its still easy to ride if you know how to.. The only thing is being lowered, you have to watch your foot pegs, but unless you want to tackle those long bends at 150km/h+ You wont touch them..

7. Very nice bikes, (Kwaka looks mint and completely original? $$$)
    Busa looks cool - would go the exact same mods if i was to get one, and that CAT in the pic is sweet!
  8. Thankyou, the Z1 is mostly ridgy didge, bar the exhaust but i have them anyway. It turns 40 years old this year which is a feat in its own to survive.

The Katana is a friend/customer, we did a bare frame resto, had sat in the garage for 20+ years, and it has the rare side fairings for it which looks cool and like a sports bike, but covers up that nicely polished up motor ](*,)
  9. Nice bikes.

I like the paint on the hyabusa.
  10. Have you had any experience in differences between the unrestricted and restricted Busa's? When I'm off my restrictions in another year I'll definitely be looking at one but I don't know if there's a whole lot of difference between them.
  11. Nice bikes Tim, thanks for sharing.

I have my doubts about a CBR250 staying with a Z9 in a straight line. Under some circumstances the new bike would be pretty close, but under most real-world, every day situations, the big old Kawa (if it was a healthy one and tuned properly) would still stomp a 250 effortlessly. Throw in some corners and the situation would change, especially if the road was smooth and in good nick, like a racetrack. I'd bet a fair bit of money the 250 would get around Amaroo Park a couple of seconds faster than the 9, with a rider on it who knew how to take advantage of what a modern bike can do.

The 'slow' part of a Z9 is lack of cornering clearance, slow and heavy steering (really slow and heavy), and terrible stability and chassis integrity issues. You had to use so much muscle to roll them from side to side, and yet you had to be so smooth so as to not set them wobbling. Even my GSX11s steered about twice as fast and felt like they weighed half as much, and they were 80 ~ 83 models. (Chassis integrity and stability were a trifle better at sub 160, but no better above that and perhaps not as good.)

It's quite possible a 9 today, with modern tyres, with shocks rebuilt to modern specs, might handle streets better than they did back then, I don't know. It'd certainly have a good deal more grip.
  12. All this hype about unrestricted hayabusa's only refers to the first 1999 and year 2000 models, it is said they can clock 321km/h in stock form, where today's bikes the speedo is capped at 299km/h, but it keeps on going, fit a Timing Retard Eliminator (a good branded one) and they remove speed restrictions at the same time as advancing the ignition/spark and therefore get the torque you should be getting from the motor.

Spot on, modern tyres and proper suspension and you can still steer the bike to reasonable speeds on the bends.. Again the head up arse down and 19inch front wheel isnt good for the handling, my z1b is being upgraded a little in this department, brembo brake, Pirelli's, new age Ikon Shocks etc..

That Katana in the photos is a great bike to ride, its almost got 10years on this z1 and it shows in the chassis, braking etc..

Im currently getting my hands on a 72 H2 Triple which i plan on making it up there as one of Oz's best custom 750 2 strokes, stay tuned, but first need to finish the other resto's first.. :cool:
  13. The other problem with bikes of this era, and it was just as true for brit & european bikes, is that production tolerances and quality control was crap! Some were good and some were bad and most were some place in between. Frame alignment, welding, stiffness ratios, damping ... tyres. Everything was wildly variable. I've owned 5 GSX11s and ridden perhaps a dozen others, covered something close to half a million km on them, and while there were some similarities, you could almost think each one was a different bike.

On the original factory fit Bridgestone Mag Mopus tyres, the bike was reasonably stable. But those were crap in other ways, like lousy wet weather performance and lack of feel and low grip, and truly lethal break-away characteristics. They'd hang on up to a point, and then - GONE! No way in Dog's green earth could you slide one of those on asphalt and control it.

Pirelli made the MT28 Phantom. People have told me that a couple of Dunlops before these had forgiving break away, but I never experienced that. Dunlop did introduce the ArrowMax a couple of years later, which had the best grip I'd ever experienced at that stage, and also a very progressive and forgiving break away, but that was still in the future. The MT28 was soft and warmed up quickly, and offered pretty decent grip, as good as anything else out there at the time, but when it let go it was progressive and gradual, and even when sliding it had enough grip to keep you on the bike. And better than that, it had feel, real feedback and a sense of what you were doing and what was happening. It was head and shoulders better than any other tyre on the market at the time.

The problem, as a GSX11 owner, was that they had far less stiffness and structural integrity than the original fit Mag Mopus. At less than 160 that didn't matter. But right around 160, it began to matter very much. Anything over 160, and you really were taking your life in your hands and juggling chainsaws. The bike became seriously unstable, and stayed that way to any higher speed. Pumping up the rear to high pressures helped a little, (44+ psi) but it still didn't really fix it. Lifting up the front with sping preload, air pressure (air assisted forks) and dropping the front tyres pressure to about 30 all helped, as did lowering the back ( minimum spring preload) while cranking the rear damping to max, all helped a bit, but the real fix was to fit a different tyre. But then you lost that lovely feel and grip and wildly forgiving break-away characteristic. What to do, what to do ...

All these many years later, I would dearly love to get hold of a pristine, low kms, factory original GSX and do a little experiment. Wire wheel hubs, 17 inch rims in modern sizes, modern rear shocks (with height adjustment - I think I'd want to jack the rear up quite a bit), and modern sporty tyres. To fit the normal 180 size, you'd also have to swap the swing-arm to something wider. ... No other changes - exactly stock bike. I reckon on that mostly stock 32 year old bike, I could keep most people honest, most of the time. ... Ok, a set of rear-set pegs and a linkage might help a bit too.

I have seen one very close to that. It looked like this. That is the original swing-arm, and while those rear shocks are Italian Marzoccis, they were common as both factory fit (on Ducatis and Guzzis and such) and after-market, at the time. The only thing on this particular bike that was not available at that time, was those nice modern tyres.

14. Great read and good to hear the thorough experience you have had on the Suzuki's. I want a gsx or katana in my collection, has to be a 1100 for me.. Your bike looks tops and very clean. Those Excel rims would be superlight and make a hell of a difference in steering.. My other Z1 has 18inch Akront Alloys, weigh peanuts in comparison to steels..

This H2 project, im going all out on Billet and light weight.. The Marchesini wheels off my gsxr have been saved for it, they also wear $600 in Michelin's which stick awesome on the road, i have billet triple tree's for it, billet sidestand, swingarm is getting made of billet and will be the most trick part on the bike, i will have to throw up a pic as each side is hollowed out in patterns to save more weight, and $2500 in Works Performance top of the line dual shockies, i cant wait till the thing is completed and embarrassing a few of the new bikes.. Im probably going to run with KYB front forks, and the rest will look like a standard H2 :D

15. So not really worth finding one of the old ones then. Guess I'll get a brand spankin' new one! (in a year or more)
  16. Not at all, still a top bike, but 08~onwards gained 41cc more to 1340 so better smooth powerful midrange.. Considering 99-07 was the same practically, this current shape Gen 2 should statistically still look the same from Suzuki for another 4 years min :p
  17. How much do the speed de-restricters run you? Are they legal? Does the non-restricted gen II match the gen I for top speed? I know I'll never actually ride it that fast, but something about owning the worlds fastest something tickles me
  18. There's a few gizmo's out there, Healtech, around $150.. And to be honest i too have not been 300km/h on this bike to tell you.. Gen 2 is a better updated bike all round.. I think the new 2012 zx14 is now the worlds fastest bike, only took over a decade to finally beat Suzuki.. They are physically a bigger bike, and you feel the weight in them, but great to ride and all round perfect from factory, except the massive canon exhausts.
  19. Nice bikes man....

That streched out Busa looks more like a torpedo than a MOTO - Very nice indeed =D>
  20. I think the ZX14R accelerates slightly faster, so the (unrestricted) Busa is the Worlds Fastest Production Motorcycle (Top Speed) and ZX14R is the Worlds Fastest Production Motorcycle (acceleration). Of course, when you're talking about the worlds fastest anything, you're down to like, tenths of tenths of tenths etc. of seconds :p