Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Up Hill take offs

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Kamikaze_Kawasaki, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Boy do I live in the wrong area to learn on..... The lovely hills of Eltham look so picturesque but suck when you are learning to ride especially the ones that are on a 45 degree angle up hill...... :evil:

I am enjoying my new toy in the back streets but what is the best method of doing a take off going up hill? In the cage I find hand brake take-offs easy but on the bike I feel totally awkward and I am holding the foot (rear) brake on too hold and stalling and getting flustered and strange looks. :oops:

I am guessing the rear brake is the one to use but I am not having a lot of success. :(

Any advice?

2. hold the revs higher than usual and let the clutch go slower than usual. you're not gunna flip a 250 in a hurry so dont worry too much about revving high and dont freak out if the thing launches on you. you got the right idea with the back brake tho, you've just got to get the transition right. practice at night if possible so you dont go holding up other traffic and try just gently rolling the bike forwards and backwards a little using the clutch to get the feel for it.

3. It's just like in the cage.

Balance clutch at friction point with foot on rear brake.

Let go brake when you have the clutch out enough to hold you there.

Increase revs and let out clutch to take off.

If all else fails, go the other way and do a U turn up the hill *lol*.

4. I wouldn't have thought using the back brake is a good idea, might cause you to overbalance :eek:

Maybe just use the front instead. Smack the sucker into first then burn the clutch as you release the front brake....easy :?

Maybe you should just move.

5. Left foot on ground, right foot on rear brake.
    Rev engine to about 4,000-5,000 rpm and hold. Slowly release the clutch until you hear the engine revs slightly dip as the clutch 'bites' and you start to feel the bike want to move forwards. In as smoothly as you can, release slight amount of pressure on rear brake and slowly release the clutch some more. As the bike moves forward, in combination release the rear brake and clutch fluidly (don't just suddenly let them go), whilst apply more rpm or maintaining rpm at aroudn the 4,000-5,00 mark. Lift left onto peg, after briefly 'dragging' as you normally would.

Practice, practice :)

6. heh :twisted:

hold front brake, both feet on ground, put weight on handlebars. rev to 10,000rpm and dump the clutch. hold the revs at 10k and once the rear wheel is spinning nicely, sit back down (still with both feet on the ground). while holding the throttle, gently release the front brake to take off.

that'll get you going, but you might not like the bill for tyres. i'd say mouths idea would work better :wink:

7. Ditto what the others have said...
    Just make sure that when releasing the clutch, you do it smoothly and not too quickly, as the jerking movement might put you off.

You'll be an expert in no time, so don't worry!

8. I'm still learning too but I'd definately opt for the "holding the bike with the rear brake" method. Whilst having a few revs, just play around with the clutch friction point and once it starts grabbing you can gradually release the brake and let the clutch all the way out.

If you continue to regularly stall, take note that you may be holding the bike too much with the rear brake - I noticed I was doing this a little. :?

9. I have the same problem and usually just try to hold the bike with the pegs in front of my shins, causes a few bruises but I too feel awkward trying to take off on a hill :oops: :D

10. I always use the rear brake and take off fairly slowly....as others have said, its very similar to the car. Just take your time (as you would have when you were learning in a car) and only use the rear brake hard enough to stop you rolling backwards. That way, as you let out the clutch and accelerate, the bike will start to move and you know when you have everything under control.

:D :D :D

11. Or lane split to get the front of traffic, hold the clutch at the friction point while revving like a mad man. Lights go green, dump clutch and open throttle, engine screaming like a banshee.

Watch mitsubishi's overtake because you're riding a god-damn 250. Put away Rossi dreams until you get a bigger bike.

That or use the rear brake, which ever suits you best.

12. about the only time i use the rear brake is if i need to place my bike in neutral and take my hand off the throttle. ( hand off throttle equalls no front brake applied )

( FLAT GROUND )
    i take it when you come to a stop, your using the front brake?
    when you are stopped at an intersection , you have your index finger on the front brake? clutch pulled in ?

when you take off from the lights, you simply let the front brake off and feed in the clutch as you increase the throttle?

( HILL )
    same applies to a hill......... your stopped , but on a slope, you aint going anywhere, you have the index finger on the front brake.
    simply take off as you would on flat ground ....... concerntrate on the throttle clutch release as you would on flat ground , the index finger will pull backwards off the brake leaver as you turn the throttle.

try it.........

13. only 1 prob with that tho ratty, its a 250. poor bugger needs to wind the throttle all the way on to get up a hill :LOL:

14. I've seen some pretty steep roads.
    Some hills just shouldn't be so steep. It's insane.

15. Due to my lack of height, taking off on one foot isn't an option, unless the sideways slope is optimal.

However, I've become a master at holding the front brake and turning the throttle at the same time. Dangerous allegedly, but it gets the job done, more safely - for me - than the foot brake method.

Its exactly the same concept, just using the front brake instead.

16. maybe we should petition god to have that changed. i mean, what the hell was he thinking??? :wink: grumble grumble we'll show that bastard that he cant just go around making steep hills and expect to get away with it :LOL:

17. Heh, I definately use my back brake and ease off.

I have a really steep drive way, and one day while waiting for my garage door to open up, I used the front brake. With me sitting on the bike, all the weight was on the back. The bike simply went backwards slowly and left a massive skid mark down my drive...

18. Mizz - not all of us have that problem! :p

Strangely, in all the troubles I've had with learning so far, hill starts aren't one of them.

If you're -really- struggling with hillstarts, try this:

Apply rear brake hard, then ease it off until JUST before the bike wants to roll away. Open up the throttle, let the clutch out to friction, few more revs and you SHOULD feel the bike "shift" on you and the feel change from wanting to roll back to wanting to roll forwards (under engine power). At this point, ease off the brake and ease out the clutch - you should take off smoothly and controlled. If you feel it labour, open up the throttle a bit more.

19. Bucks, while you are learning you will not have mastered throttle, clutch and brake control yet. When your riding gets to the stage where you are not consciously thinking about the actions involved in getting the bike moving you are pretty much there. A hill takeoff has a much lower level of tolerance than a flat or downhill takeoff. Same principal and problems as in a car (foot/hand controls reversed though). With the lower tolerance you need to compensate by giving the bike a few more revs, taking off slower and slipping the clutch more to avoid stalling. Most of all just practice it...

20. your doing the right thing Mizz ZZR,

riding a bike at any level of proficiency can be daunting and many skills are acquired with the more hours you clock up on the road.
    the skill of twisting the throttle and applying the front brake lever is also used by racers while down shifting the gears into a corner.
    accept you keep "constant pressure" on the brake while allowing the index finger to roll backwards over brake lever with every twist of the throttle as you drop to a lower gear.

keep it up......... Cheers ratty ( aka ratty )