Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

unwritten law when being folowed

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by halifax, Apr 10, 2010.

1. hi all i was going to put this in the etiquette thread as it does regard etiquette but that thread is dying a slow and painful death.

Would like opinion on the following -

when you are riding in a "spirited manner" and a bike comes rushing up behind you, are you meant to -

a) wave them past
    b) stand your ground they will get around you if they wish
    c) speed up when the bike behind tries to overtake

I ask as this is an area which s%&ts me endlessly, example today on mac pass, I am riding up and come across a guy on a zx10, i sit behind happily for a while then decide i want to get past, at such time he decides to turn the throttle on a bit more, I obviously pulled back and sat behind him and followed the rest of the way, we get to the top where it opens up and he decides to smash away at a million kmh!.

Am i right to say "a" is the correct answer? I have always applied this and even did today for a ducati, to me it is the most courteous thing to do.

by the way zx10 on mac pass today with monster decals, i was not impressed with how quick you took the straights!

2. Personally I would go with option B. But, depending on the road, I may try to assist the rider behind by by possibly moving a little further more to the left hand side of the lane so he could see better and had more space. But Really, it is the trailing guys responsibility to pick his place to pass and then go. I wouldn't be speeding up to prevent him passing. When he was past, I might try to follow him if I was able to do so safely to possibly also learn from him (be that learn good things from him or see things that he does that I shouldn't do.

Option C sucks, and I don't think option A should be expected. I ride at my pace, if you want to travel quicker then you get past yourself. If it was a very long windy section where it was impossible to pass I may wave someone past, but on a bike this is not really ever the case.

3. Ok, i'm going to be in the right wheel track, by default, most of the time...except on twisty sections where it's better to use the whole road obviously...but in the longer straights where it's safer to overtake or be overtaken then right track by default.

Now, if theres a rider ahead of me he's likely to be in the right track too... so i can't ride behind him in the right track because that would be rather dumb for safety reasons...(technically, correct etiquette dictates that two bikes or more ride in staggered formation; i don't ride abreast with anyone unless i know them really really well)...Therefore i'll ride behind him in the left track of the lane...

So, if a rider is behind me in the right track on straight sections then he obviously wants to pass... if he's behind me in the left track then he obviously dose'nt want to get past and is content to ride there.

you can wave another rider past by just pointing your right toe out... but i don't tend to wave people past... i'd rather they use their own initiative, lest i wave them toward an unforseen danger unintentionally, or distract them from where they are looking... i just move over to the left wheel track.

4. Well, strictly speaking, you shouldn't have been considering overtaking on the Pass at all, given that it's double yellow top-to-bottom except for the overtaking lane.

5. I would go for Option A, it is easy enough to ease off and let them get away and then get back into it. I think it is poor practice to hold up another rider. Some days you are out for a gentle ride, some days you are more spirited, a single interaction does not necessarily say anything about either of you as a rider, just how you were feeling at the time.

In the incident you describe, perhaps he just wanted to play, but an anonymous rider like that is an unknown quantity and could be dangerous in their decisions if you are riding in close company.

6. If I'm travelling at the speed limit and someone comes up behind me, car or bike, they usually get no favours. I just maintain my line. I'm not interested in what they're doing.

7. Always a),

no matter how good you are, there's always someone who thinks they're better so let them go, the road is not a race track. Secondly (more often nowadays) the one running up behind you is an unmarked cop.

8. I would go with A if he is right on my ass but if he is just kinda chilling out back there matching me for speed i would go for option B and stay on track.

If he does open it up a bit and speed up just let him go, you were wanting to pass because he was to slow but since he is speeding up mission accomplished.

9. Firstly, when riding spiritedly one's focus is way out in front, not in the mirrors, which due to lean angles and corner radii will be pretty well useless anyway till you hit a bit of a straight, by which point, you're already on the throttle. Maybe, just maybe, old mate on the 10 didn't see you there until he was already on it and pulling away. Maybe he was just a prick, who knows?

On my way back from Phillip Island I was having a little bit of fun in some twisty stuff and suddenly noticed a Ducati ST2 on my tail and something else right behind it. Obviously they were travelling together and obviously they were both comfortable attacking this particular piece of road somewhat quicker than I was, so I kept on at my pace until I saw a short straight ahead. I maintained my corner speed through the exit and steered into the left wheel track and pointed with my right foot. Both bikes went round safely before the next bend without having to cross the double unbroken lines.

I guess the bottom line is that it's up to you to get past a slower vehicle, but it is most annoying when they hold you up in the twisty stuff and bolt away on the straights. The beauty of riding a Hayabusa is that there ain't too many that can get away on the straights!

10. if we're mid twisties on a spirited ride and you suddenly appear in my rear view mirrors i'll slow down and left hand track it so we can both continue at our pace, chances are my pace will pick up as i'll have something to chase.

what pisses me off is when im going through the twisties as fast as i can and catch up to a bike who's going alot slower than me, and they don't give me any oppurtunity to over take. just don't be a **** and pull over for 5 seconds and let me pass. sounds a bit arrogant, but i say let the faster person past. if thats me, then let me pass, if thats you, then i'll let you pass.

if i'm just going a - b or on a boring section of road then i'll go into the left hand track so if they want to pass, they can.

11. I would say that you should ride through corners as fast as you feel comfortable but slow down on the straight and if they are that fast they will come by.

12. usually let the person go past. even if i know i'm faster i just wanna be sure they're not a cop. no use doing all your best knee down antics and wheelies only to discover its an unmarked bike cop.
    still gives me the shits when some won't let you past tho......

13. for me it's A

14. i'm more concerned about the road in front of me than the asshole hotshots coming up the rear.

15. ditto. i dont want to risk being taken out if they decide to try and overtake in a dangerous way.

16. but isn't riding to abreast quite legal? So therefore overtaking in the same lane would be too...

17. we all ride differently and technically neither A/ or B/ are wrong......... do what feels right to you at the time by all means but..... its up to you to ensure you dont compromise your own 'line' for the sake of some hotshot.
    What does piss me off no-end is the jet-pilots that seem to think that coming out of no-where, and blasting past you at 100mph on double yellows or coming into corners is good riding.......dumb cnuts!
    Not all riders have their bloody eyes glued to mirrors just waiting for you ya twat.....
    and one day you are going to 'take out' some poor bloody unsuspecting bastard that either doesnt expect you to be there, or panics when all of a sudden you are.......
    I just hope inconsiderate, arrogant twats like you come off worse than the innocent.

(not directed at anyone in particular here, and generalising...
    rant over)

18. I had something similar happen to me on Boneo Rd heading towards Flinders, Hastings etc about 1mth ago.
    Was minding my business, enjoying the ride when another rider appeared suddenly in my mirrors. I was happy to let him pass (though I was already comfortably over the limit by 10-15km/hr). He stooged around for a bit on my tail, whilst I stood my ground.
    For a bit of fun, I accelerated a little more, and as I could have guessed, he was there, hot on my tail. During this 'encounter' there were no other vehicles in sight.
    As it works out, he was on a 2009/10 Ninja 250.
    I had to take my hat off to him - he was trying to take me on, very deliberately :)
    After letting him have his way a few times (mind you, witnessed him carrying out some pretty scary overtaking near oncoming vehicles), my trusty R1 found it's way past the rider, still trying to 'race' me. It was funny - I was actually in tears of laughter underneath my helmet, imagining this guy believing/trying to take on an R1 in Ninja250 !
    All in all, a fun day out on those roads. However, sometimes it might pay to stand your ground and let the other rider's moves dictate what happens next ? Ego's are best left at home, and not whilst riding, something I had to remind myself during this ride.
    My 2 cents.

19. Yep, if someone came up on me fast then I would left wheel track it and give him a finger to go through. If I come up on people and I am doing a little over there pace, I will just go by them and keep my pace. If they want to play I usually just give them "the look" and ignore them.
    The road is no place to play. Bikes today just get to silly speeds to easy. And with the law and media phfft just forget it.
    track days are just so cheap, accessable and easy these days you really are a bloody idiot if you play hard on the road with other bikes.
    No I am no goody two shoes. Everyone squirts here and there, how can you not and why would you own a fast bike if you didnt. Well unless your a wanker. But playing with strangers on the road is a big baddy. Your ego will make you think you can win, but you will all lose.