Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Unwanted towing

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TheMav, Aug 15, 2013.

1. If someone crashes their bike and police arrange for it to be towed without the rider's knowledge (for example, if they were out cold) then who is liable for the towing costs?

2. i'd say the rider, point is - don't pass out and it won't be a issue.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bit of a grey area I would say. NSW Regs (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/ttir2008357/) says

40F Fee cannot be charged for complying with police directions

A fee cannot be charged for towing work that is undertaken in accordance with any direction of a police officer or an authorised officer to move a light motor vehicle that is causing an unreasonable obstruction to the nearest place where it no longer causes an obstruction to traffic.

However that is only to move it to a place where it doesn't obstruct traffic. If they moved it to a secure place past what the minimum required then who knows. The problem is they probably have the bike and will want payment before releasing it. They may have overstepped their authority but your insurance should pay towing costs.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Is this a hypothetical question or related to an event ? If the latter then I would ask the police who authorised the towing, the question
  5. And probably thank them for taking care of the bike for you!
  6. Following an accident would be the rider. I think a tow following an accident are a trade tow and not very expensive anyway. Best thing is to call your insurer and lodge a claim for your crashed bike, then they pay for it.

(Just realised this is NSW, My info is SA based, Tows from the scene of an accident must be done through a central towing number located on your rego papers or through the police who attend the scene)