Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Unscrewing superglued screws

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Ljiljan, Nov 6, 2009.

1. I'm trying to take the front fairing off the bike, and having some issues. Two screws, one on either side, just won't budge. at all. I'm pretty sure they have been glued on with something nasty. I've tried giving them a good whack with a hammer to no avail. I've drowned them in WD-40 for the moment, but is there anything else I can do to get the bastards off.

Thanks in advance

2. You could try an impact screwdriver. That should budge them.

3. yeh i considered that, and thought it would be a really good idea if I had one. thanks though ;)

4. El cheapo from the tool store, about $15-00 for an impact driver kit.
    Brian.

5. Heat.

If you've a soldering iron, apply it to the screw heads for a few minutes. If not, find a bit of metal rod, heat it up on the stove and (wearing gloves) hold it against the screw heads.

Not many common glues retain much strength over 100 degrees C. Most are permanently destroyed much above that.

6. Yep PatB has it.

7. Superglues fail at 91 degrees (give or take a few) so Just use boiling water.

Superglue also tends to become brittle over time. so a force over a long period of time will see the glue fail as well.

8. True, but it might not be superglue. Epoxy willl need more (or it will just harden again when it cools) and, in my experience, so do most flavours of Loctite.