Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Unregistered Vehicle Permit - Pillion

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Petie, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Yes, this is a genuine question :p
    I have my new bike on an Unregistered Vehicle Permit for the purpose of getting it roadworthy and registered. The permit states that for the next 2 weeks I can ride on the roads between 7am and 7pm so long as I am on my way to or from my house, the mechanic or VicRoads. I have searched high and low and can't see any limitation on doing so with a pillion on board, does anyone know the answer.

Secondly, if I was pulled over and couldn't manage to convince the officer that the current journey was for the above purpose, what's the consequence in terms of demerit points, fine etc?

I'm not trying to push it, I simply want to know if my girlfriend can come with me to Vic roads on the day the inspection is booked in.

2. Don't know for sure Pete but there doesn't seem to be any explicit prohibition of passengers in cars or pillions on bikes as far as I can see. The permit covers TAC insurance for the rider and should for any passenger. Just an educated guess though :)

The relevant legislation says

-- - SECT 135

Authorisation given by permit

135. Authorisation given by permit

A short term unregistered vehicle permit for a vehicle authorises the use of
    the vehicle on a highway or on particular roads or road-related areas, as
    specified in the permit.

So what it has written on your permit is the only things you have to work to. Regarding Penalties I think breach of conditions is 5 penalty units, Section 258. One penalty unit is $122.14 in the 2011–12 financial year (1 July 2011 to 30 June 2012). No demerit points I can see.
  3. You can carry a pillion, unless your permit states you can't

Its the same as Own or use unregistered motor cycle, fines are $122, $366 or $611 depending on engine size. No demerit points.

Yes she can unless your permit states otherwise.
  4. Pillion would be a license restriction and not a rego restriction unless specified as a restriction.
    If you were pulled over I'd assume the question would be why you would need to carry a Pillion for the purpose of getting the bike roadworthy or registered. Not sure what they'd hit you with though.
  5. Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. =D>