Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Unregistered from seller to mechanic

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by mipearson, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I've tried searching for this one but can't seem to find it - I remember it coming up here about a year or so ago.

    Is it legal to ride an unregistered bike for the purposes of getting it roadworthy? ie from seller to garage, garage to mechanic, garage to VicRoads?

    I originally didn't think so, but I do remember reading somewhere (perhaps here) that it was. I'm asking because there's a bike in Geelong that I've got a bid on and I'd really rather not have to trailer it everywhere or risk being pinged.

  2. You can get a temporary rego from vicroads which allows you to do this
  3. Can't help with Victoria, but in WA you need a "temporary movements permit". It costs $14.95 and is good for one trip only. Other states of course could be different, and from what i've seen on this forum if its Victorian its going to cost at least twice what it does anywhere else.
  4. Ring Vicroads and get yourself an unregistered vehicle permit.. You'll need somewhere for them to fax it to or alternately you can organise it over the counter at your local Vicroads office. Cost varies depending on how long you get it for 28 days is about $59
  5. You'll need to get a temp permit from vicroads.
  6. Thanks guys!
  7. I picked up an unregistered vehicle permit for mum's bike last week from Vicroads. Cost $33 for 4 days.

    :D :D :D