Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Unmarked Police Car Warning!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Tweetster, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Interesting:

This number actually exists here in Australia . I never even knew about being able to dial the number 112 feature! This actually happened to someone's daughter.

Lauren was 19 yrs old and in university. This story takes place over the
    Christmas/New Year's holiday break.

It was the Saturday before New Year's and it was about 1pm in the
    afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police
    car pulled up behind her and put his lights on.

Lauren's parents have 4 children (high school and university age) and
    have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side
    of the road, but rather wait until they get to a petrol station, etc. So
    Lauren had actually listened to her parents' advice, and promptly phoned
    the number 112 on her mobile phone to tell the police dispatcher that
    she would not pull over right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher
    that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his
    rooftop behind her. The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police
    car where she was, and there wasn't, and he told her to keep driving,
    remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way.

Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind
    her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car
    behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground.
    The man was a convicted ra^%$t and wanted for other crimes.

I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a
    car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparently police
    have to respect your right to keep going to a 'safe' place. You
    obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them i.e., put
    on your hazard lights, or call No. 112 like Lauren did. Too bad the
    mobile phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful

Your call ends up at the 000 service.
  2. 112 is correct for all mobiles works anywhere on all carriers.

The rest of the story is an Urban myth copied from an American site.
  3. ..really??..... well hopefully it didn't happen over here then!!... :)

.....it's doing the email rounds!!
  4. Basic check if your that worried; if you pull over, the cop car should always be half a car width towards the traffic as to protect them and you standing next to your vehicle.

However this sounds like a typical sensationalist story found in 16yo email forwards like the little girl with one leg no eyes who walks 15km to school with no shoes fending off the lions...
  5. Didn't she lose that leg to frostbite when walking to school in summer, through the snow
  6. Not sure, I received a text message saying something similar: "25c can feed a staving African child for a week. Send this message to all of your mates and stave all the little f^&*ers to death!!"

Yeah, she may of staved??
  7. Luxury!

I used to have to get out of the lake I lived in at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
  8. I heard that she had to take the breathalyzer test as well

9. Luxury, we slept in a paper bag, in a puddle, underwater. We would leave for work,before we had come home and our dad beat us to death every night.
    Luxury I say!
  10. A paper bag?! Oh the nights we slept on a highway dreaming that we had a paper bag! We had to wake up half an hour before we went to sleep so we could work for 14 hours just for permission to show up to work. Then when we got back our father would put us through the mincer and feed us to ourselves.

And that was if we were lucky!
  11. Out of curiousity, IS it legal to wait until a "safe" place to pull over? (eg. next servo, etc?).
  12. well, recently, a friend of mine told me that when she was motioned to pull over by a popo she took it upon herself to move out of "harms way" and she still got blasted by that particular cop for not stopping right away.

i'd suggest once you are lit up, you indicate with your blinkers, slow down and pull over to where it's safe, then turn off engine.
  13. 000 is the Emergency contact number in Australia,
    911 is used in the USA,
    999 is used in the UK.

112 was created by the mobile phone industry as a worldwide international emergency number and will connect you to the 000 equivelent in the country your phone is located in at the time (have fun in a country that doesn't speak English).

Phones used in Australia should be set up to alow either 112 or 000 calls with or without a SIM Card fitted and if your carrier has no coverage will automaically access another carrier to make the call.

Some believe 112 uses satellites but thats bull dust only satellite phone use satellites.

Of course the phone needs to have some form of coverage from at least one phone carrier network for any of this to work.
  14. It's illegal not to pull over. If a cop think you could have done it safely 2km back he may book you. In which case you would have to make the argument in court. Plus with regards to whatever he was pulling you over in the first place, you are much, much less likely to get a warning.

i'd say if you are suspect about who is pulling you over, pull over to a place where you can safely get away, leave the engine running, lock the doors,wind down the window an inch or so and ask to see a badge and warrant card.

I think most cops would understand that from a women alone.

Also unmarked cop lights are blue or blue and red. If it were red only, then something is wrong.
  15. I'm not about to call the number while driving and then get charged for using the phone as well.
  16. Pull over, leave windows up and car running in gear. Ask for ID to be shown, and wait to see the equip belt, gun.

Pretty easy really.

Dont pull over and your likely to end up with your face on pavement.
  17. i got pulled a month or so ago, for having too much fun.
    it was a main road we were on when he flashed me, peakhour, so i put my indicators on to turn into a side-street up the block, pointing with my hand where i intended to stop.

pulled over, the officer didn't have a problem with me finding an appropriate place to pull over. he was too busy asking me those stupid rigged questions (ie, "any reason you were speeding back there?"). he wasted so much time talking crap, and being confused by my licence with both C and R (and i quote "this is going to be tricky"), not to mention dazzling him with a beer bottle i keep in a beverage holder on my bike's dash, that he eventually got a call for a REAL crime, and took off.
    i waved. the partner waved back. and i started pissing myself laughing
  18. A guy in Geelong was convicted and jailed about 10 years ago
    for installing flashing lights in his plain Falcon, having a fake police badge,
    and using it to kidnap a woman. A neighbor heard her screaming for help from his garage 2 days later when perpetrator wasn't there, and called the
    real cops who got her out and waited for him to come back.

I read about this in the Geelong Advertiser newspaper when I lived there,
    they were reporting on the court case.

IF you have doubts about an unmarked car pulling your car over, you
    can ask for ID when they come to your window although by then you'll
    probably see they are in uniforms. Otherwise you could tell them you're not
    satisfied with their id and you are going straight to the nearest police
    station, OR now that you are stopped, phone the police station for
  19. I was going to bring that up. I was living in Geelong at the time too. I remember it well. I thought the garage was attached to his shop in a business area though (not that it's relevant to the point).