Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

unmarked police bmw on eastern

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by cosi, Aug 19, 2005.

1. pulled over some cager :D
    a new slick bmw, greyish, i havn't seen one of them before..

just watch out for the white helmet :D

2. Speaking of unmarked cop vehicles, I saw one yesterday on the Princes Highway. It was a brownish colored VY/VZ Commodore. Normally, traffic cars are SS Commodores or similar. This was a Commodore Executive, albeit with a couple of antennas. The copper was wearing a red jumper. He passed me at one point, and going through the town, I passed him at a set of lights. It wasn't til he pulled a car over later on that I realised that, with the flashing hidden lights, that it was a cop car.

Getting sneakier, they are...

3. These bike have been around for a while. When I used to run the workshop at Southbank BMW there were 4 of them that used to come in for a service on a regular basis. Keep an eye out for the small strobe lights on the front and rear of the bike and the rider who has full police uniform on. If you get caught by one of these guys you must be riding around with your eyes closed. They stand out like nipples on a cold day.

4. You used to run the service department at southbank?
    Whatever happened to Dave the dealer principal?
    He was a true gentleman.
    I'm not sure I care for the current people at southbank motorcycles anymore.

5. You used to run the service department at southbank?
    Whatever happened to Dave the dealer principal?
    He was a true gentleman.
    I'm not sure I care for the current people at southbank motorcycles anymore.[/quote]

David owned the store and leased the premises from BMW. BMW wanted the store for it's self. Basicly without going into the details BMW had deep pockets to take the store to the next level. David didn't have the kind of money in reserve. BMW made him an offer and he excepted.

He has started a software company in south Melbourne not too far from his house. We still keep in touch and he's allot happier and lees stressed for getting out of the motorcycle industry.

David is a good guy and I miss seeing him on a daily basis.

Most of the staff have stayed the same and are good people. Steff is still on spare parts, Scott is still in the workshop and Danielle dose a good job of running the service counter. There all good people and all ride bikes so they know what there talking about. Drop in and have a coffee and get to know them. I'm sure you'll feel the same way about them.

6. Yer David was the salt of the Earth.
    As for the parts and accessories I do buy bits and pieces from there and have done warranty work and a recall where they provided me with a replacement bike for the day but I doubt i would take it there for a service because of the cost and also once when I wanted to get the throttle bodies balanced they wanted to charge me $50 whereas Ringwood BM did it for nothing and it took all of 5 mins. I do all my servicing at Ringwood BM and couldn't be happier
    I have no real beef with Southbank apart from feeling it has lost that "homely" feel and is run more like a business whereas when Dave ran it you could have a good chat about things.
    Good to hear he's happy and doing well
    Cheers
    Nick.

7. Yer David was the salt of the Earth.
    As for the parts and accessories I do buy bits and pieces from there and have done warranty work and a recall where they provided me with a replacement bike for the day but I doubt i would take it there for a service because of the cost and also once when I wanted to get the throttle bodies balanced they wanted to charge me $50 whereas Ringwood BM did it for nothing and it took all of 5 mins."homely" feel and is run more like a business whereas when Dave ran it you could have a good chat about things.
    Good to hear he's happy and doing well
    Cheers
    Nick.
    I have no real beef with Southbank apart from feeling it has lost that

What you have to remember is that the rent on the store at southbank is around $150,000 a year. The staff are all experianced BMW staff and well trained and well paid because of their experiance. The workshop is equiped with the latest techno hardwear and software from BMW things that the guys at ringwood dont have access to. All in all the store has alot more over heads than the guys at ringwood. I'm not taking anything away from the guys at ringwood but they can do things like free tweeks due to the fact they have alot less over heads. If you want a quality store with quality staff like the one at southbank you have to pay for it. Fact of life.[/quote]

8. Agreed but when I get excellent results with excellent homely service at a cheaper price I know where I want to go.
    It all boils down to a balance between the two.
    My bimmer has over 60,000 kms on it and still runs like new.
    Cheers.

9. I wonder if he'll still be out there now... torrential downpour and all.
    I took the cage into work this morning (Nunawading) so i'll keep an eye out for him on the way home.

10. That was the bike that pinged me a few months back on the Monash Carpark

Cheers 8)