Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ACT Unlocked exclusion clauses

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by rye, Nov 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 rye, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    To the insurances gurus,

In the process of assessing different polices.

In scenarios where the motorcycle is parked, locked and the rider walks away and the keys are lost. Stolen through their clothing. There is no footage available and the rider is not able to identify when the keys were stolen. They were just walking down the street and did not realise someone had taken their keys..

When you policy contains an unlocked exclusion clause for theft, does someone have examples of how insurance companies make a decision on such cases ?

2. The scenario is if the motorcycle was stolen using a stolen key.

3. its still stolen. and they would still need a key or some other measure to "unlock it"

4. Hi Moose,

Sounds like this is what happened to you?

5. No, but i want to make an informed choice. It would be good to know how the exclusion clause would apply in that situation.

6. Are there any insurance companies that do not have this kind of exclusion clause ?

As for how will they know the key is was stolen, Well I assume they will ask you to provide both sets of keys and if you can only produce one, you will have to explain that you lost the other key.
    Will they just take your word for it or will they assume you left the key in the ignition and apply the clause ?

7. you sound like your borrowing trouble, if your not confident enough to source your own insurance, then utilise a broker.

8. Look its pretty simple. Either you are honest with the insurance company and tell them you left the key in the ignition OR you commit insurance fraud. If you did not leave the key in the ignition, had the steering lock in place etc, the insurance co will accept your statement, unless the key turns up with the bike. Then you would have a few questions to answer. I would not like to be in that situation myself. People lose their keys very often. Just ask @bretto61 - he had to go through that garbage can of smelly prawns a few times and still never found them LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. #9 rye, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
    Fair enough, Ive read alot in other forums where people have dropped the key near the motorcycle, it gets picked up and the bike stolens. If the bike turns up with the key it still doesn't mean the key was left in the ignition.

I doubt a broker will be able to explain how the policy works in great detail. Maybe they can, never used one.

10. not_sure_if_Troll_pony.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tin foil hat on:

Maybe you've got a bike which needs an expensive repair, but still goes.
    You're sick of this bike - maybe you bought it new, maybe you don't like your chances of selling it.
    Maybe the agreed value it's insured for looks mighty tasty.

You ride into the city daily - anyone with a keen eye knows it on that corner, every day from 9 - 5.
    Maybe today you leave the key in the ignition.
    Maybe you do it again tomorrow.
    And the next day.

Maybe the bike gets 'stolen'

Maybe..............
    tinfoilhat.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. If you're claiming theft you'll usually be required to also provide a police report. That and whatever keys you have for bike. Keys often get lost, people move etc. But if key is actually stolen from or with your clothing (eg. mc jacket) etc then I'd have thought also including that info on police report would be sufficient (exclusion clause wouldn't apply)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.