Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

unknown roads = different riding style?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by jphanna, Jun 11, 2012.

1. guys, just because i am a cruiser rider doesnt mean that all i do is polish it 24/7 and ride to local cafe and pose.....

there are lots of us that really enjoy riding too.

but getting back to the topic of this thread. i have found that when i am on 'known favourite' roads..... i take a much more aggressive, confident line, (crusier standards), going from apex to apex, but when faced with an unknown road, i sit in middle of lane, and coax it around the corner to see what lies ahead, for future note taking to register in my memory banks for good roads.

the difference between a known road style and unknown road style is quite large for me, especially when gently 'pushing'.

how you YOU tackle unknown roads?

(by the way i do polish the bling 24/7 as well.....)

2. Yea, I usually take it easy on unknown roads, same for filtering (sometimes)...

3. you can't afford the risks involved with riding unfamiliar roads with the same approach you take to roads you know well

you might get away with it once, or several times, but every time is rolling the dice

4. As in your OP....

If I know the road - the corner...the entry speed, the gear to be in, the momentum to carry.....my tires, the weather, how I feel...etc, etc...I will gladly get my arse of the seat..

If none of the above is true....I don't

5. Same rules apply, no matter what road you're riding. Start wide. The wider you are, the further you can see through the corner.
    Learn to trail the brakes into the corner. You only need the slightest amount of front brake pressure to keep the forks slightly compressed, aiding some extra turn in if it's required (forks compressed, steering geometry is sharper) and you can gently squeeze a bit more braking force out of the front, if the corner unexpectedly tightens, as there is no massive weight transfer to unsettle the bike and unload the front wheel.
    Aim for the apex. As soon as you can see the apex, you should be able to see right through the corner, and wind on the gas to your hearts content. You can modulate the throttle to use all the available real estate, or ease off a tad to slightly tighten your line at this point.
    Riding like this, you can make extremely rapid, yet safe progress along an unknown section of twisties.

• Like Like x 3
  6. You learn to read the roads better over time. I try to look as far ahead as possible, you need to look beyond the road often and that'll give you a hint as to where the road is heading. It could be tree tops or power polls, if you look through the bush you can see where road heads in general. For me this is the most important thing. If you catch a glimpse of the road in a more open section, you might notice that the road plunges down hill then goes off to the right, that way when you hit the tight section you can make a much more educated guess as to where the corners are going to go.

The roads start to become predictable. Obviously there's also the speed advisory signs which I don't use a great deal.

I find I'll take the old start wide finish tight lines if I don't know the road or can't see.

• Like Like x 1
  7. i am going to answer this possibly the opposite to what you expect.

road conditions, surfaces, obstacles, traffic conditions are constantly changing.

therefore you should be riding the roads you do know,
    with the same respect that you give to unknown roads,
    with the aim of improving your riding skills on unknown roads.

the more experience you get on varied roads,
    the more your riding style will become a single style,
    where you are constantly preparing for the worst.

riders that have experienced a wide variety of riding conditions,
    can react to changes in such conditions a lot quicker (almost subconsciously),
    so it may appear that they are giving 10/10ths,
    when really they are only giving about 6-7/10ths.

• Like Like x 6
  8. I ride the same all the time,

Most of the roads I ride are new roads,

A few of the local roads are familiar to me, But they are only feeder roads to get me out to where I want to go,

And by the time I have gone back to a road I have ridden before, Its a new road to me again, Because of the time gap Between rides,

And to me, its a real bonus, To ride on a road that doesn't have Bark, gravel, trees, dirt, mud, Slop, Log trucks, Etc, Etc,

60,000 kays in 3 years, and I never commuted on it either, Thats when I worked for a living,

• Like Like x 2
  9. Not much difference for me: on a familiar road, the traffic conditions are different every time so I ride to what I can see, or what I can't see but could expect to be there.

So pretty much what carver wrote above.

I ride the same _system_ of riding each time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. You may want to consider positioning yourself on _all_ roads for maximum safety, which could be the position which gives you maximum visibility or could be some other position depending on the unique circumstances.

Eg if you have a RH bend, position to the left so you can see further around the bend (unless there is road crud etc on the left). On a LH bend, position close to the centre line so you can see further (unless there is an oncoming vehicle very close to the centre etc etc).

• Like Like x 1
  11. This is excellent advice, I have ridden "harder" (but not hard) on unknown roads because they were wider, visibility was good and conditions were perfect, as opposed to tip-toeing on well known roads because conditions were a bit damp or traffic was bad.

Each day is different and a known road can be just as dangerous if you are over-confident or don't account for the conditions.

Riding should be about enjoying the feel of the open road and enjoying each corner as it comes.

I would never describe the road as having "apexes". Having competed heavily in motorsport, apexes are for the track and the track only!

• Like Like x 1
  12. I pretty much ride the same lines if I know the road or not, the only difference being that I'd be just a little more committed on the familiar roads (if I'm feeling it). Generally I find it far more entertaining to punt down unfamiliar roads even though I ride more slowly and cautiously, it's more of an adventure!

Typically I follow the stay-upright advise. Enter wide and stay wide until you can see the exit, then tighten the line and manhandle the throttle as you wish.

• Like Like x 1
  13. i think its important to put things in perspective. what i class as 'fast' riding.....is in fact a leasurly stroll in park for sport bike riders. i have been on my 'known' favourite roads, pushing it, and had sport bike riders just 'coast' past.

you guys make it look SO EASY!!!!!

14. Good road knowledge is worth 20 horsepower :twisted:.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I tend to be cautious if I don't know the road, especially if its full of twisties, but then that's just me, I like to know what's around that next sharp corner. On familiar roads I have much more confidence, even though each time may throw up different circumstances, if I know the road then I'm far more relaxed.

16. I know The Old Rd pretty well,a while back I am scratching up the hills to PITS and coming around a blind bend and there is a medium size tree across the road.Even knowing the road I still pulled up in time and rode around it,I had a mate a bit behind me.He has been a riding mate for about 30 years but I still went back and flagged him down.I very rarely commit without seeing whats what.I am also pretty good at predicting whats coming up BUT I still get caught on occasions.There is a road in the snowys to Delegate or Dalgetty I forget which with 170ks of 35kph bends with a 30k section of dirt in the middle.One 35k corrugated gravel off camber bend had me running wide to brake and get around it.I lucked it out
    and buggar me the next bend was exactly the same and I did it again.Sometimes the road builder sneaks a few oddball bends into the mix.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Same way as you. :)

Different levels of commitment, speed, road positioning (sometimes), caution, etc.
    You can ride more freely on a road you know, simply because you know what's ahead.

18. You cant be riding freely on a road you know,

A tree, a car on your side, Landslip. pot hole, Pedestrian on a bend, Etc Etc,

These are all things that werent there, last time you rode your familiar road,

I expect all these things whether I am on a familiar road or not,

I come round a corner, I am looking for a way out, Just in case any of the above are there,

Shit does happen on a bike, So I am automatically looking for a way to minimise the damage to me,

I am also taking in the views, waterfalls, creeks, any thing of interest that I can get a piccy of,

When you have been riding for a while, This automatic reaction will come to you, But it does take time, and a lot of big miles under your bum on a bike,

Experience is only gained from extensive riding, In all conditions,

• Like Like x 1

19. Funny you should say that Roarin for when i first started riding with Netrider that was how i rode (the only way i know how) and was ridiculed and told i was sucidal... Breaking into a corner... what a load of crap.... you should finish your breaking well before you hit the corners. I even had experienced riders follow me to tell me how dangerous my riding was. I tried to heed this advise but old habits were hard to break... so i changed who i rode with... haha that was easier!

Being new to the region and having the habit of concentrating more on the road and what lies ahead means i more often do not remember the roads i travel so every time i ride its a new road! So take almost all roads as new roads. I find taking a good line and looking out at clues and glimpses of what lies ahead and how the road behaves is more than enough keep steady. I have been out with riders who are very quick on sections they have done hundreds of times before and dreadgingly slow on new ones.

20. I do tend to take it easier on unknown roads, how much easier depends on the road. This has more to do with not knowing where the road goes than anything that might unexpectedly jump out at me.