Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

unidentified clicking sound

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by titus, Feb 27, 2007.

1. OK, the Trumpy's developed a new sound, and I can't identify what it might be.
    Have narrowed it down to something to do with the front brakes. There's an irregular clicking/ticking sound coming from somewhere around the front wheel, only under brakes. It slows down when reducing road speed, but is not regular. It's not very loud (heard best with the engine off).
    Can't find anything loose (bearing play is OK ) Nor anything in the path of the disc or wheel. The pads are OK.
    Any ideas?

2. Someone`s put footy cards in your spokes, held on with clothes pegs, like you used to have on your dragster. Remember them. :grin:
  3. Yeah, thanks for that... :roll:
    Actually i think your wrong tho'. That would not make a regular ticking sound, not an irregular one. Try harder next time. :wink:
  4. Is the sensor (magnetic) for the speedo on the front discs?

Maybe check this or something else is not protruding where it shouldn't be.
  5. This is a possibility, I reckon. Never understood exactly how this works, but I might investigate. Ta.
  6. Noise

Check your front discs for sideways movement. After a while the buttons between the carrier & disc will wear producing a clicking noise under brakes. Some of the motorcycle engineering places may be able to rectify the problem or buy some aftermarket replacement discs.
  7. Re: Noise

Could be. How much is too much movement? I can make them wiggle very slightly (not enough to make a noise at rest, though)
  8. Discs

Can you get any movement if you try to turn the discs in the same direction as the wheel? Is the axle tightened corectly? Maybe a dust build-up between the brake pads & caliper pistons.
  9. have you actually taken the pads out for inspection?

also, have you checked your front tyre. there may be a chance a rock/nail has wedged itself in your tyres - and only becomes apparent when it spreads its surface area as you apply your front brakes.
  10. Re: Noise

any movement is too much movement, the reason you will get the clicking under brakes is your reducing the speed of a near 200kg bike, you cant appy that much pressure with your hands
  11. could be the clips holding the brake pads in place have broke, i had this happen in a car once. brakes still worked fine as pads cant fall out but made a racket under stress of stopping.
  12. Roight then, had a look at the pads and retaining bolts pins - all good.
    It's not a stone, either.
    Qbnspeedfreak, as far as the disks go, there is no rotational movement at all, but there IS lateral movement. Not much, but it's there. So I tried a couple of other peoples bikes (both Hondas) and THEY also had slight lateral movement, but made no sound like mine does.

Ended up having it looked at by a service shop near work, and they reckon its slight play in the rivets between the inners and the outer disk, and they tell me it's not a problem.
    Might just get a second opinion, all the same.
  13. I ride a 675 and had the same issue, and I worked out what it was. When I braked the disc moved slightly forwards. I checked and none of the jap bikes around the place did it, but was in the shop yesterday and checked a couple of other triumphs. Lo and behold, same movement.

It's just another "character noise" ;)
  14. Yep, that's it, all right. Oh well, if "new" bikes do it, and everyone who looks at it says it's OK, I'll live with it.
  15. I was told that all floating discs are designed to move slightly under braking, as the brake pads don't always engage properly from the get-go. Rather than having a fixed disc where the pads might jolt and bite harder in the middle of hard stopping, the floating discs produce a small 'knock' at the start of braking to knock the pads into optimal position as you apply more force.