Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Unhelmeted Motorcyclist seriously injured in crash

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ElZilcho, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Just saw this on the Age....

Motorcyclist seriously injured in crash

October 18, 2006 - 11:09AM

A motorcyclist without a crash helmet has been badly injured in a collision in Melbourne's south.

Police say the 22-year-old unregistered rider's 80cc Honda motorcycle and a car collided at the intersection of Cranbourne Road and Karingal Drive, Frankston, about 9.30pm (AEST) on Tuesday.

The motorcyclist, from nearby Langwarrin, was airlifted to The Alfred hospital.
  2. no amount of legislation can protect people from their own stupidity.
  3. ZOMG teh serprize!

Wow, 80cc's... bet he had plans for an R1.
  4. Well, it had to happen. Am pretty sure I know who this guy is. Well, not personally know him, but he lives literally just up the road from me. See him riding around all the time on an unregistered bike without a helmet. He did totally silly stuff, like riding down busy roads, unhelmeted, weaving in and out of traffic, pulling stupid moves.

My wife chased him one time to tell him off, but he just skirted off down some walking track at speed. I tried to catch him and give him an earful, but I was never able to, and even if I did I don't think it would've achieved that much. The guy was just one of those who thinks that they're able to do whatever the heck they like, and knowing full well that he's endangering himself and others would run away from anyone who attempted to confront him about it.

Nearly caused a few accidents by just skirting down off some footpath at speed to cross the road right in front of cars. Nearly hit my wife and 2yo daughter when walking back from dropping 6yo daughter at school one day.

Very sad that he had to learn the lesson the hard way, but it seemed like it was unavoidable that this would occur eventually.
  5. Unfortunate that it had to cost him his life to stop that behaviour but better that he killed himself and not some innocent child, a guy I once met had an ugly history, he was unlicensed, on a trail bike, riding it on the road and killed a pedestrian, make of it what you will but this also happened down Frankston way a few years ago.
  6. "badly injured" not deceased.

He'll live to cop the fine and medical bills.
  7. Doesn't qualify for a Darwin award then.

We've got one of these twits in our neighbourhood also.

8. Cathar, you should call the police and tell them what you just told us
  9. Trouble is he was hit by a car which means his expenses will be covered by the cars TAC coverage which is a shame cos he doesn't deserve to have his costs covered :roll:
  10. Why would TAC pay for someone who is illegaly on the road ?
  11. I totally agree...
  12. the wonders or 300 dollar mini dirt bikes aye.

seen peopel in sydney take em on the train with em then just ride them of and all the way home through trafic, no helmet either.

this is y u need more parks in suburbia
  13. Not sure what that would achieve. While I'm reasonably sure it's the same guy (same sort of apparent age, 80cc bike, unhelmeted, lives in Langwarrin), it might not be. I also lack any form of positive identification between the various incidents.

If it is the same guy, he's already been kicked in the 'nads by karma. If it's not the same guy, then the moment I see the one from up our street around, I'll take note of where he lives and call the police and see if they can pay him a visit to drum some sense into him in light of this incident.
  14. There was a fatal outside a mate's place up in Canberra the Friday before Bathurst this year - no jacket, no gloves, no helmet, no idea.
  15. no no no, you've got it all wrong. The only way to stop this is to crack down more on ALL motorcyclists. Scum of the earth they are. Wouldn't trust them as far as i could throw 'em.
  16. You answered your own question.
  17. Obviously the only correct answer is to install more speed cameras...
  18. Actually, if his bike isn't registered, I don't think he can make a claim from the TAC.

Interestingly, about 30% of all motorcycle injuries/fatalities are on un-registered bikes (I may need to check up on this but Un-Riders are a huge problem).

We motorcycle riders get lumped in with people like this. I don't want to sound callous - but....

And, if this guy dies, he gets counted in the M/C road toll :cry: :cry: :mad:
  19. fair point.......and this guy definately isn't one of us.
  20. Are you sure the illegal riding doesn't negate that?