Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Unfriendly encounter with a Harley rider

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by malJohann, Mar 12, 2015.

1. So I'm commuting to work yesterday minding my own business, get to the Batman Ave/Flinders St intersection, filter to the front and stop on the left of a burnt orange Harley Davidson (CVO 1800 Limited I think, looked it up after). The guy must have been unaware of me, because I stopped in his peripheral and his pipes drowned out any other noise.

The traffic light is about to turn green, I get ready and go forward, pull off briskly as I always do and into the left lane so that I don't hog (no pun intended) his lane. He blasts off and I think "yay, game on!" so I give it some gas, he goes full taps cuts dangerously in front of me and over to the left to get to Flinders Ln.

As I go past I turn back in my seat and flash the universal "use your indicators" hand signal twice, for some reason this sets him off and he comes after me. I pull to the left most lane at the red light at Collins St expecting trouble and open my visor, hero pulls in next to me on the right and we start exchanging words and expletives.

Apparently I need to learn how to ride, WTF was I thinking, I shouldn't drag with other bikes off the line like that, guys like him thump guys like me and I should watch out. In between I rattle off at him about what's his problem, maybe trying to use his indicator next time, not cutting in front of me like that and so forth.

Right at the end I step on his foot by accident because he's so close and I was putting my bike back in gear (in case I needed both hands) since the light is about to go green. Still on his rambling, he says "and now you step on my foot" to which I reply that I overbalanced and that he needs to cool down. I pull off, and we go our seperate ways.

How, my dear NR folk, could I have handled this better?

2. filter between a narrower gap , he couldn't follow you through?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Never get into a pissing contest with a Harley rider, he could be your dentist.

• Funny Funny x 17
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wasn't JDK was it?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. I avoid Harley riders at all costs after coming across my first a few weeks back. I pulled up behind him (lots of room between us) and he glares at me in his mirror as if I were some sort of threat and just wouldn't quit. Little old me on my little 125. :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 malJohann, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
    This was the impression I got. I know a 1%er when I see one, and he certainly wasn't one. Maybe he spilled his latté on his touch screen.

Wouldn't know if I saw his face, he never lifted his internal sun visor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. You mean cappuccino.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. 1. Neutral
    2. Stand down
    3. Hop off bike
    4. Make universal arm signal for hugs while screaming "CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG" in his direction
    5. Hug until lights go green
    6. Get back on bike
    7. Repeat at next set of lights until all is better

I've had an ok experience with cruiser (most being Harleys I think) guys. A few blast past me a little too close (moving with traffic and they go for the split, sometimes while we're doing 110), but I saw that as my fault for not seeing them in mirrors.. need to fix the angle of them to see behind me better without flapping arms.
    Another started randomly slowing down and did some epic counter steering lane change to let me pass, gave him the thumbs up (first one, I felt a mixture of cool and retarded afterwards).

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. You accelerated hard and kept yourself In another riders blind spot who you had already acknowledged was probably unaware of your existence?!?

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Wouldn't you be pissed if you'd spent $35+K on a Harley CVO just to be shown up by bloke on a dirt bike.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Uhhh, no. He was aware of me before I pulled off, since I pulled up slightly forward of him right before the green. I might not have made this clear enough though. If he wasn't aware, why would he accelerate harder to get past me?

12. Um, this is where you went wrong, why did you want to race? Ego?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I'm a very laid back guy, but you are correct, I shouldn't be having fun on a bike.

14. Most Harley riders take themselves too seriously, they've an image to maintain don't you know.. Don't worry about him. Unless he was a 1%, then worry.

It seems he needed to re assert his authority after being beaten off the line by a KTM390.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Harley riders are a particular breed, and many of them think they own the road. They are issued with a certificate which says that it is their duty in life to despise other bikes and riders when they buy their bikes.
    Seriously, though, once he tried to race you, you should have shifted into top and tootled. It's pointless getting into arguments with idiots because they just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. #16 Mr Flibble, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
    I was in a servo at Merimbula a while ago, it was busy, and there was a queue for the bowsers. Two fat ****s and their tractors were occupying a bowser each, they'd already paid, they were just standing there talking.

"Move your fcukin' heaps of shit out of the way" - Oh fcuk, Did I say that out loud?

Mod edit:

17. Well, did you?

In all seriousness, I think I might have rudely woken him out of a lull, maybe the Harley's vibes was making him doze.

18. I would avoid stepping on people's feet. Thats how I would of handled it better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. If someone is aggressively following you and being threatening, i wouldn't pull over or stop at all... just find an escape and go.

sounds like a bit of a spanner anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. I think number 5 needs to include buttock cupping.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1