Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Undertaking?

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by Ezup, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Coming back towards Sydney on the Great Western Highway at Lawson, where the road merges to a single lane. Riding down the hill pretty confident with the new bike and leading the traffic column, next thing know a white toyota camry Overtakes on the shoulder from 3 cars behind, nearly clips me and then slams on the brakes!!
    1st day on the a brand new bike, fresh to riding and that happens!!! Havent ridden up the mountains since!!

2. mate welcome to wankers on the road

3. Yeah Since then I've had a few brushes particularly with soccer mums!!

4. Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling. You'll either get used to it or give up riding out of fear.

5. I don't want to be over critical, nor condone the drivers behaviour, but the best way to avoid wankers on the road is to ride conciderately of others. How long had you been in the right lane for? Did you give those behind you every opportunity to overtake properly before merging into one lane? Look at the situation and think is there anything I could have done that would not have aggrevated the driver.

6. ...Wait till you have a few more with young females in brightly coloured Mazda's with P plates. And they are usually texting, talking, make-up'ing while driving.

That's even more fun. :D

..and sometimes there will be Barina's as well. It's a jungle out there.

Hehe.

7. before the lane comes to a close there is about 2 to 3km of overtaking lane and i was overtaking the traffic. Having grown up in the area I was at a loss why when going a touch above the speed limit some old woman would find the dire need to overtake me......

8. Undertaking is what you do with corpses overtaking is what you do on the road, even up the inside.

9. Wiki says

Undertaking may refer to:
    The task performed by a funeral director

In business, in particular in "EU English", the term is used interchangeably with Company, i.e. a business entity

The act of Undertaking (driving), overtaking another vehicle using the kerb-side lane

A surety bond
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undertaking

10. ... I ride up and down the mountains A LOT..it's always and intersting experience...it's not helped any by all the roadworks... and people get impatient etc. Add to that, they seem to love hugging the arse of bikes up there too.

Never had your experience... but it's just the place for dumb F*cks unfortunately.

I always try to be MEGA. Vigilant on that road.... it's just the nature of it. Expect anything at all to happen.... because it probably will!!

It's a great bit of road in parts... just keep your wits a out you!

11. ... I ride up and down the mountains A LOT..it's always and intersting experience...it's not helped any by all the roadworks... and people get impatient etc. Add to that, they seem to love hugging the arse of bikes up there too.

Never had your experience... but it's just the place for dumb F*cks unfortunately.

I always try to be MEGA. Vigilant on that road.... it's just the nature of it. Expect anything at all to happen.... because it probably will!!

It's a great bit of road in parts... just keep your wits a out you!

12. Saying 'undertaking' to describe overtaking on the outside is semantically incorrect, but colloquially correct. So, you're both right.

13. I agree. Undertaking is when you 'pass' on the inside lane, to the left of others. Overtaking, when you pass on the right or outside lane. Undertaking = unsafe, usually brought on by muppets failing to keep left, likely to lead to the corpse kind.

14. It is a colloquial term that shits me but it is ironic how appropriately coined it is at times.

15. but perfectly legal in Victoria

16. Totally agree with you on that! The mountains even to drive a cage through is horrible. I reckon the woodford bends and that stretch between springwood and woodford are the worst.

Too bad negligent caging doesn't help our situation!

17. Why does it shit you? It's a pretty common term, I use it all the time. Much easier than saying 'overtaking on the left of someone.'

I've tried that before and the person said, 'you mean undertaking?'

18. I'm with zx because, semantically, 'undertaking' makes absolutely no sense.

19. Overtaking on the left of a moving vehicle that isn't turning right using the the shoulder is perfectly legal in Victoria? Some how I don't think so.

20. Yeah I always new it as undertaking, i guess it horses to courses!