Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Understanding Maintenance Charts

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by agelow, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Hi guys

Just looking at the maintenance chart for Suzuki Across 250.

Can anyone explain to me how this chart works? Does it mean that every 1000 km I have to inspect all those things? Whens my major service? Minor? etc?

Also noted that ti doesnt say anything about carby syncing?

right now the bike is at 37000km so not sure what and when the bike needs to be serviced.

maintenance.

Cheers

Adrian

2. Do you have the sevice/log book for the bike? will have been stamped at last service with odo reading. though, a lot of people just sevice those bikes themselves, fairly simple tech.
    from new, first service is at 1000k, thereafter every 5000 k's.
    so if it was last services at 31,000k's then it's due for one now.
    the exceptions are the chain, which suggests clean and lube every 1,000k. and the air cleaner, blow it out every 3,000k's.

it's just a guideline really, depends on where
    and how or how often you ride.

if you're unsure how of the bikes maintentance history, probably best to get a mechanic to give a service anyway and a good look over, see if anything else needs attention, get it sorted and start a new log book.

you could try Madbiker, or Everything two wheels, both are honest and will tell you what needs attenting to immediately and what can wait.

to try an explain the table, i"ll give examples>
    spark plugs are inspected every 5,000k's and replaced every 10,000k's
    chassis bolts/nuts tightenned every 5,000 k's
    brakes are inspected every 5,000k's

inspection determines if the part needs replacing or something needs adjusting. so something like brake pads, be sure to look at them every 5,000k's and you can determine how much is left in them. your inspection might deem they"ll last for a couple more thou, then replace.
    something like valve clearances you'd check every 5,000 and if they're fine, meh.. if not adjust

can do it all yourself if you want and have the tools, or just book it into a mechanic every say 5-6,000 k's.
    that's what i do, because then it gets done properly the first time. whereas if i do it i tend to cock it up

3. thanks for that mate. any idea on how often i should get it a major service?? in terms of kms?? every 20,000?

yes iv just bought the bike and unfortunately the bike didnt come with any service history. My fault really. i should have checked.

i might bring it in to a mechanic to get a major service so im sure whats been done.

how do i start a new log book? do i create one myself or buy it.

4. Yeah, I was in the same boat, I was so in love with my first bike that I forgot about the log book, it was from a dealer and then once I remembered the log book (when I was putting it in for a service) he asked to bring the log book in, at that point I was like 'Doh!', so I just ended up saying do a major service and we'll work from there.

I just brought a small folder and have put all receipts for servicing products (oil filter, oil, chain lube etc) and noted when I did stuff, top up oil, cleaned air filter, and so on.

It might hurt the resale value of my bike as my log book starts at 15,000km rather then the initial break in service.

5. probably best you ring a mechanic and enquire as to what's involved with that make/model, or what they generally do for a major service.
    Mick Hone in Box Hill also has a decent mechanic, local to you.
    log book, just keep the reciepts from the servicing, should be itemised and stamped. put them in a folder or something, then you've got a service history you can provide on re-sale for prospective buyers.
    don't bother with Peter Stevens. they"ll be more than happy to bill you for a major service, but they won't actually touch your bike or go any where near it between the times you drop it of and pick it up.
    good mechanic will give you an itemised reciept and show you any parts he needed to replace.
    60 degrees in Notting Hill is another good one.

2, maybe 3 of the ones i've mentioned often run basic maintenance courses on the side, for riders who want a bit of hands on prac, worth inquiring about

6. What you want is a workshop manual. It will give you major and minor intervals. Even how to do them all.
    Google it. More than likely someone has it floating on the web for nothing.