Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Unbalanced Carbs

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by aimre, Feb 5, 2008.

1. How do i tell if they are? Without using a mnonomononmeter?

Like are there any tell tale signs?

2. funny idle, but that can be caused by a number of things.
    also comparing sparkplugs....but again, they are influenced by a number of things.
    the best way is to use the vacuum guage thingy's :)
  3. Fnuuy idle is a good way to tell, anotehr good way is an engine that farts and grumbles transitioning from idle to cruise revs under load. It'll surge and generaly not run nicely.
    I have had what I thought were well sorted carbs on a bike beofre, balanced them and been amazed at the difference.
    I think a good tune and carb balance should be number one priority for any used bike (and some new! :shock: ) that anyne buys. It makes teh bike so much nicer to ride.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. I think you meant a manometer. ;-)

Uneven pressure from the pipes (won't work if a 2 or 3 or 4 into 1 is fitted).

Uneven sound - it's hard to describe.

Out-of-sync carbs are not a really big issue on a twin, can be more annoying on a four. Dirty fuel or wrong valve clearances leading to burnt valves are much more serious. Carb sync is a "finesse" thing about bike tune, more like dotting your "t"s and crossing your "i"s when you write.

What is the problem you are experiencing?

All the best

Trevor G