Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Unavoidable Accident

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by mattles, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Hi Bike Riders new and old!
    Just thought I would let you all know about my recent motorbike accident!

I am a Learner rider, and was on a Hyosung Comet GT250 Naked.

2 weeks ago I was riding home from work, when I was struck by a cab driver doing an illegal u-turn across 4 lanes of traffic and 2 tram tracks.

He T-Boned me on my left hand side directly front on his bonnet.

He was not looking and thus did not see me riding in a straight line at 20km/h when he hit me. He was only looking at the traffic on the other side of the road.

Basically it was unavoidable from my point of view. Luckily I walked away with just a busted knee. My Hornee Kevlar lined jeans, Helmet, Thor boots and Motorbike jacket saved me from even the smallest scratch!

Unfortunately my motorbike is a write off, I still have a very swollen knee and been off work for 2 weeks.

No amount of practice could have prevented me from being hit by the Cab.

Now I have the hassle of all the waiting, $$$, paper work, physio, looking for a new bike, insurance, TAC etc.

It has not deterred me from riding and I plan on getting back out on the bike as soon as I physically can, and then going for my full license.

I just got to get a new helmet and bike which takes time and money!

But yeah, just thought I would share my first accident on the motorbike as a learner rider, and how wearing the right gear got me off a hell of a lot better than if I was in casual clothes!

Oh and if anyone is selling a Hyosung 250 let me know!

2. Sorry to hear about your first accident.

Glad your mostly OK :)

Good on you for still wanting to ride

3. Well done on still being here and wanting to continue to ride.

Although the chances of you avoiding the accident were indeed slim, to say that there was nothing you could do and that it was inevitable is fatalistic in the extreme.

A cab, by the side of the road is a likely u-turn risk. Any car that is stationary or going slow and with an occupant might turn in front of you. Look for head and hand movements, they're all indicators of what might shortly happen.

BTW, the same thing happened to me when I was 19 and the memory still lives with me (so I hope you don't think I am being pious), it's just that there is always something you could have done different (even if it just reduces the severity of the accident).

4. Sorry about your accidents. but please dont think that accidents cannot be avoided. There are always things that we can do as riders to minimise the chances of accidents happening.

I could have gotten tboned today as well. I was splitting traffic and it was a keep clear box. I was just about to go through when I stuck my head out to make sure that noone was going to make a right turn from the otherside. fortunately someone was we both went for the brakes. He could have hit me if neither of us checked before we turned. ASSUME NOTHING

If you looked both side of the road before crossing and a plane crashes on you, that is, unavoidable.

5. Agree with cejay, writing it off as all the other parties fault won't help you learn from it.

Coming out from uni everyday the street is lined with parked cars, if there's no oncoming traffic I stay as far right in my lane as possible (to give myself as much of a buffer as possible + make myself as visible to them as possible) and I keep an eye on them, especially if I can't tell if someone is in there or not.

Glad you are okay and in good spirits, heal up quick mate.

6. A taxi by the side of the road should ring alarm bells and you should always be aware that at any second they WILL turn in front of you.
    This accident was entirely avoidable but in your case being a learner you get the benefit of the doubt and in hindsight you will realise that in the future complete road awareness will keep you in good stead.

7. Bollocks. Short of a piano falling on your head there's no such thing as a bike accident that's not the rider's fault. Every car's a potential danger, all you've got is your wits to save you. In this case your wits let you down - and you got away lucky (extra lucky because this gives you a chance to get another bike that's not a whoflung) - but don't make the mistake of thinking there's nothing you could have done differently.

8. We are not trying to give you a hard time.

We are just trying to point out to you that accidents CAN be avoided. you just need to think for yourself, AND other road users.

9. And there was me trying very hard to not upset the bloke....

10. We'll be a team Cejay. You go good cop, I'll go bad cop. Roger's the bent cop.

11. farrrkk.. your all cops now?

:bolt:

12. Bad stuff about your accident. Least you're ok.

Bikes can be replaced, people can't.

One word of advice. Taxi drivers don't use mirrors, or a brain.

Most of them come from countries with little to no road rules, have virtually no ability to drive a car and no respect for any other road users. How the hell they get a license in this country beggars belief.

I encounter them everyday on City Link going to Tullamarine. I don't think they know otehr traffic actually exists.

Yellow cab = warning bells. Expect the unexpected.

13. As a learner, I find identifying hazards the most difficult of things.

I can read the intentions of others based on body language and the positioning of their vehicle in the context of traffic. I watch for blind corners and try to put myself in safe situations. Despite all this there comes a time in any situation where you have to make a judgement on what will likely happen and act accordingly.

If you're passing a cab and he gives no sign of movement then makes a uturn at the precise moment to t bone you all the buffers, internal hazard commentaries, set up braking and identifying possible escape routes may not be enough to prevent the accident. I mean, you've got to pass the guy sometime.

I accept that most accidents can be avoided but If you're telling yourself you can't be hurt because you can do something to avoid every accident then you're open to all sorts of errors of judgment.

IMHO know how to be safe on the road. Put it into practice. Accept that you are open to an element of risk when driving a motor vehicle.

14. Wanna know how you might have avoided the crash or do you prefer to assume it was unavoidable and get cleaned up again next time? I'll guess option 'a'. :)

Taxis on the side of the road are a likely danger so get ready when you see them.

It was a 4 lane road (2 each direction I assume) so you could have moved to the right wheel track of the right lane to maximise your space and reaction time.

You were only doing 20kph. That's fine and maximises your ability to brake. However when you got close enough that braking wasn't going to work, you might have avoided the crash by speeding up to get past the taxt faster.

Also, at 20kph you have a lot of time to pay attention to the vehicles around you. Look for body language (head checking/reading maps/apparent confusion). Very importantly, watch the cars wheels. Before the U-turn you might have seen the front wheels turn and start rolling before the car's body moved if you'd known to look for it. This would have signalled a need for action much sooner.

An "unavoidable" crash would be an extremely rare event. I've had 2 cars hit me. It was the cars fault each time but both were avoidable. In July this year I was rear ended at an intercection. Having seen the car in my mirrors and thinking it looked suss, I waited until I was sure it wasn't stopping before I took action. By leaning the bike and taking off (aiming to go left between the other traffic and gutter) I was able to minimise the impact and prevent a drop or serious damage. It was a good result but if I'd acted sooner I could have avoided the hit altogether.

Experience counts for a lot. Even when they know what to do, many learners get hurt because they can't react quickly. Even experienced riders get caught out. In the case I described, my escape route was risky and required a high level of bike control. I assessed my options quickley but I made the mistake of waiting too long rather than trust my instincts and first impression of the cars speed and position.

Everytime you crash, make it your main priority to figure out what you could have done to avoid it. A better understanding of the possiblities might not garrentee you can avoid it next time, but it will help and could save your skin.

Best wishes for your recovery and I hope you sort out a new bike and gear quickly. Don't get too stressed about the whole thing, stacks are a risk we take. Happy riding for the future. :)

15. Never blame the other party 100%, even when its entirely their fault - otherwise you're missing opportunities to learn, and with such a cost thats a waste.

16. what do you mean by busted knee? im curious as to how well the hornee jeans protected you. so the jeans held up against abrasion but you still got knocked around a bit?

17. My driving/riding instructors always told me - "no such thing as motor accidents, only crashes".

18. How much padding do you think kevlar lined jeans give?
    All they do is protect from abrasion not impact.
    If his jeans had armour or some type of padding then his knee would have been better off if it were an impact.

19. A camry t-boned me in 2002, hit the tank with my knee (hard enough to dent it) and it still gives me the odd ache and pain. I was riding in regular jeans but it's no different with kelar lined jeans. They only provide abrasion resistance, not impact protection. :)

20. Jeebus, now I have mental images of Loz in a cop outfit!