Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Unacceptable Road Building - Governments should be held ACCOUNTABLE..

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by joetdm, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Ok, I think the current road building/repairing methods used in this country where roads are left with gravel for traffic to settle down before completing really needs some discussion... AGAIN!

Why should motorcyclists accept a road building proceedure clearly designed only for 4 wheeled vehilcles?
    Remember it's only due to costs that they use certain building methods that clearly then require public vehicles to complete the surface.
    This is WRONG WRONG WRONG and freakin shite load more dangerous for any two wheeled vehicles.

It's not that they can't leave a clean surface.
    Could you imagine the outcry if at the completion of Eastlink in VIC, Sydney M freeways, (and similar roads) they left loose gravel and just told joe public that we'll finish it later when all your cars have cleared it up for us?

I don't have an issue while roads are actually under contruction as long as it's well signed but really don't agree about methods that require a few months of traffic to do some work before they complete it...

The new resurfacing on Jamison-Eildon Rd (in VIC) is a perfect example of this road building practice without any regard to motorcycles!

Seems to me that someone's budget has priority over a motorcyclist's life...
    And now we recently have another rider (and not a noob) who may have come off due to some fine screening left behind or that spread on the road from recent works.

If a road is gravel in the first place, then you know and deal with it but FFS, roads that have been sealed for years then left in a loose stone state after repair or upgrading shouldn't be put up with anymore.
    I say finish it properly in the first place and don't give riders a totally unexpected situation!

Now some will say roads in Aus have always been built/repaired in that way and it's up to everyone to take care.
    Yep some truth in that but it's the unexpected that puts riders into grief so but just because they've always built that way doesn't mean building methods can't change...

I posted this point on another thread and got a slap on the wrist due to something about not being appropriate for the thread..
    Don't have an issue with that but I still believe it needs a look at and some discussion.

PS: lets f&cking put those who decide how roads should be built on bikes and let them try their own roads because currently, they don't have a clue about riding a motorcycle.........
  2. Good points well made.
    Write to Vicroads
    Write to TAC
    Write to your local Member
  3. Your wrong there,
    They didnt always leave the new road covered in gravel, Thats a modern approach to road building,
    A new road was always swept clean, It actually sparkled,

But now, gravel every where, Its down right dangerous for a bike, Especially on corners,
    How many bikes have dropped for that reason only,
    Road bikes dont corner in gravel.
    TAC, VICPOL, ETC, promptly put it down to excess speed.

My Blackbird is all over the road when it hits gravel, and it has nothing to do with speed.

Fortunately, I can hear the gravel hitting the radiator, so I have a bit of warning, Even tho I cant see the fine gravel on the road,

And yes, I have run off the road when hitting gravel, Its better than dropping the bike,
  4. I agree. Its pathetic how MC riders pay to use the road while not being truely recognised. They have substandard road surfaces for MC riders and inadequate barriers that present more of a danger to a MC life.
  5. 13 11 70

Stick it in your mobile and report EVERY instance of this you see.
  6. What are Pizza Hut going to do about it?
  7. Agreed, there's got hit by rocks on the helmet the other day.

But it's not great for cars either - scratches on the paint work and chipped windscreens.

I thought it was supposed to be a SEALED road, i.e. they were suppose to tar it.
  8. Showered by them on the black spur every time a car came the other way...
  9. I've been doing this in WA for a few years now and it generally gets a good response. Sometimes quite an expensive one when corrective work has resulted in overtime.

On a more general note, in WA it seems to be down to the universal use of private contractors. Traffic control is, generally a joke (my 11 yo daughter could do better in most cases) and the general standard of work is, frankly, appalling. I suspect that, not only does Main Roads not have any engineers of its own any more, but that it doesn't even have the manpower to conduct spot checks to ensure that it (and the WA taxpayer, of course) isn't getting ripped off by its contractors.
  10. In Victoria, it's actually endorsed practise along popular motorcycling roads. A good friend of mine spoke to a road contractor when they last did the road works on the Reefton and left loose gravel everywhere. My friend was told by the worker that they were requested to do it this way by Vicroads because it greatly reduces motorcycling traffic in the area. For 3 years in a row there I remember that at around September/October they'd sprinkle more loose crap down on the Reefton, and it wouldn't be clear until by March due to the fairly low traffic in the area. That suited the powers that be just fine.

Seems to also be what they've on the Black Spur this year.

Where I'm going with this is don't get sucked into thinking that this practise is purely a matter of convenience and money. Sometimes it really is about making life difficult for two-wheeled vehicles as a perverse form of "traffic management".
  11. can you get that in writing?
  12. QLD has the worst road repairs in the country. A typical example is when they fill a pot hole they over fill it by 25mm. And only with mushy tar.Then it does not get to set. So you end up with a 50mm lip into a hole about 75mm deep. And yep all back to private contracting. All about the buck.
    The government has palmed off everything that does not make them a buck. So these private enterprises take up the contracts and try to make a buck out of something that cant be. Blood out of a stone or something like that. And I am led to believe they are only liable if they have a road under repair sign out.
    As for making the roads better. It just wont happen till we have the population to pay for it.
    Funny though not. If we were another minority complaining about something that only affected us. There would be a parliamentary enquiery strait away.
  13. Agree with Lilley with that one...
    Get it in writing and I'd see a mass claim on the cards!!

Purposely leaving a road in a dangerous state would almost be criminal..
  14. Sounds like an opportunity for a pre-dawn volunteer working party with a couple of dozen brooms :D.

Seriously, back when I was involved in organising bike rallies in the UK, we'd often go out and sweep every bend and junction on the approach roads the day before. All highly unofficial and probably illegal, but eminently doable.
  15. Anyone got access to a streetsweeper?

Maybe Pickles have some going cheap...
  16. **** em. Now I'm mad angry. I've often wondered about the excess amount of gravel up on Reefton, it's bloody annoying. This crosses the line. Enforcing the (albeit overly restrictive) law is one thing, but purposely putting lives at risk just as a deterrent takes it to a whole other level.

Can we complain to the local council up there about it? I'd help sweep it, but it's a damn long stretch of road...
  17. Time for a little candid camera and a big please explain. Only way you will get them.
  18. 13 11 71

19. My friend, unfortunately you are incorrect. I've recently moved to Melbourne from the Sunshine Coast and some of the roads down here have to be seen to be believed. I rode down a road called the Burwood Highway today and it is an utter disgrace. The road has been 'repaired' so many times, there is no original road left, just a patchwork of dodgy repairs and tram lines. Many inner suburban roads are just as bad.

Seriously, sunshine coast and Qld roads in general are a dream compared to the roads around here. On the plus side it seems a higher % of Victorians can actually drive compared to Qld'ers.
  20. I'd imagine that even if you got a road worker on camera admitting to what the policy is, that vicroads would still deny it, and stating that the words of a contractor do not represent vicroads policy. You'd have to actually find some memo, signed by vicroads, stating that. I'd very much doubt that this will actually be written policy anywhere though. These govt depts are pretty good nowadays of having a written public agenda, and then having a private verbal policy that is communicated to the contracting manager. Unless you could get into a private meeting between the two, then it's going to be hard to nail them. Even though everyone on the job knows what the deal is, gathering enough evidence to nail anyone with it will be a nigh impossible job.

Plausible deniability seems to be a practise that most govt organisations in Victoria have taken to heart, regardless of who's elected.

Just like when a mate of mine got pulled over by the cops up there. The angry and vocal officer let fly that it's their goal to rid the Yarra Ranges of the scourge of all motorcyclists in the region by making it as unpleasant as possible for all. Of course, the other officers aren't as nasty about it, and most tow the politically correct party line of "community education", but every now and then we go get glimpses of what the real motivations are behind the "spin". The problem is proving it and nailing anyone with that knowledge. If anyone's got any good ideas, I'd sure like to hear it.

About the only effective policy would be mass people power, but given that most riders seem happy to split their loyalties on the basis of "us and them" depending upon things as trivial as fender eliminators, or choice of protection, then really what hope do we as motorcyclists have when we're our own worst enemy by not standing united against what is clearly distasteful policy? Even now, there will be lickspittles reading this thread, ready to make the comment that "Well, if you were riding carefully, then a bit of gravel shouldn't be a problem for you, should it? Anyone who complains is a shit rider". Yep, what hope do we have?