Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Unable to get bike started

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by longhorn, Jul 14, 2006.

1. I've finally gotten home after spending 3 months interstate for work and made the horrible discovery that my bike (cbr250rr) wont start.

When I hit they starter, nothing happens. The gauges dim a little bit and the engine makes one light splutter but then it all just stops. And after that pressing the starter button does squat.

My original thought was the battery but the indicator says it has a full charge. I also thought I left the fuel turned off, but after investigation last night I am beginning to think that it was perhaps turned to reserve.

Does it sound like a case of flooding to you guys or something else?

Any tips for my best way forward in getting up and running again would be much appreciated.
  2. will the engine turn over ? try pushing it in gear to check.

Try jump starting it from a known good battery.
  3. turn key on
    (make sure kill switch is off)
    place in second gear
    stradle the bike
    get a run along
    drop the clutch
    once its going pull the clutch keep the revs up and apply the choke.
  4. I tried jump starting last night, but it showed the exact same behaviour as when I try to start normally (nothing happens) , which lead me to believe it was more likely that its flooded.

I'll give the push start a go when I get home tonight.

Cheers guys
  5. A good known battery (ie, fully-charged away from the bike) is a good start, since the lights are not showing a charge.

Then get your voltage regulator checked; some Hondas have suspect regulators, and even if you replace the battery, it will still not be charging correctly.....
  6. if it's flooded enough to stop it turning over on the starter motor push starting may do some damage.

my advice, pull the plugs and see if it actualy turns over by hand.
  7. Sorry to cut in .... but how do you turn the engine over by hand.
    BTW if its a four cylinder bike, will it have 4 spark plugs?
  8. First part is a good question.......

Yes, four cylinder bikes have four plugs..
  9. Place it on a stand (or the centre stand), stick it in gear, and rotate the rear wheel by hand.
  10. does it have a center stand?? if it does is rear tyre off ground when it's on stand?? pull the plugs (all 4) click in gear, rotate rear tyre by hand, or i guess you could push the bike.

if engine turns over hit the starter and see what happens, you could have a dodgy starter/solenoid
  11. definitely sounds like a battery problem. The fact that it has been sitting there for 3 months would suprise me if the battery is still fully charged. Batteries tend to lose their charge over time. Also, could be build up around and between the battery terminals which restricts the power coming out of the battery into the cables, so remove tha cables on the battery and sand the surfaces clean and replace.

Another much less likely problem could be some slight corrosion in the cylinders making it harder for the pistons to move up and down, so starter struggles to crank the motor, to aleviate this problem, remove the plugs and spray some crc/WD40 in the cylinders and turn motor by hand (as explained above) this will losen any corrosion and allow motor to turn easy enough.

I would put my money on a flat battery though.
  12. Cool guys,

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I have a nice list of things to try out on the weekend to get up and running again.

Here is hoping I'm back out on the road again soon
  13. I'm not sure what you mean by the "indicator" shows that the battery is fully charged, but if it's just the warning light on the dashboard, then that means next to squat.

The fact that the engine only turned over breifly indicates it is the battery or it's terminals.

Charge the battery, make sure it's got water, if it's not a sealed type and clean the terminals.

That should do it.

Do go chasing flodding or ignition untill it will turn over on the battery for at least 30 seconds to a minute.
  14. You need a new battery!

Don't bother charging the old one, depending on how long it's been flat it will most likely be dead.

The bike won't flood just because you left it on reserve...
  15. Cammo Said:
    You'll have full voltage with about 2 amps in the battery. In short, it's focked.

Everything has a life. It's time to replace the battery.
  16. I would have to second Cammo's opinion.

A battery can reach a flatness level which cannot be revived even from a jumpstart.

Grab a multimeter if u got one and measure the voltage. This should give you a fair indication of the battery's state.
  17. Yep, agreed, there's nothing wrong with the bike - if you leave a bike unridden for 3 months the battery will die in the arse. $150 for a good new one and she'll be apples.

(Yes you can get cheaper batteries, but IMO it's worth getting a good one on these little buzzers.)
  18. Top call on the battery, got a new one installed and the bike is up and running again.

Chalk it up to a good learning experience as I now also know two good way to push start a bike and re-educated myself as to the fuel tap positions.