Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Un-even Idling on GPX250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Doomsday_Streetboarding, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

I've been having some problems with my '98 GPX lately... Originally it was starting problems, but they have sorted out.

Now when it idles at traffic lights, the revs go up and down. They should sit roughyl at the 1500 mark... but they drift between that and 2500... at an uneven rate...

Also when I turn the handlebars to the left and pull the clutch in (right before i turn the bike off to get off it) the revs go up to 2000 and stay there...

Any ideas?

2. I dunno what the reason for the revs raising when you turn the handlebars is but my bike did the same thing with uneven revs at the lights, i just had the carbs cleaned and balanced and everything is sweet.

3. accelerator cable is stuck / caught. Check the route of the cable to make sure it is not caught on anything, ie making it so taunt that it opens up the throttle.

4. Ah alright cool. Well it's booked in for a 25,000km service this Monday... and getting the right indicator replaced and a new chain and sprockets fixed and a whole bunch of other stuff done... I'll mention it to them and see if they can fix it up while they're at it.

Cheers guys.

Nick.

5. yea the uneven idling sounds like a carb balancing issue and the revs rising when the bars are turned are definetly a throttle cable issues get them to lube and adjust the cables as for the carbs i guess they'll need balancing

6. Cool cool. I'll get them to sort it out.

7. Just read something that might be useful to you:

from: http://www.users.bigpond.com/jack_stands/motorcycle_advice/carb_balance/carb_tune_1.html

HTH,
    Phil

8. Thanks mate. I'll let you know what happens after it get's looked at on Monday.