Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ullo from a bike courier

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by minoz, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Great forum this, lots of interesting reading and nice folks by the look of it.

Anyway, my name's Martin and Im a long suffering Sydney bike courier who plys his trade on a 2000 SV650.
    Weekend mistress is currently a 1200 Bandit and project shitter is a GSXR400.

I like quiet walks on the beach, and I eat red meat.

2. I don't like beach too much but red meat is my favorite. :cool:

3. your level of tolerance must be huge

4. Hello and welcome. :biker:

Like walks on the beach!!!!! ,it reminds me of a website i seen for ladys looking for love.

Adds read like this ......

Looking for love.
    Age ..open.
    Sex... male or female .
    Interests... ,""long walks on the beach.""
    Location... ,new york state penitentiary.
    About me....Doing life for murder .

Like... HELLO you will never see a beach again :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ladys of the pen ...........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Keep an eye out in the sydney section ,where going to hooters soon ,im sure they got a good T bone. :)

5. Welcome to you Minoz, I bet you've got a pocket full of amazing stories to tell....

6. Actually had lunch at hooters last week, great food.
    Interesting place to eat....not as tacky as I expected.

7. G'day and welcome!

Bike courier in Sydney, eh? :eek:hno:

:LOL:

8. G'Day mate welcome. feel free to come to the many sydney events that are on around the place.

the next one coming up is at the ranch on herring rd epping

9. G'day Minoz

Ex Crisis Mobike Courier here mate.

Who you bladerunning for?
    Don't tell me, let me guess...Mail Call?
    I hope the pay's improved?
    I know the traffic hasn't. :LOL:

Welcome to NR mate.
    Catch you at a dinner or ride day and we can tell each bullshit stories about our adventures in the CBD.
    You do bridge hopping, general/inner or long distance?

Cheers: Jaq.

10. Hi Jaq,

Havent lowered myself to mailcall yet, they have about 48 bikes at the moment too!
    Im with (in)Direct Couriers, doing chatty to mascot runs but have gone all around Sydney and would do so again if they let me outta town once in a while...better perve in town tho.

The pay hasnt changed in 10 years even though the running costs sure have. The easy money is definately gone but you can still earn a living at it if you are mad enough.

I'd love to come and meet some of you guys so I'll be there as soon as im done moving house .
    Havent had a ride that didnt involve delivering somebody's stuff for a long time.

11. Good stuff Minoz.

I'm working the next couple of dinner nights, and also for the next three weekends at least, but I'll catch up with you in the future.

Speaking of the future...surely more courier companies must be seeing the light in regards to bikes being used instead of small cars around the inner and outer CBD?

Do they pay the bikes car rates at your place?

You contract for them (and so pay all your own expenses?) or do they employ you as staff and pay a set kilometer rate?

12. It's not that the courier mobs dont like us, it's the clients who often dont want stuff going on a bike.
    Too large or fragile or whatever. Sometimes they just dont want a grubby dripping bikie inside their multi million dollar offices lowering the tone of the place.

Mail Call is the one company that loves the bikes and aims for bike work instead of the heavy car and van loads. Remember some stuff simply wont fit on a bike (although we try and convince clients that that fragile laptop really will make it over there alive if they just trust us.)
    It's good, if we dont like where something is going or it doesnt pay enough, we just declare it too large for a bike and move on.
    Operator sits in a cage in his office so he just has to believe us. (we are all great liars as well)

Car rates and bike rates are the same now, only the few pushbikes left get less, and some of those on on an hourly rate which is good for them.

The money is still just piece rates, CBD to North Sydney still pays 5 bucks for a standard.
    Works on a flagfall plus km rate like taxis get.

If you do the hours, the money can be made but it aint easy.

13. I agree with the " it's not an easy job " part mate.

A couple of us have discouraged some of the Netriders from taking the work up.
    I'm sure you will be cheered up to know that mobike courier in any large city of the world was for many years listed on the Worlds 10 Most Dangerous Jobs. :LOL:

If you've been doing it for a year ( or much longer) you're obviously a Top-Gun rider Martin.

Most riders don't get the distinction between riding to work in heavy traffic and bladerunning for hours every day, week after week in and around the CBD's. (ie: riding on a knife's edge.)

Someone here once asked me who I considered the worlds best riders to be (because I took the piss out of Valentino Rossi :LOL: )
    GP racers just ride very fast around a big fuking circle, in a very safety controlled enviroment.
    I said I believed the best riders in the world were the guys and gals who competed in the Paris Dakar, the Finke Desert race...and any professional motorcycle courier in any large city in the world! :beer:

Take care mate watch out for the :jerk: in :driver:

Cheers: Jaq.

14. Ive been doing it for 9 years with barely a scratch.
    Heaps of near misses daily. Must stay awake.

Sure it's dangerous but at the same time it's a great way to build up your skills in traffic.

When you give it away and just commute sedately? later on, you find it all so easy.
    Been trying to give it up for most of those 9 years but I dont fit well into the usual slave regime.
    Every time I had a real job I'd find myself going out at lunchtime for a ride!
    Better to just stick with what I know until I get the shits with it bigtime (again).

I tell people I work as a "Motorcycle Durability Consultant"

15. 9 years?

Wow, that's impressive Martin.
    From a survivor aspect as well as tolerating all the various shite that mobike couriers put up with.

I did it when when I first started riding, again when I needed work in the early 90's and then again for almost a year in 95.
    I do not miss the pollution in the City or returning home with a blackened face and red eyes.

I do miss roaring around the CBD streets, jumping islands and footpaths, riding across Macquarie Place, up and down steps, u turns at traffic lights and just generally ignoring any of those silly road rules. :LOL:

Did you ever meet Bill from Western Oz? Rode a Moto Guzzi and later a CX 500. I also used to chat with a girl who rode an SRX 600. Both worked in the CBD.I forget what company they rode for.

I understand about the slave comment all too well mate.

The walking dead, the citizens, the zombies, call them what you want.

I could never do a normal job.
    Like you I tried, when I was younger.
    I'm not a 9 to 5 guy. :cool:

16. 9 years?

Wow, that's impressive Martin.
    From a survivor aspect as well as tolerating all the various shite that mobike couriers put up with.

I did it when when I first started riding, again when I needed work in the early 90's and then again for almost a year in 95.
    I do not miss the pollution in the City or returning home with a blackened face and red eyes.

I do miss roaring around the CBD streets, jumping islands and footpaths, riding across Macquarie Place, up and down steps, u turns at traffic lights and just generally ignoring any of those silly road rules. :LOL:

Did you ever meet Bill from Western Oz? Rode a Moto Guzzi and later a CX 500. I also used to chat with a girl who rode an SRX 600. Both worked in the CBD.I forget what company they rode for.

I understand about the slave comment all too well mate.

The walking dead, the citizens, the zombies, call them what you want.

I could never do a normal job.
    Like you I tried, when I was younger.
    I'm not a 9 to 5 guy. :cool: