Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ukraine lurches towards civil war

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Deadsy, Feb 20, 2014.

1. It's an unfolding tragedy, people are talking about partitioning the country as a solution. The two side seem preety intractable in their positions.
  2. You mean there are bigger tragedies in the world than schappelle corby's circus, someone should alert the media.

Hope the protesters get some international support or recognition before they are massacred
  3. Troubles, troubles everywhere, I read during the week a report from a missionary organisation in the Central African Republic of over 100 murders happening every week, and NO international press reports at all......
  4. Australia has become like the US when it comes to reporting of International events.

Back in the 80 and 90s we could claim the higher ground, but not any more. We've become too self absorbed.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. More a case of competition. Local media doesn't have the reach to report effectively in competition with foreign sources that are now readily available online. You aren't going to watch seven news or read the herald to figure out what's happening in Syria (if you're interested), you'll be watching the beeb, reading a Lebanese English language paper (or just running a translator) or any other middle eastern newspaper that has a free online website with local information.

Reporting international news was always a niche for the interested, papers only do it to attract additional custom (on top of people more concerned with local affairs). The interested parties are now googling the hell out of their interests and arriving at much more in-depth reporting from the local papers, or bigger media, from the area that they are interested in. No sense in fighting for their custom when it would drive your operating costs through the roof to do so. Local media inevitably fall back and concentrate on Australian news because they already have the people and capacity to handle coverage (minimising their competition in the information game, as al-jazeera, the guardian and the new york post don't exactly have a hundred reporters camped out in Bali, Port Moresby or Canberra).
  6. Mostly the get their international sources from Bloomberg, Reuters and BBC.

With the exception of the ABC, they've never really had international deployment.

Now they've just stopped bothering.

But I'm not blaming the media for this specifically. I think there has been a change in the Australian mindset in the past 20 years. They have become much more selfish in their mindset.

This last part I do blame the media for, along with 3 year electoral terms.
  7. Seriously, who needs ANY Australian news outlet when you can browse hundreds on-line?
  8. There is truth in that, but what I have found is many online outlets can be quite bias at times. You have to be quite critical of what you are reading.

So, whilst I'm assuming you will disagree with my Hornet, I have found the SMH one of the better papers in the world, along with the NY times.

Although I acknowledge the Herald has gone down hill, between it's click magnet articles and the Reinhardt influence.

9. I'd guess that's what the various newsrooms were asking themselves, and the answer they came up with was "for Australian coverage". Can't expect the Washington Post or the Daily Mail to cover Aussie politics, traffic problems and local sports. Got the market right there, might as well concentrate on it.

They make up a little of the difference in using aggregators like AFP, AAP, Reuters et al, but the desirability of actual foreign correspondents has seriously passed its heyday. Nothing at all to do with any mysterious rise in apathy, which has and always will be apparent in the majority of any given population (who rightly or wrongly don't see conflict in the Ukraine as being of much interest to them). The people that cared before still care now and they shop elsewhere for their information. The people that didn't care before didn't read those articles in the first place and are just as content that the papers no longer give as much space to such issues.

You've got that obvious market size issue as well. In depth reporting costs money. An American paper might be able to afford to send a guy out into the field to cover interesting obscurities or controversies for a few months (because with their market share they are doing nicely for cash), but the comparable Aussie paper is not making that sort of money, so they just have limited capital to invest in public interest journalism.
  10. I lost all respect for the SMH when the news story that Gillard went on a cooking show when the Syria chemical weapons was unfolding was a bigger news item than the fact that Syria had used chemical weapons.

It's beginning to look more and more like the terror everyday.

Though I don't care enough to change the link in my bookmarks to the ABC. I'm a creature of habit.

Footage from both sides.
  12. I was watching ch 9 news and I didn't see anything 'newsworthy'.

Al Jazeera is good for news or PBS.
  13. Come on! Of course we still need the news here. Where else can we watch Ben Fordham or Martin King's foot-in-the-door pulitzer prize winning journalism!
  14. I don't pretend to understand the situation on the Crimean peninsula - what has lead to this set of events. I just hope (without much hope at all) that no unarmed people are killed.
  15. http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...unless-the-west-understands-its-past-mistakes

Written by an ex Liberal PM no less.
  16. It's a pretty dangerous moment for the Europe (the world?) right now. The following video shows the tensions:

Next time, the Ukrainian soldiers might keep marching and one of those rounds might find a target. And then what?

It's not just about understanding what is happening in Crimea. This is more about the geopolitical shift happening in our world. America doesn't seem to be the superpower it used to be, and Russia has not been afraid to flex its muscles in recent years. Last century it took two world wars and the Cold War for the superpowers to sort themselves out and leave one "victor".
  17. ‘So, now we [Kerry] are threatening to start World War Three because Russia is trying to control the chaos in a failed state on its border…The last time I checked, there was a list of countries that the USA had sent troops, armed ships, and aircraft into recently, and for reasons similar to Russia’s in Crimea: the former Yugoslavia, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, none of them even anywhere close to American soil. I don’t remember Russia threatening confrontations with the USA over these adventures.’ - Kunstler