Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National UK v Aus penalties

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Valkrider, Apr 15, 2015.

1. I posted on another thread that I think the UK penalties for driving offences is more severe than in Australia. So I thought I would ask for a comparison.
    Just recently I've been watching a real life police series that was filmed in Bendigo and was astonished by some of the penalties that seemed lenient to me.

Just for those that don't know, we have a points system on our licences, if you reach 12, you get a driving ban. If you are a new driver, you only get up to 6 for the first two years.
    I'll start with a common gripe.

Use of a mobile phone/device while driving = 3 points £100 ($194) fine

Not wearing a seatbelt = 0 points £100 fine

Speeding -= For just over the speed limit 3 points £100 fine, for quite a bit over the fine could be up to £2500 ($4850). If you're caught more than 30mph over the limit, expect a 6-12 month ban.

Drink Driving = an instant ban of at least 12 months and several hundred in fines.

Driving while banned = Instant arrest, extended ban and more fines. Get caught a couple more times and it'll be a few months in clinky.

Even eating at the wheel will get you 3 points and a £100 fine.

I realise that some States in Australia may have different laws.
  2. G'day up there Valkrider, what I've been led to believe is that Queendland licenses are 12 points and 4 points for p platers. The fines are a bit steeper than yours 341 for a phone, 1065 for 40k over speed limit, seatbelts are same as phone. No offense to eat and drive though, and drink driving is .05 where I think you are .08 I could be wrong though
  3. NSW

• Unrestricted licence – 13 points
    • Professional drivers – 14 points.
    • Provisional P2 licence – 7 points
    • Provisional P1 licence – 4 points
    • Learner licence – 4 points
    • Unrestricted licence with a good behaviour period – 2 points within the term of the good behaviour period.

For unrestricted licence holders, the period of suspension depends on the number of points accumulated:
    • 13 to 15 points - three months
    • 16 to 19 points - four months
    • 20 or more points - five months
    • For provisional and learner licence holders, the suspension period is three months.

Use of a mobile phone/device while driving = 3 points and $311 fine
    for L/P licence or school zone, 4 points and $415 fine

Not wearing a seatbelt = 3 points and $311 per seatbelt

Speeding - 1 to 7 points (+ insta-bans) and $109 to $3702 fine
    +30k's = 3 month holiday, +45km = 6 month holiday, + any suspension from points

Lane Splitting, 3 points and $623 fine

Drink Driving = an instant ban of at least 3 months up to 3 years.
    maximum fines, $1100 to 3300 and 18 months jail (first offences, second offence is basically doubled)

Driving while banned = depends, can be years and thousands and/or jail.
  4. I don't think this applies in NSW anymore, at least not if your related to a Crown prosecutor & can call them up on speed dial at the time of your accident and get excellent legal advice telling you to fake chest pains so the police cant do blood tests.(allegedly:rolleyes: )
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. In Vic the penalties are similar. Maybe a bit lighter but enforcement is draconian. Its rare to go for a run and not pass a mobile speed camera or two. Most weekends the highway patrol and bike cops are also around. Melbourne is infested with fixed speed cameras. We were in the UK last year and its comparatively relaxed.
    Forget what the fines are but in suspension & points,

1-9kph over 1 point
    9-24kph over, 3 points.
    25-34kph over 1 month suspension + 4 points
    34-45kph over, 6 months suspension + 6 points
    45kph+ 12 months suspension + 8 points.
    but 45k over can also bring a criminal charge like driving at a dangerous speed.
  6. Is this Saul you're talking about? ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Interesting insight, as an emigrated UK national now living in Aus, I would say, looking at your statistics at least, it would definitely appear that the UK has a much more severe stance.

However, my years of experience as a ‘legal’ road user in both UK and AU is that due to enforcement Australia is much tougher in real life.

A few examples, there are no ‘booze buses’ in the UK, so drink driving detection is done either by attending crashes, a good tip-off or right-place right-time policing. As for speeding, in most circles it’s known as an ‘idiot tax’. Roadside cameras are obvious, the area will be signposted to show it contains speed camera and the devices themselves are painted florescent yellow.

I could go on-and-on with loads of additional examples making my reply TLDR but my general point is yes the penalties might be higher in the UK, but the detection and conviction rates are very flawed.

For contrast, I’ve been booze-checked more times in the last 4 months than my entire 10+ years of driving in the UK. I’ve also had 4x the amount of speed tickets in AU for infractions that ranged between 4 and 10km.
    • Informative Informative x 4
  8. In Queensland, perhaps, but not in Victoria. Smart people like us realise that sort of thing would result in people slowing down.
  9. Sorry, my original statement is unclear. The whole comparison bit (Booze and Speeding) relate to practices observed in the UK, not AUS.

All four of my speeding tickets were issued courtesy of VicPol. The sneaky monkeys even hide speed cameras in red-light cameras, so if you hurry a little to get through on amber, they get you on a speed charge instead (ask me how I know)
  10. I was watching that Emergency Bikers show set in Pommeyland and the earlier poster who said enforcement was less robust in The Old Dart seems to be correct. Ever seen a bike cop in OZ catch another motorcyclist well and truly over the speed limit and offer them a safe riding course instead of a visit to The Beak. They came down hard on dangerously stupid stuff and gave a lecture on less dangerous stuff.Impressive to see. More impressive was the zero tolerance to mobile phone use,also impressive.Seems like way less reteric and more real work policing
  11. Ahhh. Still, the general thrust of my humour remains valid :p.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Can't really comment about current road stuff, as I've been here quite a while.

It just occurred to me, however, given the thread title, that, in the old days, the Poms used to punish folk by sending them to Oz.

And, when I think about it, there are quite a few folk here in Oz, that I'd happily send to the UK on a one-way ticket.
  13. NSW the red light cameras are speed cameras all the time, not just when yellow.
  14. I rode in the UK (illegally - no licence) for over 20 years (yeah I know, I'll spank myself later) and have ridden here since 2001 (legally).
    I always thought that it was more draconian here for riders until I went back to the UK recently.

Apart from the scooterists in London I saw no bikes except a few GS riders in the full Charlie McBoorman getup doing an epic ride to the local chip shop.

It looks like the 1,000's of speed cameras and other measures have killed riding for the casual/commuting rider in the UK.
  15. Scotland looks like plenty of fun,between rain bursts
  16. I'm learning quite a lot through this thread, very interesting.
    Last year I was happily cruising along just over 80mph in the outside lane of a dual carriageway which had a speed limit of 70mph.
    In my mirror I saw a bike catching me quite quickly, so instead of pulling into a busy inside lane and slowing down, I just moved over to the centre line to give him enough room to pass.
    He pull along side and it had to be a fully marked police bike.:facepalm:
    I got a severe telling off by the plod at 70mph+ by him tapping his speedo and mirror and wagging his finger at me.:(
    With a gracious wave I took the bollocking and proceeding along at 70,,, well at least until he was out of sight:D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Not only the penalties, but the methodology: Victoria prefers covert detection and notification several weeks after the event.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. I just got back from a trip to London and I saw lots of bikes, including plenty of scooters but everything else you see in Aus, too. Maybe you went in the wrong season?
    Edit: many of the bikes I saw (a notable portion) had L plates. Either rider turnover is high or they are experiencing a motorcycling renaissance.