Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National [UK] - UK police doing somethng positive for riders...

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, May 24, 2011.

1. POLICE motorcyclists are riding out this week to begin filming key biker routes for a hi-tech road safety project.

Lincolnshire Police motorcyclists will capture county roads on video and provide a commentary covering sharp bends, hidden dips and refreshment stops for the benefit of the biker community.

The information will be available via the iBiker app for Android and the Apple iPhone.

One popular biker route to be filmed is the A631 between Caenby Corner and West Rasen, and then into Market Rasen and on to Louth.

Particular hazards to be highlighted along the way include the speed camera at Bishopbridge and the sharp turn at West Rasen.

More here
  2. forwarded to
    The Hon. Duncan Gay MLC
    Minister for Roads and Ports.
    The Hon. Gladys Berejiklian MP
    Minister for Transport
    The Hon. Michael Gallacher MLC
    Minister for Police and Emergency Services
    Minister for the Hunter
    Vice-President of the Executive Council
  3. WTF? Where's the cashola in that?

Seriously Tony. Stop it. I don't want to feel that I need to the UK.
  4. Funny old world innit! This was the exact aim of the GOR video that VR attempted a few years ago. However with their customary ability of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, they managed to completely miss the point and turned it into an almost worthless piece of bad acting and even worse scripting.

Another great idea coming out of Europe is the categorisation of roads based on risk. Personally I love the idea, especially if it was applied to rider roads using the skiers categories starting with nursery slopes and extending through green for the novice, blue experienced and on to 'Black runs". Anyone want to start the ball rolling by nominating one from each category?
  5. Blacks Spur, Green,
    Eildon to Jamieson, Blue,
    Anglers Rest to the turn off for Falls Creek, Black,
    Monaro Hwy, Black
  6. Heidelberg/Kinglake, Blue
    Hotham/Harrietville Black
    Eildon/Jamieson (downhill section) Black
    Mansfield/Whitfield, Blue
    Toolangi/Healsville, Green
  7. I rather disagree with this as it can give the impression that there are roads where a novice has no right to be which, IMHO, is bollocks. Unlike ski slopes, there is no road that cannot be ridden safely by a rider of any ability given a realistic self assessment of that ability and a readiness to self impose appropriate limits. If that rider happens to hold up a knee-down hero or two, that is the hero's problem not the novice's.
  8. Is that physical or financial risk?

Icy Creek - Baw Baw Black
    Skyline Road Blue
    Mt Buffalo Road Blue
    Tawonga Gap Blue
  9. I'm undecided about it.

I do think it's not entirely a bad idea in that it will give people an idea of what to expect. If you have a hankering for lots of tight corners and some excitement you know exactly where to go.

I'm also against it because I'm one of those people who likes to keep the really good roads to myself as much as possible.
  10. I'm sorry, but I don't understand this, could you try being literate?
  11. Of course a novice is entitled to ride on any road they choose, however I'm sure we all agree with the concept of gradually building skills and experience. This is nothing more than a tool that allows greater information and aids the decision making process, whether that be in advance pre-ride, or actually at the location.

"Unlike ski slopes, there is no road that cannot be ridden safely by a rider of any ability given a realistic self assessment of that ability and a readiness to self impose appropriate limits."

Of course the first bit of the above is right, but history and our knowledge of novice riders, tells us that not all novices (or indeed so called experienced riders) are well equipped to make realistic assessments of ability and readiness, nor are they able to impose reasonable limits. Any advice that helps riders make good decisions is good advice. Conversely I suppose, for those who like a challenge, the grading provides a ready method of identifying the roads with more challenges.

Bollocks - such a great word don't you think?
  12. All the roads I mentioned can be ridden by novices or newbs,

But by the time they get there they will be worn out from the distance travelled to get there,
    They are very narrow Twisty roads, Not reccomended for a tired rider of any degree,

Falling off a bike is not fun,

Dropping over a cliff face a couple of hundred feet high can be extremely fatal,
  13. Hmm. I dunno. How are riders going to learn without doing? And whilst I won't denigrate theoretical advice or group rides with experienced riders, the first is not terribly effective without first hand experience and the second is not necessarily attractive or available to everyone.

Bottom line is that, ultimately, the only way to learn to ride a bike is to ride a bike and to do so on a wide variety of roads and in a wide variety of conditions. There is no reason whatsoever why someone who is capable of negotiating a T-junction or performing a U-turn without falling off (and novices who can't do either of those after a few days are pretty rare) cannot safely negotiate any bendy public road in this country. It's far easier to do than surviving urban traffic. They may not be able to do so as quickly as an experienced rider, or even at the local speed limit but, last time I looked, neither of those was compulsory.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Far too much overthinking seems to have crept into motorcycling (I blame the Keith Code gravy train myself :D). If you've been riding a pushy for a decade or more before getting on a motorcycle, you should have no problems with the basics of getting a single track vehicle around a bend. Tidying up the techniques can come later.

Or maybe I'm underestimating the reduction in juvenile pushbike use over the last couple of decades.
  14. Learn by doing - there's a concept. Of course riders should and will tackle all manner of roads in all sorts of conditions. I wasn't aware I'd implied anything else. A system of coding roads by risk isn't prohibitive in any way. It merely tells the user about the risk to be expected, a kind of advance warning and no different from any hazard sign on the road or speed advisory sign in that respect. Glad to see you're giving this plenty of thought though.
  15. Fair enough, you didn't. However, I've seen, on a number of fora (and possibly this one too though I can't provide a reference), cases where ostensibly experienced riders have suggested, about various roads, that novices have no business on them because the road is "too technical", "too dangerous", "novices hold up the experienced" (hey guys, if you want your own private race track, maybe you'd better rent a real one) or whatever. I have also seen a number of cases where novices with what appears to be a reasonable degree of competence have shied away from riding on particular roads because of said road's internet reputation of technicality/difficulty/danger, thus missing out, unnecessarily IMHO, on the range of pleasures of the road that don't involve pretending to be Casey Stoner.

My concern is that a rating system may go some way to reinforcing such attitudes which I consider to be, potentially, counterproductive for motorcycling as a whole.
  16. Have you ridden any of the roads over here Pat, They are a lot different to the roads in WA, I have ridden and driven most roads in WA, Especially the ones in the bottom south west corner, Perth to Albany,

Very tite twisty roads, continous hair pins, You run wide on a corner, There is no margin for error,
    No grass or edge to run off on, the edge of the bitumen is the top of a 200 foot drop, The other side is a vertical cliff face,
    The road is barely 2 cars wide,
    I like learners to have a bit of experience riding and cornering before I take them on these roads,

The Stelvio pass is a good example of our roads, Except ours are covered in trees and you cant see them, They are just as twisty if not more so,
  17. Only between Cann River and the turn off to Eden (Imlay Road), even then it's only a small section that would be "black", I'd say overall most of it would be blue to green. (It goes all the way to Canberra remember) For the vast majority of it the biggest danger is falling asleep from boredom or getting done for spending more than a $1.00.
  18. Must agree, the Northern part is so boring, I was only talking about the good part,
  19. Haven't ridden much over East but cut my biking teeth in the UK where roads are equally nadgery, if not more so. Google Hardknott Pass for one example. Wales and Scotland are particularly good fun with permanent rain, lots of off camber bends, lunatic locals and nice big stone walls to catch you if you stray an inch from the bitumen. Or a long drop into a 300 ft deep loch. So yes, I'm familiar with roads that involve bends, hills and no margin for running wide and I stand by my statement that I would consider travel on any of them to be within the capabilities of any novice with more than a week or two's unaccompanied riding behind them. Spirited riding is another matter, but a novice at that level of experience should not, IMHO, be attempting much in the way of spirited riding anywhwere.
  20. I see some value in noobs knowing before they set out that a road is tricky. An experienced rider ought to be able to adapt, but noobs can inadvertently get in over their head. If they want to extend their boundaries let be an informed decision.