Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

UK to trial remote shutdown of speeding bikes?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Gromit, Aug 13, 2006.

1. As reported in that quality UK newspaper The Sun.

The idea being that your bike is fitted with GPS and various other gizmos. If you speed you get a warning, ignore it twice and the throttle gets shut off by Big Brother.

Sounds like codswallop to me, though the UK seem to be big on remote speed control for cars. Profoundly dangerous, and a great way to kill people in the name of safety.

2. I have posted about this before.

I can see it now. Take bike to a track day, While hoiking it around the track, the system makes a ~50m miscalculation and thinks that you're on the public road next to the track, and shuts down the bike throttle mid-corner at full-lean. Resultant forward weight bias either washes out the front wheel causing a low-side, or if you're in the middle of a power-drift, the throttle is cut causing an instant high-side.

You can read all about ISA here: http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/projects/isa/

3. They should just shoot speeding riders down. Same result.

4. The best articles in the Sun are on page three. :LOL: :LOL:

5. Mmmmm... I remember page three well from my time in the UK. I also remember another quality paper, called the Daily Sport I think. It was page three on every page! :p