Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

UK: throttle cut-out mechanism to curb speeding

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Ktulu, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Tracking bikers’ speed smacks of ‘big brother’

Marc Meneaud

MOTORBIKE enthusiasts Tania and Dave Winterburn have hit out at “big brother†proposals to monitor bikers and force them to cut their speed.

The couple, who own a Leamington motorbike accessory shop and have been keen riders for 30 years, say government plans for new compulsory devices that can track individual bikers are “farcicalâ€.

Ministers are exploring the introduction of the devices - expected to cost hundreds of pounds - which automatically cut the throttle on motor-bikes to bring them within the speed limit.

Known as Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA), the devices will also be able to track bikers’ journeys and store data about each motorbike’s speed.

If further trials are successful, the devices could be brought in for cars and other vehicles in an attempt to drastically cut the death toll on the country’s roads.

However Tania, co-owner of Motorcycle World in Union Street, Leamington, said: “We have been bikers for more years than we care to mention and we have found that bikers are all lawabiding citizens who agree with riding sensibly.

“Everyone knows that there are young kids getting on bikes and speeding and going too fast but bringing this in is going too far.

“It is worrying that someone will be able to track you and control your speed. It is big brother.â€

Tania, of Fosse Way, Radford Semele, said shops selling motorcycle equipment would also suffer if the compulsory devices - similar to satellite navigation systems - were introduced.

She said: “Will the riders be forced to pay for this? If the government is bringing in the devices the manufacturers should pay for them.â€

The devices have already been tested at the Motorcycle Industry Research Association (MIRA) in Watling Street, Nuneaton, amid proposals to introduce them on new bikes and cars.

Tom Warterer, technical director of the Motorcycle Industry Association, based in Eaton Road, Coventry, has been involved in research into the ISA devices in motorbikes and cars.

He said experiments had been carried out using a buzzer in a helmet or a vibrating seat which is triggered when a signal from a roadside beacon detects the rider is breaking the speed limit.

More controversial proposals include fitting devices that control the motorbike’s speed.

I doubt this will be implemented.
    And if it is - the after-market De-activating that ****ing useless piece of **** the gov wants on your bike for only $145 will be HUGE.

I'm not even going to bother listing the ways this thing would kill motorcyclists mid-corner and during overtakes... it is so obviously a bad idea.

See how politicians can not be trusted to make legislation on their own?
  2. Are you crazy? It's a dumb idea which would increase the risk to motorcyclists under the guise of improving our safety - that's exactly the sort of thing that governments in Australia love to implement.

Yep. The trick is removing any impetus they have for bringing in stupid measures like this.
  3. All politicians should be surgically implanted with devices that apply a strong electric current to their tender parts whenever they implement goddamn stupid ideas like this one.
  4. That could work. Although one potential problem is that they might enjoy it.
  5. ...or simply not feel it :wink:
  6. In my younger days there were times where I needed the car to kickdown and needed maximum acceleration over a short distance (that's why you don't overtake where there's double white lines :eek: ). Devices that make you overtake someone who is going 95km/h at 100km/h are plain stupid. You'd never get past road trains that way.
  7. Get a lot of road trains in Notting Hill, do you?

:p :LOL:

8. Smarty :p . Its when I was living in Central and North Queensland.
  9. Where you live now, I reckon you'd only break the speed limit if you were in a hurry to get down to the Nott...
  10. Shhh, don't tell anyone!
  11. I think it's a great idea should be introduced on police cars and bikes only though. :grin:
  12. I had to check the date - nope, not April 1st....

Ferfarksake, goddam safety nazi's. Poor poms, they beat the nazi's once, but they seem to have taken over anyway. :cry:

Would be the first thing disconnected (should it occur here) when I buy a new bike. :twisted:
  13. its a funny bullshizt world.

we have tigerbalm able to be imported but you can not harm the animals.

we have hemp based moisturiser, again able to be imported and sold, but you can not grow the plant.

now there is talk of speed restrictors (ok in europe- they must love ghost rider and the like), yet we have roads across aus with a 110klmh as the general maximum limit... yet i test road a brand new zx10r the other day that could reach 165klmh in 1st gear... with five more waiting after that. despite our rules and regs. this is allowed to be sold. then they complain and then want to impliment a restriction.

fukin crazy!

it wont happen. and surely the motor vehicle industry would jsut dry up if it did, as a lot of people would merely not upgrade their vehicles for new 'restricted ones'. then the motor industry crashes or the decision is reversed. otherwise, bar the gov doing a buyback and swap of all old cars, it wont happen.
    like my kombi. pre 64 so no seat belts/ultra basic. it has very few complying standards now. but still able to be registered and driven. and i wont give it up for anything... :cool:

here is a side note for consideration. obviously repsonses should not be here... ( hijack) but it is the same political bullshizt.

mate got taxed on a new concrete slab for a shed by our local council... wait for it... a tax was imposed for the impeding of water to soak into the table water. thats right! got taxed for laying the slab which prevents the water from otherwise soaking into teh ground.
    the fact it goes on the roof and into the gutter, and then the council jsut sends it to waste anyway dont count. rather than work on the redirection of that said wasted gutter water... go the easy route and score some tax dollars instead...
  14. This throttle intervention system (which uses satellite tracking and GPS mapping) requires the space hardware and associated road mapping to be in place before it can be used. An advisory body pushed the state governments to introduce this here about three years ago, but the gummint was less than impressed when it discovered that the cost to operate was going to be far in excess of the current system.
    Even issuing fines instead of controlling the throttle was going to be a massive loss-maker. I wouldn't get too concerned for Australia just yet.
    In the UK, the infrastructure is much closer to being in place, and trials have been conducted over small areas. Those trials (depending on who you talk to) were either partially successful, or a total disaster. One tester did crash at one stage, but whether it was due to the system is open for debate. The British Motorcycle Federation has recently noted that they think the government has gone a bit cold on the idea, so it's wait and see at present.
  15. haha. a bit like the movie 'fifth element'. where each verbal swear word produced a fine no matter where yu were.
    damn if that little fine invetion came to be, i would be a walking paper trail... and then i would probably get fined for the littering and destruction of forest... :LOL:
  16. * Demolition Man :)
  17. Don't for one minute think that this will NOT happen here!
    When Vic and I attended the focus group discussion last month, this is the type of stuff they were on about, amongst other things.

It is being researched here, it will be implemented, it's only a matter of time.
  18. As I didn't go, can you tell me - was that run by a private organisation or consortium? My understanding of the investigation a few years ago was that there are certain companies anxious to sell this technology to the government. At that time the government got spooked by the cost.
    I still think the authorities will only be interested if it can be made into a money-spinner like speed cameras.
  19. The discussions revolved around a number of different technologies, and from my understanding if and when they are implemented the cost of having such devices on our bikes will be factored into the purchase price by manufacturers of the new bikes, and older bikes will have to be upgraded at the owners expense. They estimated about $300 per bike for the GPS units(could be slightly more or less my memory aint the best in this heat). I'm not sure how much the infastructure will cost to implement, but I'm sure if it becomes a revenue raising possibilty the goverment will jump aboard quick smart.