Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National [UK] This is why apathy in this country will kill motorcycling look at the brits for inspiration!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by smee, Sep 7, 2011.

1. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N.../sep0611-rider-demo-promises-motorway-mayhem/

2. I understand your point, and I agree with it. But what sort of action would get results here? Vicroads would LOVE to see traffic speeds reduced to 45mph (say 70kmh)in a protest ride. They would use it as justification to lower the permanent limit.

You could close a road completely, but there'd be a risk of criminal charges. And there's the issue of communicating the message.

Something like a non-stop 24 hour convoy of very slow moving bikes circling CBD/Spring Street? (I've always though the steps of Parliament would make a great venue for the Toy Run :grin:).
  3. I
    I don't really want to have a go at you personally titus, 'cos your posts are generally excellent, but these two paragraphs illustrate perfectly a point that I've noticed a lot here in Oz and have raised before on NR. A tendency to look for reasons why something can't be done/won't work, rather than a determined effort to make it work.
  4. Then go slower. Once you have a whole city of people arriving to work an hour late, then youre bargaining on terms a government cannot ignore.
  5. Having joined critical mass in Sydney as a cyclist in order to raise awareness of cycling as a viable means of transport and to promote awareness among cagers of bikes on the road I wonder whether the effect was more negative than positive. The point of protest I know is very different but surely any form of organised inconvenience in an attempt to force legislative change is not really helping a cause. Look at the miners strikes in the 80s or the fuel protests in 2000 - desired results not achieved.

I don't want to be a nay sayer but isn't there a better show of solidarity among bikers that would garner wider public and thus government support? It is fighting a nanny state mentality which is quite widely unsupported.
  6. This is an Australian attitude to most things

same was said about my business when I started by my relatives

no one will want to buy kevlar jeans
    no one will want to buy gloves
    no one will want to buy carbon fibre helmets
    You have wasted your time and money on this business

etc etc etc

Now they just shut the **** up once I proved them wrong

I will be happy to participate in something like this UK thing if held in Australia
  7. But Smee, didn't we try this just over a year ago, and have it backfire on us?

You were involved in the organisation - as I recall...... and yes so was I - and I don't need to be reminded what happened.](*,)

Yes, this is inspiring, but motorcycle riders in Australia are poor supporters of things like this. For a start, we just don't have the numbers to generate the sort of support and action required.

I wish we could do something like this....... But, in Europe they have a population base which is 10 times bigger than Australia, that is where this idea falls over in Australia....:cry:
  8. bah humbug stop thinking numbers

you just need the right people in the right place doing the right thing
  9. But, that's exactly what we did last time. We agreed during the planning for that event that we didn't need huge numbers. But, after the event people got upset because THEY didn't think we had enough numbers.

I agree - you don't need huge numbers. 30 or 40 bikes can make a point.
  10. The thing is that UK motorcyclists are facing stiff changes, motorcyclists do come out in numbers when they are facing dramatic changes as shown in the recent protests against changes in NSW CTP, (whilst it may not have worked we got big numbers)

Spreading the impression that Aussie motorcyclists are apathetic is counterproductive and will result in it coming true.
  11. <sigh> I know you're right, even if that wasn't my intention.

The UK response it absolutely right for them, given they face different challenges, and operate in a different environment.

I do still think It's essential to get plans exactly right for them to work. I like gsxxer's comment about going even slower (spot on). I agree with Takamii about a few people in the right place doing the right thing.

(Right now, this is just talking generally, I guess. There isn't a specific campaign on the table, AFAIK).
  12. I never said that Aussie riders are apathetic. I just said that we don't have the same numbers to draw from.

But, when there is an important issue - they will come out, as you quite rightly cited with NSW CTP.
  13. I was actually referring to the title of the thread, which is why I quoted the OP.
  14. I retract my statement - small numbers will be viewed as a small minority of the motorcycling group who may be at odds with new laws etc

The larger the number the larger a percentage it will be viewed as
  15. More people will come when an event can be made into a bit of fun. And making people laugh gets them on side.
  16. I like the "how slow can you go on your bike and still balance on major arterial roads during rush hour" game.
  17. I'd be very interested to learn the results of the UK protest. Personally, I don't think pissing of other road users is a good idea. (Especially as a percentage of them are anti-bike as it is)

The way to effect change is from within. Political representation. Find out who the pro motorcycle pollies (from both sides) are and give them a shake. They need something to take to their bosses - 'This policy is pissing off a lot of our constituents'

Then have a rally / protest to keep it topical, but not at the expense of others.
  18. Doesn't make the point of a few thousand. Part of the issue would be getting the message out there. I suspect, most riders into the city would support such causes. Given there is no unifying organisation, maybe something as simple as leaving flyers on all the bikes parked in the city one day might be enough to raise some awareness... Or at least get some traction.

Hell just set a date for a protest ride, and plant flyers on every bike you can see in sight for a 2-4 week leadup.

I think the various forums available is proof that people are willing to do something, but it is getting the message out there and organisation to begin with that is the issue. The nice thing about melbourne in the day is that all the cbd riders park their bikes together... A hundred or flyers out on a set of bikes, 20 or 30 times over would be no issue... All that would be is to get a date out there, a purpose and some sort of contact detail (website or otherwise) where people could get more info.
  19. Well, don't just tell me about it. Why don't you organize it? I'll attend.

That's the problem - you need someone to organise it, I've done that in the past. I want to attend one where I've had nothing to do with getting it set up and running.