Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

UK - Speed monitoring via satellite

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Primax, Apr 27, 2010.

1. http://www.leftlanenews.com/uk-monitoring-motorist-speed-from-satellites.html

Bloody hell. I hope VicRoads doesn't find out about this.

2. That'll save a few lives! Oh wait, they're not even concerned about that... "In a bid to further raise funds and keep drivers in line...".

3. From the same administration that tried to introduce active throttle intervention by satellite, for motorcycles. That plan was found wanting, so don't be surprised if this one does, too.
    In any case, point-to-point is really only a problem for those in a hurry to get somewhere. Doesn't worry me as much as some of the other harebrained schemes, but I suppose it depends on how they set it up.
  4. im moving to thailand. i can put up with the odd bombing
  5. The UK continues to reinforce my opinions of their government. I'll leave it at that.
  6. All they are is mobile average speed cameras with GPS so that they can move them around...

Annoying but not the end of the world...
  7. +1 to Stigger, 30 cents of aluminum foil and oh dear no more communication or GPS pickup.
  8. It'll still need a camera by the side of the road to take your picture. Cue the burning motorcycle tyres....

One also wonders at the accuracy, especially in leafy areas, and on cloudy days with poor visibility. I also would've thought that overhead vehicle recognition would be rather difficult at satellite altitudes, unless you're running some pretty damn expensive high-bandwidth high-resolution kit, ala miltary grade equipment.

What if it's a two lane road, and two similar looking cars swap lanes while obscured from view?

Too many technical difficulties unless they vehicles were being actively monitored by real people with a live video feed, and even then mistakes are likely.
  9. im bringing out my foil hat again... and then moving far away before bikes and cars are outlawed.
  10. It's a camera with GPS nailed on the side so that they can set them up at will without having to do all that tedious measuring stuff...

It's interesting how some parts of the country are getting rid of cameras while others are coming up with new or more interesting ways to be cocks...
  11. What did I damn well say?

12. Just speed in the tunnels ah can’t do that that’s where the cameras will be placed every 50M.
    its not going to work, do the what us to have numberplates on the roof?
    or some device to ping back your licence....
    dont see this implemented
  13. Oh shite, had a feeling that was the next step.....
  14. um have you noticed how good the poms are with average speed cameras?

High-tech new speed cameras on one of the country’s most popular bike routes are useless due to an apparent oversight.

The new cameras are aimed at catching motorcyclists on the A537 Cat and Fiddle road from Macclesfield to Buxton, Derbyshire.

They have been installed at five points along the road and riders are timed between them to calculate their average speed.

But camera bosses have apparently failed to take into account that between two of the sites there is a shortcut with a higher speed limit.

these guys make vicroads look competent!
  15. Dont worry folks, soon vehicles will be fully computer automated! We'll have absolutely no control other than entering the destination.

Oh dear what will happen to that speeding revenue? cue new bullshiet taxes...
  16. I hate to tell you all this, but the technology is already here and in use.

Several transport companies already employ satellite and GPS tracking to check for, among other things, over speeds.