Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National UK speed limits to increase

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Heli, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Speed limit on motorways to rise to 80mph =D>

If only the nongs in our State Governments would stop seeing speed as the be-all and end-all when it comes to road safety. IIRC, the UK has a lower accident/100,000km rate than Victoria, which constantly faffs on about how good they are :rolleyes:

130kph plus keep right unless overtaking would ease congestion and stop the tailgating we suffer: yes/no?

2. And yet The Telegraph headed the article that I quoted:

Journalistic latitude, I wonder?
  3. If 'consultation' means the same thing there as it does here, then it IS a done deal. Kind of a shame that I've already done my submission to the Vicroads speed limit review.
    Brave move, minister (possibly even courageous). If it comes off without an increase in kitten carnage we will have some useful reference material.
  4. This report also verifies that the limit will increase in 2013. If only we could get some of the numpties in Gummint to start thinking the same as these quotes from the UK Transport Secretary:

Can you imagine the palpitations that Ken Lay would have if only the Victorian Gummint would come up with these lines (y)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Oh I love this quote!

I'd say more than 50% here always drive over limits and why everyone see's cameras pinning everyone for a few k's over the limit as revenue raising...
  6. You reckon we could pump him up 'til he goes pop?
  7. Yet another article on UK road safety, courtesy of UK's MC News...

In it the relevant minister said that 5 people a day die on UK roads. That's 1,800 something deaths a year.

The UK has a population approaching 60 million in an area smaller than Victoria. So, it's pretty squishy over there.

On a direct numbers comparison, Victoria had around 300 deaths last year for a base population of 5 million. If we extrapolate that out to 60 mil, then we'd be looking at around 3,600 or more than double that of the UK's fatality rate.

So, what are the poms doing that we're not? They don't have the same level of strictness being applied to speed limit compliance for starters. Are they simply better drivers? Do they have a better training regime, stricter (in terms of passing the licence tests)? What?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tell the TAC to shove those figures up their pipe and smoke it
  9. It's tougher to get a license in the UK and we aussies also do greater distances - the two combined lead to higher crashes. It's not rocket science. The TAC, Vicroads and VicPol are intransigently stuck on the speed kills mantra.

Whilst the focus is inordinately on road systems and speed, with a smattering of crashing safely and gains from safer vehicles, we can expect a very generally slow decline in injury and fatalities.

On that topic, In NZ recently, they whacked a dirty great WRB down the middle of a 2 lane one way, one lane the other way road - fatalities reduced, crashes went up by over 50%. That's vision zero to a tee - we don't mind you crashing, so long as you do it safely.
  10. Funny that. Here in Vic, if you drive in such a manner that you're at RISK of crashing they will crucify you, even if you don't come anywhere near doing so. However, if you crash, in the case in NZ's example, then that's OK?

Further, they go on about the 'cost to the community'. What costs more - severely injured people who require expensive hospital and rehab care, replacement income coverage and other welfare benefits; or fatalities where there's generally a once off cost (the funeral and attendant inquest/mortuary expenses)?

This whole thing is so bizarre, I reckon...
  11. IMO the simple answer is 'yes'. They are also in general more curteous. I think the fact that the traffic is denser means they quickly learn that they can't get away with much of the dangerous shit I see people do in Victoria every day. I base these statements on comparing the last 5 years I have lived and driven in Victoria with the previous 20 years I drove in the South East of England.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. is it far more difficult to get a motorcycle licence in the uk is it not?
  13. Yes it's MUCH more difficult. The testing here in Aus is a joke.
  14. Another factor is vehicles.

Australian roads are full of dangerous old wrecks (particularly here in QLD) that wouldnt have been allowed anywhere near a UK road in the last 20 years.

UK MOT test that is required on any vehicle older than 3 years is very tough and together the the damp 'rust inducing' climate means that cars effectively become worthless and unroadworthy after about 10 years.
    As a consequence people buy new cars, which are safer. (also means that second hand cars seem ridiculously cheap until you realise how much its gonna cost to get it through its annual roadworthiness test!)

Also petrol being outrageously expensive means that fuel economy is much more highly valued in the UK and cars driven are typically smaller, with much smaller economical engines. There is no 'teenage hoon in a V6' (let alone V8) culture in the UK - the best that can be managed is a 2L 4 cylinder (more likely a 1.6L). Consequently you dont get the single high powered vehicle losing control and ending up in a tree type of accident so much.

Give everyone good driver training, put everyone in newer and sensibly powered cars on well built, properly signed and maintained roads and guess what fewer people die - its not surprising and has very little to do with speed limits and enforcement.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. UK does have hoon laws though, so that must be in response to something.

...anyway, I was just making a side comment.

Carry on.
  16. No, that's a salient point.

Those who I've spoken to who have driven in the UK (and Europe), all tend to say that traffic speed monitoring and enforcement isn't such a huge thing. ie. the traffic flow on the M1 (I think that's the major freeway over there), may be doing 80 mph with a 70 mph limit but police would only intercept those driving silly, such as weaving, erratic driving or significantly faster than the traffic flow.
  17. On top of all that, the much higher traffic density and harsher winters makes the U.K. rate make here look like a joke. True that the distances and country roads here are a factor, but the per km stat still gives ours a flogging.

But with the much higher population density sharing the cost, better A-roads are on offer.

I wonder how phone usage while driving compares to here, and also the relative percentage of manual shifts in the cars.
  18. I'd agree on that it's been a while since I was home but yeah average speed on motorways was 80.
  19. practically all county (read state) police forces have a semi-official 10%+2 tolerance on speed. Even on the fixed cameras. This means yo can travel at 79mph on the motorways and most divided roads without any real risk of getting a ticket. The concern about raising the motorway speed limit to 80mph is that people will then happily travel at 90mph. I've got two thoughts abot this; the first is that 80mph is still comfotable for mmost people (evem my mum!0 whereas 90mph is 'fast' I know that perceptions change over time, but even so, 80mph is easy cruising for most cars but 90mph is starting to work the engines. My other thought is......so what?

Most motorways still don't have fixed cameras so there's still apretty high police presence on the motorways. If you're not speeding but acting like a dick there's a fair chance you'll get nicked for it. Eventuall even if not immediately.

Can't see anything like this ever happening here in Victoria. Driving standards are too poor. A national rationalisation would be nice though. If 130kmh is okay on the Stuart it should be okay everywhere. Unfortunately if there is a revue over here it's likely to lower everythin to 100kmh.