Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Uk] Speed cameras don't improve safety. Recent study UK

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Probably best if you read the report at this link

http://www.speedcamerareport.co.uk/07_5pc_per_1mph_report.htm

But the gist of the report is as follows:
    5per1mph%207.1.

5per1mph%207.2.

• Like Like x 4
  2. that's so funny. The perceived improvement due to speed cameras is actually just the reduction of the abnormally high accident levels back to average.

3. Very interesting Rob. I'm mildly concerned that the author may be too easy to dismiss as having no credentials. However, the data does appear to have been presented with honest intention and I'll take his request for review, feedback and criticism at face value.

Could it be the emergence of data like this that has prompted our Swedish Vision Zero friend to declare that more collisions would be acceptable provided that casualty rates continue to decline, as noted in another recent thread that I can't be arsed to find right now?

4. =D> So they're not Greed Cameras, or Safety Cameras...

Compliance Cameras :grin:

We'll need new stickers: Victoria: The place to Comply!

• Like Like x 1
  5. People were probably so preoccupied with looking at their speedo's that they weren't taking notice of what was going on around them. This is the thing that the gubbermunt fails to realise. "Road safety cameras" are yet another distraction, taking people's attention away from the vital task of keeping their eyes on what's happening around them!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Saudi Arabia must be feeling a little silly right now after committing to a camera program. As for Redflex ka ching!