Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National UK, New London Motorcycle Safety Plan 2014

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Mar 24, 2014.

1. I haven't digested the plan yet, but having had a cursory glance of this short and to the point document, apart from the focus on extra enforcement, it seems like a good piece of work. Note the very clear underlying context that filtering is just an everyday thing. Note that SMIDSY is the key cause of rider Killed & Serious Injury (KSI) stats.

The broad brush strokes are here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/29866.aspx

Have a gander at a copy here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/motorcycle-safety-action-plan.pdf
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Those links seem to be dead? Articles moved?
  3. Interesting - the entire website seems to be in a schizm. Other links mentioning the plan refer back to the same links above. Watch this space.
  4. http://www.itsinternational.com/categories/utc/news/motorcycle-safety-action-plan-for-london/

21 March 2014

Motorcycle Safety Action Plan for London

The Mayor of London and Transport for London (TfL) have published the capital's first Motorcycle Safety Action Plan designed to directly reduce the number of collisions involving motorcyclists and scooter riders.

One of TfL’s top priorities is to reduce by 40 per cent the number of people killed or seriously injured (KSI) on London’s roads by 2020. Recently, the Mayor and TfL published six commitments which, working with a range of partners, are guiding a range of work to deliver this. In particular, action is being taken to prioritise the safety of the most vulnerable road users: pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists.

TfL is redoubling efforts to improve motorcycle safety through its new Motorcycle Safety Action Plan, which was compiled by TfL working with representatives from the motorcycle industry and is based on detailed analysis of the risks and challenges faced by riders in London.

It outlines 29 key actions which will directly target the key factors in collisions, which will help to reduce motorcyclist casualties across London. The actions include: a TfL-funded Metropolitan Police Motorcycle Tasking Team to increase enforcement activity by 40 per cent, which will allow the team to further clamp down on dangerous behaviour such as speeding, careless riding and actions by other road users such as turning across motorcyclists at junctions; better use of offender retraining for motorcyclists as an alternative to prosecutions; promotion of the use of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) by motorcyclists, which can severely reduce the severity of injuries when involved in a collision.

Monthly high-visibility operations will also take place across London to target motorcycle, as well as cyclists and pedestrian safety. TfL will also carry out on-street trials of new technologies specifically designed to make motorcycling safer, such as innovative headlights which make motorcycles look larger to help reduce right turn collisions.

Other proposals include hard-hitting safety campaigns, a new Motorcycle Courier and Delivery Code and new design guidance for motorcyclists specifically tailored for London’s roads.

TfL has also published a new independent report which provides, for the first time, detailed analysis of fatal motorcycle collisions in London. This research looked at the police investigation reports for all fatal collisions between 2006 and 2009 and showed that most fatal collisions during this period (45 per cent) involved a “loss of control”, with half of these being recorded as exceeding the speed limit. A further 22 per cent involved vehicles turning across the path of the motorcyclist.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The links in the OP are back in action for those that are interested.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The thing I love about the Poms - so much common sense comes out of their approach to motorcycles. I have only briefly scanned the plan, but do agree with your initial review Rob. This is an excellent source document.
  7. I think much of the Pom attitude to motorcycles stems from their long, and largely unbroken, tradition of the use of motorcycles as utility transport for the many rather than (or, more correctly, as well as) weekend toys for the few. This has led to greater official recognition of motorcycles as a legitimate part of the transport mix than we see here.

Another factor has been effective, national representation by rider bodies for half a century now, starting with the BMF in the 60s and continuing with MAG which started in 1973 but only really matured into an effective advocacy body in the late 80s. With a combination of the State/Federal split in Australia and what appears, to an outsider, to be crappy, destructive internal politics, Australian riders have, hitherto, been absolutely rubbish at representing their own interests. Hopefully that's now a thing of the past.

And finally, the UK has a profitable indigenous motorcycle industry (albeit now largely manufacturing in Thailand). Whilst I haven't any objective evidence to back up the hypothesis, it always appeared to me that rider groups really started kicking serious goals at about the same time as Triumph got rolling in about 1991. Could be coincidence though.

It's not been all smooth sailing, by any means, for Pommie riders, but they've generally managed to get a better deal than we do here.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I think you'll find the Poms are so reasonable when it comes to motorcycles because for many years it was the only form of transport people could afford.

Unlike in this country, motorcycles were for many merely an affordable form of transport in the UK and Europe.

Pat beat me to it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I'm not entirely sure that motorcycles being universal utility transport is entirely a good thing though. When I was in Spain, back in '96, I was amused and slightly concerned to see, late at night, hordes of old boys wobbling out of the bars late at night, after a day on the local cider, climbing aboard an assortment of 50cc contraptions (cheap to run on a pension and no licence required so no licence to lose) and weaving their way into the unlit, lunatic infested blackness :D.
  10. We do have laws in Australia to stop that sort of thing. Even covers people who ride bicycles...... Spain is nothing like Australia.
  11. Yes, but the thread subject is specifically external to Australia. I was pointing out, slightly tongue in cheek, that in countries and situations where motorcycles are utility vehicles that very universality and utility can still have adverse effects.

I intended no direct comparison with the situation in Australia because, obviously, there isn't one.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Interesting document, and a good read.
  13. I believe in Queensland and WA you only need a car license to ride a 50cc scooter....
  14. Yes, but do it pissed and you'll still lose your whole licence.

TBH, I don't really care what moped riders do. Even a fat old git like me can reach their restricted maximum of 50 km/h on a pushie, given even a slight downhill, so I regard them as, effectively, push-bikes insofar as requirements for rider competence, sobriety and protective clothing are concerned, even if the law takes a different view.
  15. So drink driving/riding isn't against the law in Spain.
  16. It's certainly illegal for anything other than a moped. I'm pretty certain it's also illegal for moped riders but if there's no licence to lose and the practice is so widespread and socially accepted as to be effectively impossible to police, the result certainly appeared to be that it was de-facto legal.
  17. That would help to explain their economy.
  18. The UK choose to train their road users and then trust them to do the right thing with all those lovely dotted lines.

Meanwhile in Australia, we don't believe in training as enforcement earns more income and all our roads are double solid lines to cater for the lowest common denominator whom we don't train.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. This is true; you still meet bikers in the UK who _only_ have a motorcycle licence. They don't have a car licence.

Also true. The large majority of British roads are divided by a broken white line. Even in corners or what would be considered "blind bends" (no bend is blind provided you select a suitable speed for the bend so that you can stop on your own side in the distance that you can see to be clear) a broken white line is the norm. Solid double white lines (which prohibit overtaking) are generally used only where there has been a history of crashes and they are generally not used for traffic management. Broken lines are also the norm on the approach to junctions, which means it is legal to filter/overtake queueing traffic on the approach to traffic lights. Very useful. Exceptions of course, but that is the norm.
    • Agree Agree x 1