Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[UK] Motorcycles and Congestion - the effect of modal shift

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by TonyE, May 22, 2012.

1. Department for Transport
    Motorcycles and Congestion: The Effect of Modal Shift
    Phase 1 Report

This report has been prepared for and funded by the UK Department for Transport (DfT) and Transport for London (TfL), and is one of the deliverables for the research project titled “Motorcycles and Congestion: The Effect of Modal Shift”. The project’s key objective was to determine how policy can affect motorcycle usage and what impacts increased motorcycle usage would have on traffic congestion.

assisted by our very own Professor Marcus Wigan
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Interesting that the UK, a place that already encourages filtering, is looking at how to get more riders in order to help with their congestion issues.

Hellooooo TAC... anybody listening?!
  3. No Rob TAC are the best in the world at not listening to riders or anyone else "

Nice find tony :)
  4. And in the uk there is more people on the road than there is here.. and they have been trying to reduce congestion for years.. such as charging people to enter certain parts of cities ( Learned this from top gear). In cars.. so public transport is preferred.. and its ON TIME all the time compared to here where its up and down.

Is filtering legal over there? which i find interesting.. and i'm sure there hasn't been an uproar.

But Australia just has to be different.. and the only opinions that matter have power.. and i'm sure people have been fighting this for longer than i've been alive.. so if it hasn't changed now... is it going to change for the future?
  5. Motorcycles and bicycles are exempt from the congestion tax.

Filtering is not only legal, it's actively encouraged by UK Police (have a gander at youtube UK solo riders or similar).

Recently, the UK trialed motorcycles in bus lanes, and it's about to get rolled out more broadly.

The UK authorities are very concerned about motorcyclists though - they are forming 19% of the fatality numbers - but UK riders aren't actually dying in greater numbers - they just have the audacity to save themselves from dying at a lesser absolute rate, just like us, compared to car drivers. So just like us, the motorcycle slice of the fatality pie is getting smaller, HOWEVER, relative to the fatality pie, it's representing a larger slice (percentage) of the overall pie.

You can't expect pollies to appreciate the subtlety in the pie allegory - though I have tried with our own Vic Parliamentary RSC.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. As has virtually every credible rider submission.

From the Ulysses submission to the Parliamentary RSC

• Like Like x 5
  7. Didn't know they were exempt from the congestion tax rob (can i call you rob?)
    Maybe they should implement that here.. so there is fewer cars in the city.. and they're forced to fix the pathetic public transport system, that always dies in summer or they're always late etc..

Plus it would further prove motorcyclists/scooters aren't the problem.

I don't go to the city often, but i will be in the next few months.. and it is a fun experience with all the taxis and various muppets that try to kill you.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sydney has it completely backwards we pay a toll to skip under the city, either through the cross city tunnel of the eastern distrubutor but it's free to go through. Londoners must think we are compleatly bonkers when they come here.
  9. Umm, weeeell, the first trial, in Bristol, started nearly 20 years ago (I should know, I was one of the relatively small group who got it rolling) so it's taken a while to expand :D.

The congestion charge thing was an interesting case. From memory, when it was introduced in London, motorcycle use in the affected area went up by ~20% but motorcycle crashes went down by ~20% (absolute, not rate per VKT), giving possibly the clearest indication yet of the benefits of having more bikes on the road as a proportion of total traffic.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. British bike mag Motorcycle Sport and Leisure has a columnist called Leon Mannings who has been instrumental in getting the bikes in bus lanes thing happening in the UK. All of his columns so far (and I've been getting the mag for a year) have been very insightful and interesting.
  11. To clarify: bikes aren't allowed in all bus lanes in London. Bikes are allowed in "red route" ie no stopping bus lanes. At a rough guess, this is about 1/2 of all London bus lanes. Bikes may or may not be allowed in other bus lanes and often not if they are controlled by some hic country bumpkin local authority rather than the City of Westminster.

The other _major_ advantage in London (and the UK in general) is that the large majority of roads do not have double no-overtaking, no U-turn lines _anywhere_ including right up to traffic lights. This means that it is legal to overtake queueing traffic right up to the lights. In contrast, I note that most junction in Australia have double lines on the approach to traffic lights.

Many junctions also have advanced stop lines for cars with a bicycle box in front. Although not really legal, these bicycle boxes are routinely used by motorbikes... which have just taked advantage of the non-solid centre line of the road and overtaken the entire queue of traffic.
  12. That's entirely understandable. TAC's mission has nothing to do with solving congestion issues. In fact TAC misguidedly sees congestion as assisting it in it's mission (through lower travel speeds).

TAC will oppose filtering on those grounds alone. Economists, transport and business interests will be more amenable.
  13. I think this is the same research but the story dumbs it down to make it easier to understand. If I have it wrong....shoot me!

14. Threads are like people. Once they reach a certain age, they just stop listening.
  15. Yes you can, just click the little radio button at the bottom of the page that says you accept that the thread is old. I highly encourage you to post it in that thread if it's on topic mate.
  16. While I agree with its message, the poster is somewhat deceptive and potentially misleading.
    a) It assumes each car only has one occupant.
    b) Why the hell is the bus pic zoomed out so much further unless it is to distort the perception of space for casual observers
    c) The motorbikes are parked unreasonably close together.

I acknowledge that even if each car had four passengers they would take a lot more space than the bus but not a lot more than the bikes with only the rider on board. You average car is about 1.7m wide and 4.4m long or just a bit more than the size of 4 motorbikes (not scooters). Of course most bikes could carry two people.
  17. I'd say the vast majority of cars I've seen on the Sydney commute are 1x occupant, no matter how large. Everyone seems to want to take 1,500kgs around with them
  18. So the actual logical message of that series of pictures once the size distortions are taken account of is that Bus is more space efficient than Bike which is more space efficient than Car.

I don't think distorting perspective in the way they have to make bike look more efficient is helpful in getting permission to use Bus lanes personally, it just makes us look disingenuous.