Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[UK] Marshal Killed

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by pvda, Apr 25, 2006.

1. I was saddened to read on a British based forum that a marshal had been killed during a bike event at Oulton Park.

The following tribute was posted on the Racesafe (UK) website;

Paul Leonard

On Friday, April 21st, a tragic accident at Oulton Park cost the life of Paul Leonard, a founder member of Racesafe and well known at circuits throughout the North West. He was struck by a bike while marshalling at Lodge Corner and died of his injuries.

Paul was an excellent marshal with a lovely sense of humour and, after marshalling with him for some years at Lodge for BSB meetings, I feel I have lost a good friend and colleague. For many others of you, I am sure you have lost someone even closer.

To his wife, Rosie, and his two children, about whom he so often talked, I would like to send the deepest and heartfelt sympathies from Racesafe at this terrible time. Marshals (and people) like Paul are irreplaceable.

MCRCB and MSV offer their deepest condolences to the family and are deeply saddened that someone should lose their life serving the sport that they loved.

Mike Blakey

My sincerest condolences to my marshalling colleagues in the UK and to his family and friends.

Racesafe in the UK is not associated with the group of the same name here in Australia
  2. Everybody knows the risks, but no-one expects this to happen. It's very sad, and highlights the fact that it's not only riders who are in danger in our sport.