Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National [UK] Filtering bike seized by coppers under UK hoon laws, 2009

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Jun 24, 2011.

1. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N.../2009/June/jun2909-bike-seized-for-filtering/

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I just found this on motorcyclenews and it flawed me - and this happened even though filtering is legal in the UK?!

2. Pig with a personal crusade probably.
  3. My understanding of the UK laws is that they are similar to here - splitting/filtering is not specifically legal per se, just not explicitly illegal. It is a more accepted practice there because they have introduced government endorsed guidelines in relation to it (same as many other European countries).

If i'm misinformed hopefully someone from the UK will correct me.
  4. No, not quite. the UK Highway Code specifically allows filtering and in fact contains a range of advice on how to do it safely. The hoon laws in this quoted case were specifically created to be used against unregistered bikes on public land.
    Hopefully the victim-rider will get support from the BMF and others before this crap spreads.
  5. We know you aren't perfect Rob but I think you meant floored. . . Sorry, I couldn't resist.

That is an amazing interpretation of the laws, in that, if a rider annoys a driver, say by "Queue jumping" when filtering through traffic, they get one warning then lose their bike. Amazing!

So if a rider doesn't like pink and is annoyed when anyone wears it, can a Bobby warn the driver, and then take his car?

It all seems more than just a little bit silly.
  6. hahaha thanks Rod for flooring me about being flawed. lol

Some of the good oil on filtering in the UK.

I recall reading an article recently about a court case that set a precedent about filtering in the UK strictly recognising the right of the rider to filter.
  7. when I was doing my training in the uk I was specifically told if you have a safe chance to filter on the test you need to otherwise you would more than likely be penalised for 'Not making progress' and not putting yourself in a safe position.

This is a shocking story but given some uk coppers I've met before I'm also not shocked.
  8. Happened in North Wales. No more explanation needed.

(For those that don't know, a renowned part of the UK for anti-bike, backwards policing...)

Graham :)
  9. Thanks muchly, i've found the relevant section of the highway code. Is that the definitive 'road-law/rule'-book for the UK? Its thrown me a bit because it reads like a guidebook with a lot of tips and advice (e.g. #86: 'Daylight riding ... You could wear a light or brightly coloured helmet and fluorescent clothing or strips. Dipped headlights, even in good daylight, may also make you more conspicuous.' - does this mean fluoro is law?) rather than specific points/definitions of laws? That is, does the mention of filtering mean that there is a specific corresponding law relating to it?

edit: I've just realised that the sections in the highway code that relate to specific laws have a reference to that section of law beneath them. The #87 (lighting) and #88 (maneouvring) don't have a reference.

edit edit: Just want to stress that i'm not suggesting filtering isn't legal in the UK, just pointing out that in terms of law it is the same as here - not specifically illegal and therefore perfectly legal by default (and you can still get booked for other stuff while doing it). The difference is there its a recognised and accepted practice, here its the behaviour of sociopaths and criminals ;)
  10. Just goes to show in all parts of the world they can get you for something just because they want too ..

And what was that " Police issued a warning under section 59 of the police reform act for causing a distress and annoyance " what crap
  11. Thank goodness that stuff only happens overseas and we have nothing to worry about. Imagine that, losing your bike for filtering.
  12. Maybe not for filtering, but I would imagine the cops could confiscate a bike if they thought someone was hooning whilst splitting.
  13. Not so. The lawyer may have said that in an attempt to confuse the issue. Section 59 states:

The explanatory notes explain the reasoning behind the section:

One main point of this section is is:
    One would think that there would need to have been a complaint ormthey would have to apply a subjective test to the point of 'is likely to cause'. Perhaps Tramp or Justus could give us more of an insight into this area of interpretation of the law. It would be interesting.

14. Yep next time someone refers to Victoria being a Nanny state, I'll point them to Wales. Eh, Boyo!
  15. Not so GD. If you follow the bouncing ball you'll find my post was more tongue in cheek than commentary. If you follow the hoon laws and watch them slowly becoming all encompassing it will become apparent where we're heading and where we'll end up.
  16. What do you call a deer with no eyes?
  17. =D> boom tish. :D
  18. ASBO (Anti-Social Behaviour Order).

i think Rob should edit the Title to read 'ASBOs' instead of 'Hoon Laws'.
    since ASBOs are applied to a wide range of behaviours,
    yet our Hoon Laws are targeted at a specific range of offences.
    the title could lead people to think the two are more closely related than they actually are.

i am aware that part of the UK is renowned for their use of ASBOs.

one of the criticisms of ASBOs is their use to criminalise and
    mete out punishment for activities that have no specific law against them.

to understand how insidious ASBOs can be,
    have a read how another Police district defines them and their potential use.

if Australia ever adopted similar policies/acts,
    then a fair few would have something to worry about.
    maybe even for the manner in which they post on NR. ;)
  19. Closer than you think. We already have some of the features here. http://www.theage.com.au/national/police-issue-record-number-of-banning-notices-20100125-muhi.html

Also an ASBO comes under a different Act to the Section 59 provisions discussed above. The ASBO comes under The Crime and Disorder Act 1998.