Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

U-Turns are bloody hard.....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by wallyt99, Mar 30, 2009.

1. On my bike, I find it bloody hard to do it.

At full lock, my wrist is pressing on the the tank.... Looking right around....

Still tough.... are there tricks?

Should I push the bike over and lean away?

Should I go as slow as possible? Should I speed up?

Should I go in second and rev high? clutch in... rear brake?

Little help? The bike is real sporty... I have no probs doing uturns on other bikes.
  2. practice?
  3. I am also just learning, but for me it works best when I move myself to the left on the seat as far as I can, lean the bike to the right, add some speed (1st gear, fast idle, rear brake). Watch where you want to go. Practice more:)
  4. I can't practise this on full lock on my bike, way too close to dropping it if I screw up, I've tried on Harts bikes and was hopeless, yet the instructer (Mars I believe) was gunning it non stop at full lock goign circles around a cone. I just can't do it. I don't know how, and the problem is I can't practise properly with my bike out of fear of dropping it :( A foot down wouldn't stop me I fear, although on a flat surface I suppose it probably would.

I need to practise this heaps more, it is so out of tune with normal moto riding, ie. keeping the body swinging out to balance the bike etc.
  5. Counter-lean (lean in the opposite direction of the turn -- about the only time you counter-lean in riding), and turn your head ALL the way.

Those two are the biggest bits. You'll have to ride the clutch as well, but after that, it's about practice.
  6. Remember you only need to u turn enough to pass the test. Not sure what the box size is in Vic, but might start there I think.

When I first started doing u turns, I used just the idle to move the bike around... only later I realised a bit of throttle and rear brake makes a huge difference. It's actually easier if you go faster. I can u turn in 2 car park spaces now, but then my bike has an upright riding position. I also like to sit forward with the weight over the front wheels.

7. I never did U-turns in my test. :roll:

Well on topic, you should definitely practice in small streets.
    I've only done it a couple of times and don't really paid attention to it much.

Might also do it later and do that 'counter leaning' technique.
  8. ^+1
  9. Maybe some Oggy nobs to take some of the fear of dropping the bike? Once you get past the fear you'll realise it can lean over a lot further than you thought it could.

Also, revs high, slip the clutch and ride the rear brake. Practice somewhere with plenty of room and learn how coming off the rear brake and letting the clutch out stands the bike back up. Knowing how to stand the bike back up without using your foot will also help give you confidence in leaning it over more.
  10. there is a million topics on this same question, search is your friend
  11. No U-turn in the Victorian tests. :)
  12. Apologies, I should have checked.

Now I'm confused. If there is no requirement for testing u turns in Vic, then is it necessary to do one (and with full lock)? I wondering how often you're going find yourself on a narrow road thinking, "Gee I need to do a u turn at full lock, but bugger me, can't do it. Help!"

Don't get me wrong. Learning something new and being able to do it is great, but if you can u turn (you mentioned you can on other bikes), then do you really need to u turn with full lock? Diminishing returns...

13. U-turns are something that you find yourself having to do every now and then so it is a useful skill to have in your repertoire.

It's also necessary to be able to execute a U-turn in front of a group of fellow riders without cocking it up and looking like a complete twat. :shock:
  14. It's a skill worth having, even if just to prove your mastery of the bike to yourself.

When turning the bike put lean your body weight to the opposite side.

1st gear slipping the clutch with foot on rear brake - adjust as required.

Better to drop the bike in a controlled situation than do it in front of a car somewhere so get practicing.
  15. Some bikes are easier than others. What bike are you on?
    It's something that will come with practice and a handy skill to have.
    Its a good laugh when you see people who should be able to do U turns just paddle around :LOL:

Practice mate.