Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

U-Turns and MOST

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by annastasia, Mar 10, 2012.

1. I went for a bit of a practice session today. Concentrating on the things I feel most uncomfortable about. Did a few e-stops, I didnt have a single problem with stopping!!! was a buzz. Then I tried u-turns ...

I took four lanes to do it, and I needed it, I go way too wide but I know a lot of that is nerves, when I first got the bike and went to practice the first time my husband had me try u-turns and I dropped the bike twice before just losing my nerve completely, so I know it's something I have to work out of my system. I did bout 20 today, no drops so I'm pretty happy bout that!!!

But I read the MOST instruction from RTA before I left today and you have to do U-Turn in a space 6.1m wide. WHAT?!?!? How the hell can you do that? I'm almost starting to despair, I dont think I could even have done that on my old scooter and I never had a problem with U-Turns on the scooter

Oh yeah and I video'd it, it's crappy video but I can see where I get nervous half way thru the turn and straighten a bit before pulling it right round. I tried to see where I was looking while doing the turn but it was hard to tell in the crappy video, I do know I try to make sure I'm looking in the right direction but I wonder if I kinda look at the gutter ahead of me when I'm half way thru the turn which makes me straighten, I use my clutch and brake correctly I think. I know I can work on that with a lot more practice, I just cant ever see myself doing it in 6.1m.

2. Add a little more speed, rear brake only and keep looking where you want to go. Practice, practice, practice.
  3. Thanks Dsyfer, I guess I'm scared to go faster, more practice needed there, yeah I'm only using back brake, and I'm trying to look where I'm going, and succeeding most of the time, I'm not sure if I glance ahead to the gutter when I'm half way through, gonna take some better video next time to check that. (or i might even glance down .. not sure)

I guess my main thing is that I just cant believe I will ever get good enough to do it in the small space that RTA wants.
  4. If I can offer one point of advice, REALLY throw your head around and your body will naturally help you bring the bike around into the turn. That, and (as dsyfer said...) nice and gentle on the back brake.
    Also, I'd use your clutch a little bit as you balance your throttle to keep everything super controlled, relaxed and smooooooootth. :]
    Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Do you ride a Ducati... I had a monster, and the only part of it that was a monster was the massive turning circle LOL

Just relax and practice, you'll get it.
  6. Annastasia, when I did my test the main thing they were worried about was staying inside the lines. Depending on what bike you're riding it should be easy, as the others suggest turn your head and the body should follow just focus on where you want to go. Sounds funny but it works. Also if you have to put your foot down during the u-turn, leave it down and let it slide. You only lose points the one time. If you put it down and up and down again that's two lots of points lost. From memory I think three times and you fail so leave it down if you have to. With your emergency stop make sure the bike doesn't roll forward once you stop. A guy sic this and failed as it goes on speed and distance. He stopped in time but then let it roll. Most of all, exagerate your head checks, they look for that. Most of the trainers are good and talk you through everything and they are there tto help.they want you to pass and they know if you ride or not. I am sure you,will do ok. The trick is to just relax during the test don't panic and you will pass. If you need to practice paint some lines or cut two tennis balls in half and mark out the u-turn test in a quiet car park and practice. We had a guy do a u-turn on a hyosung 650 cruiser and they are a big bike and he passed. So you should do ok. Hope these tips help and good luck.
  7. Just before you start get your husband to stand behind you and 6.1 metres to your right. When you are starting the U-turn keep your head up and look at your hubby's face. Keep looking at him or just to his left which is where you should finish.

Using the throttle, clutch and rear brake as described above, practice until you get it right and then practice some more.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks guys, and great suggestion Banzai, if I see the whites of his eyes I'm probably gonna hit him eh :D

Actually it's an awsome suggestion and I think I'm gonna get some tennis balls and try to set something like that up to practice with. If I can get hubby to stand still and not run when I get close to him :)

I ride a Honda Shadow, yes it's a tad unstable at low speeds, tho I've been practicing with that, and I'm not too wobbly, but it's long and I just feel like I'm gonna oversteer and drop it. I know I need to just practice and I will feel more comfortable after doing it for a while. So my focus is going to have to be on my head positioning I think.

Kurnell sanders, thanks for that, you've made me feel a bit better bout it all, tho I dont put my foot down, I just go too wide, the few times I've been forced to do u-turns in tighter streets with nowhere else to go I've been fine, tis like if I have the room my brain is just telling me to use it all.

Anyways thanks for all the great feedback guys, when I crack it I'll be here yelling bout how I did it !!!

Watch this space :p
  9. We will be waiting for the victory announcement...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I found pointing my chin at the exit point was the best thought process. This covers "keep the head up" as well as the "look where you're going". You might have to counter balance (hang off the high-side of the bike) to get the turning circle small enough -- this has been described better by others (try a search).
    • Like Like x 1
  11. You need to lean the bike over in the u-turn also. At the point you turn your head when you commence the turn, really push the bike over as far as you can to the right, whilst leaning your body to the left (or at least staying upright). Some bikes are easier than others but it comes down to practice. I can do it under 6.1 on my CBR929 and an FJR1300 so you should be able to do it with plenty of practice.
  12. Steady high RPM against rear brake + counter balansing works for me. I can do a U-turn in less than 5m w/o even a full stearing lock (GS500). Don't be too slow as suggested as well. I don't turn my head to much btw, just enough to see where I want to go and initially it is the center of the turn not the exit.
  13. Practice is great, made even better if you have help. Depending on what's available in Dubbo, there might be a social practice section or Stay Upright course. In Canberra there are often social practice sessions held, but again, not sure about Dubbo. It can be a lot of help to have someone spot for you or give you a couple of tips to help improve.

As far as what bikes it can be done on. My GS500 was easy to do it on. I can do it on my Harley without any trouble. And one of my old friends can do it on a Ducati 996. It can be done on pretty much anything, just need practice and instruction.
  14. Practice, practice, practice
    It was the double u-turn that had me worried as well.
    Just work your way up to being comfortable with the steering at full lock.
    While doing the test it was pointed out that I wasn't keeping my eyes level as that helps a lot with confidence.
  15. I thought u did very well but hey i don't have a bike so u did better than me lol
  16. I am still yet to go for my P's but one thing I found helped with my old motorbike is find somewhere seclusive (carpark etc.) and do the figure-8, start wider and as you build confidence bring it in and narrow it down to a tighter turn until you have the confidence to do it first time, of course I have to do it all over again due to getting a much bigger bike but that worked with the smaller one and should be the same in theory
  17. as previous posters have suggested practice practice. Me and a friend used to go to a quiet car park every friday night and just practice. we set up cones and kept at it. The first few weeks were ordinary the last weeks were perfect and we both passed THE most 100%. better to be over prepared and confident then worried and allow the nerves to take over when the pressure is on.
    • Like Like x 1