Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

<U.S.> 13 yo girl shot in road rage incident

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Only in America... and probably here too if we allowed guns:

Sad story :(

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    http://www.khou.com/home/HPD-14-year-old-girl-shot-in-head-while-riding-in-moms-car-86336722.html

Man charged in 13-year-old girl's shooting death says he fired in self-defense

HOUSTON—A man accused of killing a 13-year-old girl after a road rage incident told police he fired his gun in self defense.

Richard Calderon, 24, is in the Harris County Jail facing murder charges. His bond is set at $50,000.

Police say Calderon shot Alexis Wiley, the daughter of a TSU police officer, in the head as she was on her way home from a high school basketball game.

The fatal shooting happened late Wednesday in the 14000 block of Fleetwell in southwest Houston.

Police said the victim had just left the game and was riding in the backseat of her mother’s car when a Cadillac ran a stop sign and hit them.

Investigators said the Cadillac, driven by Calderon, kept going after the crash. Wiley’s mother decided to follow the suspect down Fleetwell to get a license plate number.

As the mom followed, police said Calderon turned around, got behind the mother’s car, pulled out a gun and opened fire.

Wiley was shot at least once in the back of the head. She was rushed to Memorial Hermann Hospital but doctors weren't able to save her.

Wiley's classmates at HISD's Johnston Middle School were shocked Thursday to hear that she had died.

"It's been a really sad atmosphere here and everybody misses her," said Mia Delafuente, an 8th-grader at Johnston. "Everyone knew her as the goofy, fun girl."

Nearly 100 students talked with grief counselors at the school Thursday.

Family friends described Wiley as a teen who lit up the room.

"She did not deserve to die like this,” said family friend Deboroah Solomon, known to Wiley as "Aunt Dede." “She's only a child. I do forgive him for taking a life and may God have mercy on his soul."

Another teen passenger and Wiley's mother were not hit, police said.

"It doesn’t look like the victims did anything to bring on the shooting. They didn’t participate in any way in any kind of violent act. They were just trying to pursue the person that struck their vehicle and get the information off that vehicle," Sgt. Robert Torres of HPD Homicide said.

Investigators were able to get a description and the license plate number of Calderon’s vehicle from Wiley’s mother.

A short time later, they said they found Calderon at his home, which is near the site of the shooting. According to police, Calderon told them he did something bad. They found a gun inside his home.

Calderon does not have a criminal history, and he has a concealed handgun license.

In a written statement, TSU Police Chief Roger Byars said officers from his department went to the hospital after the shooting to be with Wiley’s family.

"As Chief of Police for TSU, and speaking on behalf of all members of the department and indeed all members of the TSU community, the officer’s entire family are in our thoughts and prayers as they deal with this senseless tragedy," Byars wrote.

Calderon is scheduled to appear in court Friday morning.

2. Brought to you from the safest country in the world...

that sucks.

3. Stories like this and still they defend their constitutional right to bare arms in the same way they do the right to free speech. United States of Idiocy.

4. Actually, I have a constitutional right to bare arms which is why I wear a T shirt a lot.

The constitutional right to "BEAR" arms is another matter entirely.

=D&gt;

5. Truly tragic :(

6. at least they defend it.

we have the right to neither.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_sedition_law

some snippets:
    any body of persons, incorporated or unincorporated which by its constitution or propaganda or otherwise advocates or encourages:.. bad stuff... revolution or war against either any civilised country or organised government;

ie. anti government groups...

oh and the ADF :p

seditious intention as [a]n intention to effect any of the following purposes:
    (a) to bring the Sovereign into hatred or contempt;
    (d) to excite disaffection against the Government or Constitution of the Commonwealth or against either House of the Parliament of the Commonwealth;
    (f) to excite Her Majesty's subjects to attempt to procure the alteration, otherwise than by lawful means, of any matter in the Commonwealth established by law of the Commonwealth; or
    (g) to promote feelings of ill-will and hostility between different classes of Her Majesty's subjects so as to endanger the peace, order or good government of the Commonwealth;

funny i didnt know we had a class system.

An intention to use force or violence to effect any of the following purposes:
    (a) to bring the Sovereign into hatred or contempt;
    (b) to urge disaffection against the following:
    (i) the Constitution;
    (ii) the Government of the Commonwealth;
    (iii) either House of the Parliament;
    (c) to urge another person to attempt, otherwise than by lawful means, to procure a change to any matter established by law in the Commonwealth

sorry if thats off topic. its tragic. but lets not just bash america

7. Yea and ban motor vehicles, knives, clubs actually just about anything, way to use someone’s tragedy to push your own barrow =D&gt;

I feel for her family.

8. Since when has the US been safe???

9. Only in America... and probably here too if we allowed guns:

"An armed society is a polite society."

Of course there are exceptions.
    This little girl should not have died, but occasionally little girls (like people) cark it, through the negligence or maliciousness of others.

The man responsible will go to prison for a very long time, and not be allowed a gun in the future.
    Which is more than we do for f***wits who kill people with cars...

Not saying we should all have AK47's or anything Rob, but firearms are not as bad as the Australian government would have you believe (while letting them take them away from you and make the laws governing their control stricter).

It is the firearms laws in this country that the police abuse to harass people brought to their attention via the anti-association laws.

"We can walk into your house any damn time we please, and anything we see is evidence."

10. well at least they still have rights and choices.

I do feel for family though

11. But it is a valid argument…
    He sais he did it in self defence…
    What could he be defending himself against??? Oh they may have a gun.
    If Guns weren’t such a rampant part of American society this sort of tragedy could be averted.
    It is not about pushing a barrow, It is about people learning from there mistakes. And if Americans opened there eyes they could see that these tragedies could be avoided if they changed there perspective on firearms.

12. If you wish to argue this start a new topic.

13. the guy was a total spaz by the sound of it. but you can kill people with a match... or a kitchen knife... or a golf club

14. citation_needed.

'If Guns weren’t such a rampant part of American society, this little girl would have grown up and discovered the cure for cancer...'

15. Ummm Someone made a statement... You argued against it

16. Yup, I would like to blame my pain relief drugs but I will have to 'bear' all responsibility for that error.
    Barrow pushing? How? With or without firearms road rage occurs but for this family it has seen them lose a young life because the of the indiscriminate use of a handgun. My point is that a different attitude to firearm ownership might reduce these sorts of tragedies.

17. Ummm no.

18. Actually you did by going on about barrow pushing.
    The initial post mentioned why guns should be banned and you countered it later so it is in topic and stands, by you introducing a counter argument you did exactly what you denied.

19. That is not an argument; did I state anywhere that firearms should/should not be restricted? So no I have not argued for or against anything. But calling a whole nation idiots because they hold different beliefs to you is pushing a barrow.

20. What barrow?

There's never been a thread anywhere about a tragic gun death in America where the right to bear arms and the gee whiz gun totin lovin shootin mentality doesn't come up.

It's an alien concept to Aussies. It's a natural discussion point.